It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 4 months post op flat foot rec...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
    Twix
    (female)

Twix HB UserTwix HB UserTwix HB User
    Question 4 months post op flat foot rec...

Hey guys, it's been about 4 months since my surgery (lengthened the calf muscle, removed accessory navicular, tightened posterior tibial tendon, subtalar arthroereisis, and cotton osteotomy).
    Right now I am wearing a brace for part of the day, and wearing just tennis shoes for the rest so I can eventually be comfortable walking without the brace period. In physical therapy they are trying to teach me to walk correctly but I'm having a lot of trouble learning to push off on the ball of my recovering foot. I think a lot of it is because of how weak my calf still is so pushing my body weight off when taking a step is pretty much impossible. Also, when I try to push off, the top of my foot hurts very badly, partly because of how stiff my foot is I think. For somebody who's been through this recovery, I was just wondering how long it took to build back up enough muscle to push off normally when walking. Also, was your foot stiff for a very long time as well? It gets better right? I'm just feeling down & wondering if the surgery was worth it because it feels like the pain and stiffness in my foot/ankle will never go away. I'm hoping a few months from now things will be much better, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
    Missyluke
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
    Re: 4 months post op flat foot rec...

You are still recovering from surgery. It does take time for the muscles to build back up. Four months is still early in recovery. Remember, it takes up to a year for your foot to fully recover. My foot, especially my Achielles Tendon was really stiff and tight. I returned to work at four months and would get up extra early to apply heat and stretch the muscles before going to work. It took a while before I walked correctly and without a limp. It really takes a long time for things to feel right. I know before surgery when I walked I compensated and did not walk right. After surgery I had to think about the right way to walk, it did not come naturally. Give yourself time, remember your foot went through major surgery and it really will get better.

Closed Thread