It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• What is week 9/week 10 post-op like with heel fracture?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
    Alotofmath
    (male)

Alotofmath HB User
    What is week 9/week 10 post-op like with heel fracture?

Hi,
    My family lives in Ohio; I am in Philadelphia.

I was wondering if it would be possible to travel to Ohio during week 9 week 10 post-surgery to visit and get back on my feet.

Or, would I be in the middle of physical therapy and such, and not be able to travel. I could always ask them to come to me...but in Ohio there is a farm, it's calm, away from the city.

This has been the hardest part--I would normally visit my family, but that has proved difficult. Flying with crutches must be impossible.

Thanks so much..

Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
    newcalcgal
    (female)

newcalcgal HB Usernewcalcgal HB User
    Re: What is week 9/week 10 post-op like with heel fracture?

Hi Michael

If you want to visit your family, you should. There are ways that you can adapt to difficult travel situations. While it varies person to person, most are advised to be non-weight bearing for 12 weeks. That was my situation. I did not begin formal PT until I was cleared for weight bearing...so a PT schedule shouldn't prevent you from flying. Give your doc a call and see what he thinks.

For flying with crutches, you could always make prior arrangements with the airline for wheel chair assistance to the gate. During my recovery from surgery (shattered heel October, surgery November), I found my biggest challenge was asking for and utilizing help. But, once I sucked it up and swallowed my pride, my recovery became much easier to handle. I am now 8 months post-op and back to my old life, with a few adjustments.

It sounds like a relaxing visit with your family may be well worth the travel aggravation! Make a few phone calls to your surgeon and the airlines, get some assistance and enjoy your family!

Best of luck to you on your continued recovery!

Jen

Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
    adbow
    (female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
    Re: What is week 9/week 10 post-op like with heel fracture?

Hi Michael,

I'm at 9.5 weeks after surgery right now. My cast came off at week 8. (weeks 8-9 were not pleasant for me - I overdid it) So, right now I'm in a cast and on crutches and my wheel about. I'm not in PT until later. I think you should go be with family - what a perfect way to get back on your feet and recooperater! But I agree with Jen - ask your doctor.

Take care and happy recovery!

Angela

Closed Thread