It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome? s1 Radiculopathy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
    Spangle32
    (female)

Spangle32 HB User
    Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome? s1 Radiculopathy?

I have been diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome on left side and s1 Radiculopathy. This has been going on for 6 months, beginning with orthopedists and podiatrists, now back to back doctors. My problem they say is unique.

I cannot walk comfortably without tennis shoes with orthodics. After too much walking, especially standing, I will "flare up" and my feet feel heavy and painful (almost like someone who has walked in heels for days only worse) During these times I cannot walk barefoot at all. I have not worn "regular" shoes in 6 months. I have S1 Radiculopathy in my back they found, and they said that this comes with it. However, I have pain in both feet and much so in the insides of my feet, which they signify is l5 back problems. If you were to push in on the insides of my feet right below my ankles, it is incredibly painful. I have no pain in bottom of my foot and all MRI"s show that I am structurally okay.

I have just started receiving injections from a spine and pain (the best in the east coast). This doctor even says it is rare to have back issues that cause feet issues without having LEG issues. I don't have that. Although after this injection he just gave me, my legs are now burning.

I know this is nerve related. Now that my back is feeling better, I just want to know what my foot issue truly is or if anyone has went through this. I am so tired of being limited. I just want to go out and walk and not be scared the pain will start!

If anyone has had issues similar in BOTH FEET without leg problems with it, please let me know. I am just to my wits end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
    sawa108
    (female)

sawa108 HB Usersawa108 HB User
    Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome? s1 Radiculopathy?

I have a similar problem with my right foot. I fell three years ago and my foot went numb during the fall. After that I started getting numbing, burning, squeezing feelings in my big toe. I started seeing a foot dr monthy for an entire year, received one injection, new custom made orthotics and then he referred me to a back dr. I was given medications for spinal stenosis which can pinch the L5 in your back and sometimes cause foot pain. These appts went on for months. Next I saw a second back surgeon who said my condition wasn't bad enough for surgery who then referred me to a pain management dr. This dr. gave me a series of three injections in my spine and it helped my occasional sciatica pain and now that I think of it my foot spasms were still there but not as painful. Meanwhile the pain is now in the top of my foot and near the third and forth toe. Then I saw another foot surgeon who sent me for physical therapy for 8 weeks on my right foot. That was fun, a nice bunch of guys but my foot spasmed with every exercise. This week I have an appt with the foot dr again for a cortizone shot in my foot. But I have read cortizone shots don't help. But the more I read on the internet the more I think it is coming from the L-5 in my back. On You-tube there is a video of someone's foot with marker written on the foot where the pain will be for L5 and it is exactly where my pain is. It has been three years and I am at my wits end too. Also I am having neurological problems with migraines, dizziness, burning nerve pain, vertigo, shaking inside my head, not sleeping and all overpain so I have been diagnosed with fibromylagia. Well I guess I do have fibro, if you walked around three years with major compression of a nerve it is bound to cause other problems. I applied for disability and was denied and I can barely walk after sitting. Sitting seems to compress the nerve and then I can't walk. If I just stay on my feet all day without sitting I actually have less spasms in my foot but once I sit down the compression starts and I can barely walk. I rub my foot constantly to improve blood flow, use ice on my foot and my butt near the L5 area, and do every exercise the PT gave me and lots of exercises I have found on the internet for spinal stenosis and piriformis syndrome and sciatica. NOTHING WORKS. So I guess I will get that foot injection to see if there is any improvement and if not then off to a new dr - I looking for a neurosurgeon for a full evaluation. I am at the point I hate going to the drs because they are supposed to be experts and nobody can tell me for sure if it is coming from a compressed/pinched nerve in my back or in my foot. Perhaps its Both.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
    Spangle32
    (female)

Spangle32 HB User
    Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome? s1 Radiculopathy?

Hi There,

Thank you for your email. It sounds like you are as frustrated as I am (if not more!) It is just awful.

Although the think I have tarsal tunnel, I don't quite exactly fit the bill. I will tell you that I did receive coritsone in the feet, and it did not help. They were directed at my tarsal tunnel area. However, it sounds like your problem is completely different from mine based on what you are describing, so in my opinion, it doesn't hurt to try. It didn't hurt me in any way, so I say you should at least try after all you've been through. My pain is confined to the tarsal tunnel Inside of my foot and after walking or standing too long my heel gets pressured and burns as if I had walked in high heels for days. I just wish I could figure this out.

Best of luck to you sweetie and I pray that the cortisone works for you. Thanks so much again for emailing. Take care.

Closed Thread