It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Casted today for PTTD, stage 1, hurts worse?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
    Karatemom40
    (female)

Karatemom40 HB UserKaratemom40 HB User
    Casted today for PTTD, stage 1, hurts worse?

*Before I start, I will say I'm currently awaiting a second opinion from an foot/ankle OS. But, I'm on a wait list here in ATL and my appointment isn't until the middle of August*

My current OS casted my foot today after putting me off for 2 weeks. (I complained 2 weeks ago that it was bothering me alot but he basically thought I'd get over it on my own and told me to put my CAM walker on.. which I admit I didn't use religiously). I have tendonitis and peritendonitis and tendonis in my PTT and my Achilles. It's been ok for a year but started acting up again about 6 weeks ago after a heavy weekend of swimming (of all things).
    I'm in a hard cast with cast shoe and he said I could weight bear the whole time. Since he put the cast on, it hurts worse than before! I'm wondering if it's because the ankle is being held in position the way it should be and isn't 'rolling inward' the little it usually does or if it is because I'm still bearing weight on it? I assumed to REST the PTT, at stage 1 PTTD, the idea is to take stress OFF it? But, I'm no doc. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a waste of time if I am still walking with it on? I've been having trouble for 6 weeks during weight bearing. I've spent a great deal of time sitting around, icing to no avail. Just really need some opinions here with experience of initial stages of PTTD.

HELP!

The Following User Says Thank You to Karatemom40 For This Useful Post:
    jasmine915 (04-28-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
    Re: Casted today for PTTD, stage 1, hurts worse?

In my case, pttd progressed to stage 2b and required extensive surgery. Immobilizing the foot seems to be a very standard conservative treatment especially when you are at stage 1. The hope is that things will settle down when the tendon is given adequate rest. If it bothers you to walk on the cast, can you use crutches and partial weightbearing? If that does not help, then you should call the doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
    Karatemom40 (07-27-2011)
    Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
    Karatemom40
    (female)

Karatemom40 HB UserKaratemom40 HB User

Thank you. Yes, I think I need to atleast go partial non-weightbearing to really give it a chance to rest. It really bugs me to walk on. Not pain, but a very annoying ache that gets worse with how long I stay on my foot. As much as I hate to drag the crutches out again, I think it might be necessary preventative measure! Thank you!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
    marlin33
    (male)

marlin33 HB Usermarlin33 HB User

I would use crutches as much as possible, worked for me, but rest is always better then pain!

Closed Thread