It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Cheilectomy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Cheilectomy

Well, had it Wednesday. All went well except that there was more damage than we thought. While there was a good bit of cartilege at the top of the joint, that didn't extend down to the bottom of the joint. So he had to drill the cartilege at the bottom in hopes of promoting scar tissue to add to the cushioning. Nausea is getting to me from meds but am well otherwise. Glad when I can walk!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
glbeacher
(male)

glbeacher HB User
Re: Cheilectomy

keep us up to date. hope you heal well.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

All is well so far. Nerve block has worn off. Backing off the pain meds. Quit the antibiotics (which were my main problem). Stitches out on the 30th

Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
debbie g
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

speedy recovery to you. debbie

The Following User Says Thank You to debbie g For This Useful Post:
Titchou (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
glbeacher
(male)

glbeacher HB User

Titchou,
did you go under general anesthesia.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Oh heck yes!!!!!!! And a nerve block...not something you want to do while awake - unless the sound of saws on YOUR bones is your idea of fun!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
glbeacher
(male)

glbeacher HB User

I figured that, didn't mean to sound stupid. I didn't know you had to have a nerve block also.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

I didn't HAVE to have it. He justs does it unless you don't want it. And I went along with it.I will say it kept me awake all that night as it wore off. Like when your arm goes to sleep and gets all tingly when it's coming out of it? Well, it's like that but over a MUCH larger area and takes HOURS! UGH! Not painful just annoying and no sleep. Once it went away, I went right to sleep and had a great nap!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Cheilectomy update

Well, it's been a month and all is going according to plan. Incision has healed nicely - still a little sensitive but that's to be expected. Have good movement in the joint, doing my exercises, out of the boot as of yesterday. So am making progress.

Hope all of you are doing well.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Mary57
(female)

Mary57 HB User

I had my cheilectomy done over 9 months ago and my toe is in worse shape than before the surgery. I'm in much more pain now. It hurts to walk even with my athletic shoes on, never mind wearing any other type of shoe. My surgery was performed by a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet. I had cortisone shots a few times over the past few years and decided to finally have the surgery done. He told me my toe would be 80-90% better - painwise. Well I'm so sorry I got it done and now he recommends fusion. He said don't let any one talk you into a joint replacement because they haven't perfected them yet for small joints and he's seen some horror stories. I'm really afraid of a fusion because it's so permanent and I would never be able to wear heels or flip flops in the summer. I don't really wear heels now because they are so painful, but I would like to wear at least a 2 inch heel when I need to dress up. I take anti-inflammatories right now just to be able to walk but this is not a good option long term. My internist told me that taking anti-inflammatories on a regular basis can cause health problems down the road. The reason I got the surgery was so I wouldn't have to take anti-inflammatories any more. I'm so depressed about all this and don't know what to do. I would like to get a second opinion, but at this point I think my only option is fusion, and I've read some posts where people say their foot hurts even after fusion. Anyone have good results with fusion? What about finding shoes to wear after the toe heals? FYI, I am female, late 50's who would love to be active if my foot would let me.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Northwind
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi Mary, I had my toe fused two years ago. My doctor said he could do either a cheilectomy or a fusion. He explained both, and said he thought that I would be better with a fusion. He figured that IF the cheilectomy worked, it would only work for about a year. I decided to go for the fusion. It was a difficult decision for sure. My joint was bone on bone, and even flat shoes were painful. I spent a fair amount of money on shoes the year before my surgery, and after the Keen hikers weren't good enough, I decided to do something. Now I am much more active again. I walk daily, and in fact walked in a two day/60 kilometre cancer walk in Vancouver in the summer. I would never have been able to do that walk before the surgery. I probably could wear about a 1" heel now. I just haven't tried it yet....actually I have. I have some Dansko clogs that I can wear again. Sadly, my other foot and ankle have been complaining lately, so that is one reason why I have not checked prettier shoes. I'm going to the doctor on Thursday to ask about it.

It is my understanding that they recommend fusion for people who want to be active. I was freaked by the idea that a joint would be so permanently damaged. I realized though, that it was already toast, so this could be a solution. I have also come to realize since that it really is a small joint that causes a huge amount of pain. Now that the joint is fused, my foot has more stability, so it improved more things than I realized. Also, don't let people tell you it will negatively affect your gait. My gait was already messed up because of the foot pain. Now I can walk with a normal gait.

Good luck. Life is too short for sore feet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2017/18.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
debbie g
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi, i am so glad you are feeling better. i cancelled my foot surgery for claw and hammer toe. now i think i have another bunion. it never ends. i dont want to be laid up again. i think next sept i will at least take care of the bunion.

Closed Thread