It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Pain on both sides of Achilles tendon post pttd surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
gramattheshore
(female)

gramattheshore HB User
Pain on both sides of Achilles tendon post pttd surgery

At 14 weeks post pttd for ruptured tendon, I'm stopping PT for today until I can see my doc. The ankle is doing well with all PT EXCEPT when walking. It feels like I'm stepping on a stone under my heel and there is pain with each step on both sides of the Achilles tendon. My doc brushed this off at the last visit saying there were no bone spurs and also said "well you haven't walked on your foot for months and had major surgery in the foot". It hurts when the PT has his hand on the top of my foot when stretching. I was once told that some of those little bones on the top of the foot had signs of old stress fractures that were probably due to such tight "corrective" shoes worn as a child. (Back in the 1950s, it was thought that tight, supportive shoes would help falling arches.)

Also, can all that pulling and stretching the PT is doing, no matter how gently, can that loosen the hardware holding the repaired tendon in place? Still so much swelling on both sides on my ankle....more on the non-surgical side actually; this could be from an old, old bad ankle sprain; it swelled at the end of the day even before surgery but now is swollen all the time except during the night. Am I just rushing things and expecting too much? Getting very discouraged...sorry.... just having a bad foot week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
cduke
(male)

cduke HB Usercduke HB User
Re: Pain on both sides of Achilles tendon post pttd surgery

I had my surgery about the same time as you. I actually didn't have any tendon work done other than the gastroc recession, but I did have the calcaneal osteotomy and lateral column lengthening. I have also started having more pain around the insertion point for the achilles. I think some of it is because I have been trying to get everything stretched out lately. I had been trying to take bigger steps but I don't think my achilles was ready for that. The insertion point between the achilles and my heel bone has been a tender spot ever since I have been out of my cast. I think the swelling around my ankle also plays a part in the achilles pain.

I received a new pair of shoes yesterday and that seems to really help my overall foot. I should have replaced them before now because my old shoes had a lot of wear on them. I have not been doing PT, because my doc says normal activity and walking is all that needs to be done.

Last edited by cduke; 06-28-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
gramattheshore
(female)

gramattheshore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduke View Post
I had my surgery about the same time as you. I actually didn't have any tendon work done other than the gastroc recession, but I did have the calcaneal osteotomy and lateral column lengthening. I have also started having more pain around the insertion point for the achilles. I think some of it is because I have been trying to get everything stretched out lately. I had been trying to take bigger steps but I don't think my achilles was ready for that. The insertion point between the achilles and my heel bone has been a tender spot ever since I have been out of my cast. I think the swelling around my ankle also plays a part in the achilles pain.

I received a new pair of shoes yesterday and that seems to really help my overall foot. I should have replaced them before now because my old shoes had a lot of wear on them. I have not been doing PT, because my doc says normal activity and walking is all that needs to be done.
Thanks, Cduke. I was wondering if a different pair of shoes, maybe thicker-soled ones, would be a help. I have a call in to my doc about the PT; she won't we in until Wednesday. I, too, think the stretching and swelling are contributing factors. We'll see what the doc says about all this. Good luck to you, too.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
velvetrain
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

I still have pain in and near my achilles tendon as well. Its everyday. Some days are worse than others. Honestly this is taking longer than it would have imagined to heal. Its like it just doesn't want to stretch out. I don't know what else to add to this as I am in the same boat as you are. I have fears that I won't ever fully recover from this.

The following user gives a hug of support to velvetrain:
adbow (06-29-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
gramattheshore (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I found that I experienced pain (sharp pulling sensation) by the achillese tendon for about 7 months post op. The pain did start out pretty constant but over time became sporadic. I have not experienced the achillese tendon pain for about 3 or four months

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
adbow (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Missyluke
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I am 10 months post op and believe it or not I still have a tight achielles tendon. I don't have pain there, just tightening. I have to stretch it out several times a day. Heat helps, but it is still there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
adbow (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
gramattheshore
(female)

gramattheshore HB User
Thumbs up Re: Pain on both sides of Achilles tendon post pttd surgery

Roxygirl1 and Missyluke; thanks, glad there is still room for improvement. Hope Velvetrain and I get to this point sooner rather than later.

The following user gives a hug of support to gramattheshore:
adbow (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
cduke
(male)

cduke HB Usercduke HB User

Roxy, do you still have a tight achilles tendon as well?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Somewhat tight but no longer painful. For the most part, I am pain free

Old 07-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
sfoot58
(female)

sfoot58 HB Usersfoot58 HB User

Hi, I am 15 weeks post surgery with about the same surgery as you,I am getting worried that I am going to have alimp forever due to the pain I still feel, mostly both sides of my ankle and achilles, walking is painful and especially if I have to step backwards, it feels like I am tearing something. I have swelling all time all around the ankle. My doctor said I will have swelling for a while but even as if I reduce my activity it remains swollen. very discouraging. He told me when I go back in a couple of weeks if I still feel pain, he might give me an injection. I wonder what that will do, I had the surgery to relieve the pain and I am still experiencing alot only in a different area now. Like you, I am just venting and wondering if I am expecting too much.

Closed Thread