It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Calcaneus fracture 5months postop pain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
califmom1
(female)

califmom1 HB Usercalifmom1 HB Usercalifmom1 HB User
Calcaneus fracture 5months postop pain

It's been 5 months now since my surgery for my calc fracture. I had 3 screws put in, just had 1 removed last week since it was bothering me.

Every step hurts, has hurt since I started walking. I have done 3 weeks of PT and my ROM is not great but have made some progress. The pain is better when I wear my laceup boots but still--WHEN does it stop? I am SO tired of being in pain. I can walk about 1/4 mile before muscle exhaustion kicks in but every step is painful. The therapist says my gait is not bad and I consciously think about putting my weight evenly on every step. I don't want to live on pain meds. Any answers?

The following user gives a hug of support to califmom1:
jenay78 (01-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Zerk
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Calcaneus fracture 5months postop pain

Hate to tell you, but at 5 months since the surgery you still have a long way to go. For me it seemed to get better around the 10 month mark, but there was still pain.

It takes 12-18 months to get as good, as you will probably get. You may have chronic pain on some days, you may not.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
carpenter33
(male)

carpenter33 HB User

i have 16 screws and a plate after the 1 year mark the pain gets better or u learn to tolerate it better the stiffness is always there

Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Zerk
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter33 View Post
pain gets better or u learn to tolerate it better e
I have wondered this. Does it get better or does our body just quit sending it as much, or we get used to it.

Pain is hard to advise on, since people very so much. On one hand you hate to say suck it up, when it is something. But the fact is, with this injury there is pain.

I am no expert, but in my case, my body when to sit down and shut up. But you got to suck it up, a bit.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
jenay78
(female)

jenay78 HB User

I'm nearly 5 months post op, and making progress in physical therapy. I'm now doing one legged steps on an 8" block with my bad foot, while raising the other knee. It amazes me that I walked into PT unable to walk.

But yes, still having significant pain. I bought some gel inserts for my shoes and an elastic pad that wraps around the heel for some additional cushioning. Having significant trouble walking around at home with bare feet.

I hope the pain reduces at some point. I haven't taken paid meds in months, but my doctor wouldn't give me anymore. I'm a tough cookie, I guess. Nothing compares to the excruciating pain I've already been through.

Some days I am very optimistic and have tears of joy when I make significant progress at PT. I'm thankful to be walking again. Some days, I still break down with tears of sadness.

Sucking it up - yep, I don't think I have another option.

Closed Thread