It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Sesamoid Fractures

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
admiral311
(female)

admiral311 HB User
Question Sesamoid Fractures

Hey everyone... I'm a long distance runner and I also play roller derby. I was diagnosed with bilateral sesamoid fractures in my right foot and a bruised first metatarsal bone on 11/3. I had had off and on pain in the sesamoid area since mid-September, and went to my primary doc on 10/10. She said it was just "aggravated" because I wasn't in pain all the time (it only hurt occasionally while skating if we were doing certain drills). I thought it was related to wearing skates that were too large, so I bought smaller ones and noticed a partial reduction in pain, but not completely. Some days I had zero pain while skating, especially when I used my "dancer's pad". I decided it was time to visit a podiatrist, and saw her on 10/26. She recommended an MRI, which I had on 10/31. It showed two fractures, plain as day. The tibular sesamoid has a chip fracture, while the fibular sesamoid is merely cracked. I was given an ultrasound bone healing device which I have used every day. I return for a follow-up appointment on Thursday (11/17) to see if I can get a more accurate prognosis. I am anxious to get back to skating again since I was >thisclose< to making it to the next level and being able to compete next season. Thankfully, it doesn't start until March so I have some time, but I'm hoping for the best. I have upped my calcium intake (in the form of food) and reduced my intake of "bone robbing" foods such as soda, chocolate, and alcohol. Can any of you out there share your experiences, particularly if you were active before the injury and how long it took you to get back into sports?

Thanks so much

P.S. I have zero pain from normal activities. I've had a few "twinges" but nothing like the pain I experienced when I had Morton's neuromas back in 2002/2008 (other foot) or plantar fasciitis (other foot). That's the most frustrating part, because I don't FEEL injured.

Last edited by admiral311; 11-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread