It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• sharp pain with nwb to pwb after fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
    jlynn66
    (female)

jlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB User
    sharp pain with nwb to pwb after fusion

I am nearly 12 weeks post op after subtalar fusion and tendon transfer/lengthening. Was 9 weeks in cast and 2 more weeks nwb in boot before beginning the transition to weight bearing. I have actually been really happy/surprised that I had not yet experienced much pain with this but acknowledge that I wasn't risking much weight out of fear. Now as I am trying to increase the weight, I feel a sharp pain. It is on the outside edge of my foot, shooting up from the floor and is located about half-way between the heel and the toes. The pain is always in the same spot and immediately goes away as I take the weight off. Anyone experience a sensation like this?? I go to PT tomorrow and will ask my therapist, but would love to hear from this forum in the mean time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
    jlynn66
    (female)

jlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB User
    Re: sharp pain with nwb to pwb after fusion

Well, no one has responded with a similar experience, but I wanted to update for future readers. I went to PT today and talked with my therapist. He reminded me that it takes a long time to heal, to listen to my body and that as I stretch and strengthen all the things that i haven't been using for so long, things will continue to improve. He spent a lot of time stretching out my foot and focused some time on the site where the sharp pain would occur. The best thing was that when I left the appointment, the sharp pain wasn't happening; not even when I tried walking with only one crutch!! Looks like it may just have been a pressure point that needed stretched out. I'm sure I'll have more pangs along the way (maybe even that same one) but it's good remember not to worry about every pain (it's just a part of the process) and that it will get better!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
    kimber687
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB User

Hi

I had a subtalar fusion, Achilles lengthening along with an external fixator and nerve release surgery in April and just began pwb last week after 25 weeks nwb and I can tell you, though not an apples to apples comparison, I am feeling the same things.

My therapist says my plantar fascia is tight and it should be after no use for 25 weeks and I shouldn't panic about every pain I may feel because my foot wasn't used for 25 weeks. I told him I am going to get him a shirt that says '25 weeks' on it because every question I ask has the same answer.

I have gone from basically nwb to 75% (and almost 100%) in about a week and am feeling some pretty strange things but unless they continue, I am trying not to worry. Right now I feel much better walking in a boot than barefoot ... I haven't tried a sneaker yet, foot is way too swollen.

Give it time. Our feet have been through quite a bit and now they are figuring out what we did to them

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
    Zoeys Grammy
    (female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlynn66 View Post
    I am nearly 12 weeks post op after subtalar fusion and tendon transfer/lengthening. Was 9 weeks in cast and 2 more weeks nwb in boot before beginning the transition to weight bearing. I have actually been really happy/surprised that I had not yet experienced much pain with this but acknowledge that I wasn't risking much weight out of fear. Now as I am trying to increase the weight, I feel a sharp pain. It is on the outside edge of my foot, shooting up from the floor and is located about half-way between the heel and the toes. The pain is always in the same spot and immediately goes away as I take the weight off. Anyone experience a sensation like this?? I go to PT tomorrow and will ask my therapist, but would love to hear from this forum in the mean time.
    Hi,
    I had a tibial tendon transfer & subtalar fusion on June 6; therefore, I am 16 weeks out of surgery. I had horrid pain at the bottom of my heel when I walked for awhile. My surgeon & therapist both said it was plantar facitis due to non weightbearing for so long.

My therapist has been stretching my achiles; along with me doing exercies. Good luck to you. It sure is a long recovery. I'm still using a cane...can't walk very far without pain, as yet.

Zoeys Grammy

Closed Thread