It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Swollen feet and ankles, low-grade fever

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
    RiderJen
    (female)

RiderJen HB User
    Swollen feet and ankles, low-grade fever

My husband (age 73) is very healthy, active, and takes no meds. He exercises regularly, riding his bicycle many miles (for example, he did a 60-mile ride last week) and recovers well.

Last week he felt like he was starting to come down with a cold. His lower legs ached (normal for him whenever he comes down with a cold/flu), he had chills and an intermittent low-grade fever. He had no other cold symptoms. The chills and fever lasted a few days, and ended earlier this week. The aches in his feet and legs continued but improved each day.

This morning he awoke saying the bottom of his feet hurt when he got up to go to the bathroom, like he was "walking on knives". The pain is better after being up a while and walking around.

Then, this afternoon he noticed that one ankle and foot is swollen. There is no pitting edema, it's not red or hot, and he otherwise feels fine. There's also no tenderness in the calf area, and no swelling in the lower leg (just ankles and feet).

He has flat feet and lower-leg aches have come and gone most of his life. For that reason, we weren't concerned about the achiness until we saw the swelling today.

Any idea what this might be in an otherwise healthy man?

Last edited by RiderJen; 05-10-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
    Fenn11
    (female)

Fenn11 HB UserFenn11 HB User
    Re: Swollen feet and ankles, low-grade fever

Since nobody else has posted, all I can recommend is getting to the doctor. Swollen feet can be an indicator of so many things that it's better to get checked and be safe rather than sorry. Sorry not to be of any help! Good luck!

Closed Thread