It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Cortisone shots. Anyone had them?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
    OzarkSquirrel
    (female)

OzarkSquirrel HB User
    Cortisone shots. Anyone had them?

Long story short: I have a decades worth of ankle instability, also ankle impingement and a subluxing EDL. Can cortisone shots really help any of this? What's your experience with them? Did they help you? It's my understanding that they are temporary relief at best. Is that correct? If they helped you, how long did they last?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
    lightstepper
    (female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
    Re: Cortisone shots. Anyone had them?

Gosh, I don't know about shots in the ankle, but I did have plantar fasciitis pretty bad. I had it for 15 years off and on and could usually keep it at bay, but it got so bad once that it was like walking on shards of glass. It just wouldn't heal. The Dr. did a procedure on it called "wet needling" which consisted of jabbing the tendon 35 times while injecting the cortisone. The idea is to "injur" the area to increase blood flow. It took care of it instantly and completely and I haven't had a problem since. I have also had 2 shots in the shoulder. One worked VERY well, the other one not so much. They are painful to get, but they do have healing qualities to them as well as pain relieving. Your body makes cortisone, so I hear reactions are minimal. Many Dr.'s will give a cortisone shot as a diagnostic tool. They are a bit painful to get and creep you out a bit (I always make sure I'm lying down so I don't pass out) but if they help you, it is worth it. Be careful the Dr. knows what he/she is doing. I have heard injecting some parts of the foot can encourage tendon rupture. Do your research and good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to lightstepper For This Useful Post:
    OzarkSquirrel (08-02-2011)
    Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

For impingement, yes.

I had chronic ankle pain. I went to a surgeon, and he said:

"I think you have anterolateral impingement syndrome. I'm going to put a cortisone shot right into the area where the impingement is. If it cures your pain permanently, great. If it doesn't help, I have to do more tests. If it helps for a while but the pain comes back, then arthroscopic surgery should help permanently."

He did the shot, it helped for about 2 weeks, so I scheduled surgery to clean out the impingement. Surgery worked beautifully.

Now, if you have mechanical joint instability, lax ligaments, a cortisone shot will do nothing and might possibly make it worse. (A stress x-ray is the best way to tell whether your ligaments are lax, and some people whose ankles feel unstable have normal ligaments.)

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
    marlin33
    (male)

marlin33 HB Usermarlin33 HB User

I had a cortisone shot in my tibal tendon and it ruptured, holy hell that hurt!

The following user gives a hug of support to marlin33:
    lightstepper (08-02-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to marlin33 For This Useful Post:
    Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
    OzarkSquirrel
    (female)

OzarkSquirrel HB User

Thanks everyone. I am getting some conflicting advice from doctors and it is confusing. And yes Jane, I do have mechanical joint instability. One doctor originally wanted to do surgery & now he seems reluctant but won't give me a reason as to why. Like I said, all very confusing, but I really appreciate everyone's input!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
    wilkinak
    Inactive
    (female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

I've had 2 of them in my ankle this year. I've had ankle impingement for 6-7 months after a sprain earlier this year and chronic instability. I've also got a bone chip floating around in there. The first shot helped some, maybe for a month or so. I briefly considered myself healed. Not so much. I had another 2-3 months later and it didn't help much at all. I've since changed docs, and OS has suggested it; I'm not doing it a 3rd time. Instead I get to do PT for 6 more weeks before we discuss surgery. Who knows maybe the PT will magically start working after 5 weeks.

The needle into the ankle itself isn't too bad, but the one over the top of the foot hurts like hell. My spine doc is a needle jockey, so I've had lots of experience as a pin cushion. That pales compared to the ankle.

Closed Thread