It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Pain after first physical therapy session

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Mr Blotto
(male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User
Pain after first physical therapy session

Hi all,

So I went in for my first real PT session this morning after having a modified McBride bunionectiomy (fusion) and shortening of my second toe 6 weeks ago. The massaging was manageable, but when he therapist started manipulating my big toe, I was almost brought to tears! When the session was over, they gave me an ice pack, and I felt pretty good. A little sore, but good.

But this evening, my foot/toe is REALLY sore and tinglely. I assume that this is normal, especially for my first session? I threw out all my prescription pain meds, but now I am wishing I didn't!!! Wait.....did I just say that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
xerx790
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User
Re: Pain after first physical therapy session

I can so relate to big toe pain. I was at PT today and she gave me an exercise to do to get the big toe moving. Ouch! Your right it hurts but not as bad as manipulation. I had a Mcbride bunionectomy as well as 4 other procedures on my foot. She did not manipulate my big toe area. A previous PT person had done that a few weeks ago and I literally cried with agony. I did not go back to the torturer. I changed therapy places. I was told to try and scrunch my toes down and inward and hold for 5 seconds. It is not that painful and it is actually helping to loosen it up. It is the bone below the big toe that is sore and very stiff. I understand. You should have kept the pain pills and Medicated prior to your PT appointments..
jmarch67

Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
loki2012
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blotto View Post
Hi all,

So I went in for my first real PT session this morning after having a modified McBride bunionectiomy (fusion) and shortening of my second toe 6 weeks ago. The massaging was manageable, but when he therapist started manipulating my big toe, I was almost brought to tears! When the session was over, they gave me an ice pack, and I felt pretty good. A little sore, but good.

But this evening, my foot/toe is REALLY sore and tinglely. I assume that this is normal, especially for my first session? I threw out all my prescription pain meds, but now I am wishing I didn't!!! Wait.....did I just say that?
Its very normal to have pain after PT. You will experience pain after each session but with time it will gradually get better as you regain more mobility. I am not looking forward to my first PT session because since i started weight bearing my foots been killing me. Hang in there, it will get better.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
twohands
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Starting PT can be tough sometimes, especially when you have muscles and ligaments/tendons that haven't been getting worked recently. I started PT a few weeks ago after ankle surgery and the first few sessions were a bit rough, but they are getting better now.

Ice and elevation when you're in pain can go a long way. Hope your ankle improves quickly!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Bajada
(female)

Bajada HB User

Remember that well! But it does get better; be sure to tell your therapist what hurts; mine is really good at the line between pushing enough to effect change but not so far as to cause too much pain. He also makes sure that the exercises strengthen other areas as well to build up muscle tone lost from the surgery/boot etc. Every sessions ends with foot manipulation (ouch), then electrical stim and ice (ahhh....). Ice and elevation at home help

Reply Reply