It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Finally - Cast off - almost 8 weeks!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
adbow
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
Finally - Cast off - almost 8 weeks!

Hi!
I was so excited....I had calcaneal osteotomy, debridement posterior tibialis tendon, transfer flexor digitorum longus tendon to navicular, and gastrocmenius done on April 29th...and I got my cast off today! The bones have healed nicely and the screws are in place. I have an open sore/blister on my heel at the site where the screws went in. And all the dead skin! YUCKY... I'm sure how to get it all off...but I'm hoping when I get to soak in the tub tonight that a lot will come off then.
So, now I have the walking boot for 6 weeks. I wanted to take my scooter back...but the dr said I need to keep it for awhile...I can start weight bearing now as "I can stand it". He said I would know. Sure enough...got home...got the crutches and about passed out...just from putting the foot on the ground and applying light pressure.
Oh well.....at least the cast is off...but it's weird...my foot doesn't want socks or anything touching it...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Finally - Cast off - almost 8 weeks!

Is your foot red or hot to the touch? When I was able to weight bear after 8 weeks, I was told to start using the crutches and just lightly touching my foot to the floor for short periods of time. When I was just sitting with my foot elevated, I took the aircast off just to give my foot a rest. Hopefully once you bathe and your foot gets used to not having a cast on it, things will get steadily better

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
adbow
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

Hi Roxygirl1!
No, my foot is not red.. The heal area feels a little warm...but not hot by any means. The open hole at my heel looks like a bullet hole.. not sure how else to describe it. When I put my foot down and apply pressure that hurts. The rest of my foot feels weird on the floor...kind of like it doesn't know how to act or what to do.
My doc told me I could start weight bearing..using the walking boot and when I'l sitting with my foot elevated I too can take it off...I love having it off!!
So, did you do any exercises? Or stretches? How much time a day did you use the air cast and crutches? I'm working part time from home - just started this week. That way I can do it from my couch with my foot up. It still feels better up and than down.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am 11 months post op. When I was first able to put weight on the foot, the doctor had me slowly increase the amount of weight over a period of three weeks with the air cast on anytime my foot was on the ground. I used crutches on and off for about 5 weeks. I was seeing a pt who was doing a lot of range of motion exercises. He also did graston to break up scar tissue on the outside of the foot (side opposite of the ptt). It really helped a lot. When I was able to finally wear a shoe, I was given an aso brace to wear with the shoe. For the first week or two, I felt as if I was walking on the outside of the foot. That did improve a lot. My foot was kind of numb for awhile. I still have reduced sensation in my toes and top of my foot. Even if that never goes away, I will be able to live with it. Even though your cast is off, you are still early in your recovery. Your foot is now completely reconstructed and will have to get used to how things feel. What did the doctor say about the hole in the back of your heel? Just keep a close eye on it to be sure it doesn't become infected.

At 11 months post op, I am pretty much pain free with the exception of an occasional twinge. I find that I still have to do a bit of stretching/rom activities. I am able to do normal day to day activities without any pain. For the most part, I forget that I had surgery. The main time I notice my foot is when I walk on an uneven surface. I could definitely say that I am very happy that I had the surgery

Old 06-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
velvetrain
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

My foot was super sensitive too. I found I had to gradually get it used to different surfaces like carpet, water, towels, bath mat etc. It will gradually decrease over time. Oh what fun that was. I was worn out the day I was told to start walking. I could barely stand and non operated leg would tire so quickly. I was in bed by noon. Just goes to show how involved this surgerey is and the toll it takes on your body. Just take it slow and listen to the foot when it tells you to back off.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
adbow
(female)

Thank you so much Roxygirl1! Just hearing that it does get better makes it so much more tolerable! And gives me hope!
The doc looked at the open spot on my heel..not sure if it's a hole...just a round spot...actually looks puffed out at that spot. He said it's not infected but he would like it to dry out...so for me to keep it dry and with out anything on for as much as I can. My sock stuck to it yesterday and I didn't think I was going to be able to pull it off...that sure stung!
So, my doc said I could start with partial weight bearing with the boot and crutches and work up to no crutches. But anytime the foot is not elevated or in bed I should have the boot on.
Some of my toes are numb...but that is okay. Oh good...I thought that was weird - that I feel like I'm walking on the outside of my foot.
So, I finished working for today and put the boot on and tried it out with the crutches...walking up and down my driveway a couple of times and around in te house. I bet I only was walking for under 1/2 hour...but now I'm back on the couch with my foot up and iced...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Adbow, it sounds like you are right where you should be. Things will get better. Once I was able to walk in the boot without crutches for an hour or so, I felt as if I had a new lease on life. My surgery was on my left foot, so I was albe to drive once I was able to walk in the boot. I remember making the mistake of doing a very short supermarket trip wearing the boot without crutches about three weeks after being given clearance to fwb with the boot. I was in agony for two days. Don't rush things. Give your body the chance to slowly recover

Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
adbow
(female)

Thanks Velvetrain! That was so weird...I had been so excited about soaking in the tub - I crawled into the tub...but I wasn't so sure about the water on my foot. It did not feel like I was expecting it too. And socks? Oh my gosh...no way...very uncomfortable...even my old stretched out ones...so I'm going to have find like some extra large/wide socks?? hahhah.. I make my foot have one to go in the boot anyways.. Oh, which is weird. The boot felt good? And I felt okay standing with it and using the crutches today. My foot still hurt/was sore...but not like barefoot. Maybe my foot just got used to being so protected. hahah
So, I jsut started back to work this week - part time from home.. So, I'm on the couch with my foot up. I had thought yesterday that I might ask next week if I could work full time from home...but after getting the cast off...I'm exhausted today.. 8-) I had to take pain meds...and think I need a nap.. but...I'm one step closer...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
adbow
(female)

Thanks Roxygirl1! Oh no - you went grocery shopping without crutches? I'm thinking I might be chicken and drag them with me.ahhaha. My surgery was on my left foot also. I snuck out to my car last week...and drove around the block. I have a ford explorer and I'm almost 5'3"...so it is hard for me to get into it...and I couldn't get my wheelabout in...but it was nice to just go for a short drive. As much as I've loved my wheelie, I'm glad to not have to use it all the time now. I have a calus on my left knee and bumps now. 8-)

Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
velvetrain
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Adbow wait til you really get going and then folks constantly in your ear like why are you still on crutches? Your still walking like that? The avg person doesn't understand the seriouseness and complexity of this surgerey. It's good everyone here gets it and understands just how this goes. Nice place to be in the company of others that are so understanding and helpful. Be careful and stay safe!

Last edited by velvetrain; 06-23-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
adbow
(female)

Thanks Velvetrain! Yeah, I think most other people dont get it. When I was out frun...my neighbor said so...how long are you gonna wear that boot? hahah..6 weeks...it could be a long time... I think some people are just nosey also. Really? Is it their business? If they were caring and concerned they might ask how long it would be or if they could help or how you are doing?
Take care...
Angela

Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Zoeys Grammy
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

Fantastic, Adbow! i can't wait 'till i can get into the tub i'm just 17 days post op from tibial tendon transfer and subtalar fusion continued success!

Zoey's Grammy

Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
adbow
(female)

Thanks Zoey's Grammy!
Tomorrow will be 8 weeks for me!!! It does go by...8-) (I've gotten a lot of crocheting done... )
Yes, the bath felt so nice...to soak! 8-) My doctor said I could have one good soak and then he wants my heel to heal up... So, I'm assuming showers...which I"ll still have to use the shower chair...I don't have a bandaid on the heel...but I imagine water from the shower is difference then soaking in the tub.
So, I was told I could do what I can stand...but to not over do So, I worked laying on the couch with my foot up this morning...and then I put the boot on and walked around a bit...then I've been just up and down...laying on the couch...into the kitchen to get coffee..etc. I think I'm going to put the boot back on and try some more walking. He said I could practice having my foot down more also. I guess I need to email the nurse and ask more for a time limit kind of thing...like 2 hours a day walking? 6 sitting up with the foot down? etc? hahhah

It's nice when I start seeing progress...the other day I noticed that I'm not quite as tired as I was a week ago!!

Take care and rest!!
Angela

Closed Thread