It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Cam boot hurting my foot

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
xerx790
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User
Cam boot hurting my foot

I went out yesterday with my cam boot on and after 5 hours and trying on 16 dresses and then going out to eat, I was ready to scream. In the restaurant, my foot was so uncomfortable, I could not wait to get in the car so I could take my cam boot off. I rubbed my foot the whole way home. When I got home and took my surgical sock off, my foot and ankle were swelled the worse I have seen since my surgery in August. I iced and elevated it, but it was very uncomfortable through the night.

I did my PT exercises this morning and I also noticed how painful and stiff my achilles is today. I have never had that pain and stiffness in my Achilles ever and I have no idea why all of the sudden it is hurting me after all this time. I am keeping it elevated today and I was able to get a compression type sock on it today, to hopefully help the swelling and soreness. I swear I never want to put that cam boot on again. My foot and ankle are so sore from it, more than I have ever experienced. I am really wanting to get a wide type, soft tennis shoe and use that instead.( and I hesitant, because I cannot imagine getting a shoe on yet)

At this point into my PT (13 weeks post op) I am supposed to be walking with the cane and my cam boot on, she did not want me walking yet at home without the cam boot on. I am only to do my foot weight transfer and ankle exercises without the cam boot. I am frustrated and after all that, I did not find any dresses yet for my parties I have to go to in December. I do not want to wear the cam boot to the parties (due to the extreme discomfort), I think I would rather wear soft ballet slippers but all in all that might not be safe. I may need to buy long dresses to hide my foot and just wear a compression sock with my slippers. I just knew this would not be easy. I feel like I am having too many setbacks with this healing process. I was coming along and was confident and now I am ready to cry!
Jodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
AdkLizard46
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: Cam boot hurting my foot

Jodi, I'm so sorry to hear you are having trouble!!! BIG HUG!

I haven't tried walking long distances in my boot yet, but I can tell when my foot isn't in it quite right or if I have the straps tightened weird, my foot reallllllly doesn't like it. Maybe try a re-adjustment? For me its making sure my foot is jammed all the way to the back. Does yours have air you pump into it? Mine is sort of like an Air Jordan, and I was pumping it with WAY too much air for awhile., and that was causing me discomfort.

I haven't started PT yet, per my doc's orders, so I have little to help you with there. Why not take your knee scooter to the parties? Sure you might look a little silly, but it sure is a great conversation piece. (At least for me... though I am getting tired of talking about my accident)

Take it slow! I can't imagine being on my feet and trying on that many dresses with 2 good feet and have my feet feel okay at the end of the day. So with only one good one, no wonder you are sore! Enjoy resting and relaxing today.

Feel better! Another BIG HUG!

Liz

The Following User Says Thank You to AdkLizard46 For This Useful Post:
xerx790 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
AdkLizard46
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Oh, and I almost forgot. My doctor recommended I get gel inserts for my boot when I started walking. Dr Scholl's makes one specifically for the heel (with like a blue dot) and they are supposed to be awesome when starting weight bearing again. I had surgery on my heel so maybe that is not really applicable for you, but it could be worth a shot?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
LabGimp
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

I'm with you ladies on the CAM boot. It's just uncomfortable! I get "hot spots" all the time. If I inflate too much, it feels like too much pressure. If I deflate, then it rubs my incisions.

One thing I found that helped a tiny bit was a thicker sock. If I wear a thin sock, it really rubs, but a thicker sock helps. Like a hiking sock--thick, but not too tight.

I also found that if I overdo on one day, I really pay the next day. Trying on all those dresses! Yikes! You're a trooper. I wouldn't want to do that with two GOOD feet! Do you have something in your closet already that you could just snazz up with some new accessories? Or could you do some online ordering? Then just return what doesn't fit. Good luck, and hang in there!!

Katy

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
xerx790
Inactive
(female)

Hi girls,
Thanks for the support. My boot is just big, black and bulky and the bottom is curved and I just tighten it with straps and velcro, no air pumping. I do have a gel insert in the heel and I wear thick and soft socks with it. I did have my heel moved over and I do have a big screw in it, but the heel is not where the pain and discomfort are, (weird huh?) my pain is in the ankle and the top of my foot and my achilles is very tight. From the swelling, I imagine. When I touch my foot it just feels very sore and bruised all over. I just feel like putting my foot into a bucket of ice.
I guess I should not have pushed myself so much yesterday, I just did not imagine I would have this much swelling and discomfort. I spend hours at home cleaning and being in my boot and walking all around the house going up and down the stairs. I thought I could take it. Now I am stuck sitting around with my foot elevated again knowing I have two dresses I need to get within 2 weeks. I looked on line but I am afraid to purchase anything because after trying things on yesterday, some dresses look better on the hanger than on me. I do not have any winter dress clothes in my closet, just summer ones.
Jodi

Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Ditsy1
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

Hi Jodi,

The very thought of shopping for clothes with this injury is exhausting! No wonder your foot was so sore and swollen. I have no words of wisdom, but I want you to know that I went through the same thing with my Achilles tendon and the boot. I am 12 weeks post op flat foot reconstruction, and my Achilles tendon is still pretty tight and painful. I have been out of the boot for a little over a week now, wearing a small ankle brace, but I still have pain and swelling on the outside area between the back of my ankle bone and my heel. When I complained about the pain, my PT said that the position the boot requires your foot to maintain does affect the Achilles tendon and the heel area, but it will get better with time. I am doing several stretching exercises for it, and it does feel better because of them, but it does seem to be taking a long time. I still elevate and ice every night.

Hang in there. I agree with the concept of shopping online if you can! For the two events, maybe go for something simple like a long black dressy skirt and two different colorful dressy tops? Best to you.

Dits

Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
teil3156
(female)

teil3156 HB Userteil3156 HB User

I can relate to the CAM boot issue. My heel is a little tender at the bottom of my incision and the boot rubs on it. Also the top of my foot and ankle are sore and swollen and the boot feels like it is squeezing the heck out of it. One of the straps goes right across my incision so I make sure it's padded and not too tight.

I know my surgery wasn't as involved as some but my recovery is similar. I am weight bearing as tolerated and some days it isn't tolerated well.

The following user gives a hug of support to teil3156:
xerx790 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
xerx790
Inactive
(female)

Ditsy,
This is the first time my achilles has felt this tight since my surgery. It seemed like after shopping yesterday, it got that way. It seems so weird that it started bothering me now after being 13 weeks post op. Although, I am and have been doing calf stretching exercises in therapy and at home. Maybe that is why it decided to start irritating me??
Did you buy the small ankle brace, or did the surgeon recommend it? Where did you get it?
I want out of this BIG Cam boot and wish I could get a smaller ankle/foot brace. Maybe I should call the surgeon and see if they can recommend a smaller ankle/foot brace?? I think I will ask tomorrow at therapy and see if they can call the surgeon and see if I can go into something smaller. This big Cam boot is going to be the death of me. I am going to fall wearing it because it is too big and balky and I feel like I am going to trip because it is so much taller than my other foot and my hips are killing me.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
LadyKanner
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

This won't help your boot rubbing but for the falling over part, try to find a thick shoe to wear. I have a loafer type shoe that is thick soled I wear all the time with mine. My hips kill me from walking uneven. I HATE HATE HATE sleeping with the boot. I took it off for about two hours the other day but it didn't take the pain away. Think we should have a ritual boot burning when we're all done!
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
teil3156
(female)

teil3156 HB Userteil3156 HB User

From all of the posts on here, I think that would be a pretty big bonfire.

I have multiple boots from this and previous surgeries. Sometimes I just want to throw them out and just be done with it all but then I figured I will probably need it again someday... I so cannot wait to be walking unassisted. My arms are killing me. I think I am getting Popeye arms from the crutches... lol

The following user gives a hug of support to teil3156:
xerx790 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
LadyKanner
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I hear you there! I've been dealing with this since April and am soooo tired of it all. My hands hurt all the time from using crutches for so long. They're starting to chill out a bit since I am walking again. I often wear a compression sock or a tall softball sock under my boot. I prefer wearing short socks but my ankle is swelling too much and they end up cutting into me.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Hollywood48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yes the wonderful CAM boot can be problematic. After my first surgery 11yrs ago, I had to put a blue gel pad under my heel to be able to walk. My ankle didn't want to push down that far and my heel was sensitive (even though no surgery was done on my heel) and that blue gel pad under my heel was a life saver!! I got rid of that boot 5 years ago as it was old, yucky and I didn't think I'd need it again. Boy was I wrong. After this 2nd surgery in Feb, I had the option of coming out of my cast after 3 weeks and move into a boot. Since I would still have to be completely NWB for 6 wks either way, I chose to get another cast for the 2nd 3 wks instead of the boot. I'm not claustrophobic, I deal with casts well, had a fantastic shower cover and the cast was lighter and less bulky than the boot and I didn't want that bootin the bed at night! Doctor said I could take it off at night, but I couldn't imagine not having anything on my ankle protecting it while I slept at that point. My doctor was like I've never been asked for another cast before. Ideally this is what we like because it heals better! LOL! After the 6 wks was up, I moved into a boot and was allowed to weight bear as tolerated up to FWB. It was just a regular black boot (no air pump) but I didn't need a heel pad this time. This time my doctor told me to keep my boot because with my ankle you never know and since I just reinjured it 8 months after surgery, I guess I don't know! . It's in the attic! So no bonfire for me with you all!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
ginger62
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

1) I would like to burn my Arizona brace in the bonfire along with my CAM boot. Sleeping stinks once you don't have to elevate at night.
2) Jodi, I tossed and turned quite a bit over your dress dilemma (I get quite anxious about stuff like that, go figure). Anyway, I don't know how big your town is or what your financial situation is, but...is there some sort of personal shopper service there? Someone that could bring dresses to your home or at least have stuff ready for you at the store? Or a good girlfriend that knows your style?
3) why don't men have to deal with most of this crap?
Good luck, I'm thinking of you. I hate shopping.

Ginger

P.S. the commune can open any time!

Last edited by ginger62; 11-12-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
LadyKanner
Senior Veteran
(female)

I must have the same kind of black boot you had Hollywood....Mine doesn't have any kind of air pumps and stuff in it like everyone else talks about. Just a cloth foam like sleeve with straps and the bars down the side. I have 3. One I had before surgery, one after and one my cousin gave me. I took the sleeve out of hers and put on the one I like because it was made different and is more comfortable.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Ditsy1
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

Hi Jodi --

Hope things are better today. My Achilles tendon didn't start bothering me either until I overdid it in shoes the first day I was supposed to be transitioning from the boot to shoes. I learned my lesson about overdoing it! It is feeling better but as you say, it is because it was not being used for so long that it complained when I overdid it because I thought I was ready.

My short brace is a Darco Vario Body Armor ankle brace. It fits into any shoe, has a short bottom and two "sides" that support the ankle and two narrow velcro straps that go across the sides and ankle. It has removable and interchangeable supports for the heel area and arches, depending how much support one needs. It is supposed to be good for PTTD and peroneal (outside ankle tendons) tendon support. I am supposed to only have to wear it for another week or so. My foot is still somewhat flexible in it, so it is not like the boot in that respect. It feels much safer to me to be walking around in the shoes of the same height and without only one having a rocker bottom. My PT recommended the brace and my insurance covered it, minus the deductible, of course.

Hope you can resolve your shopping dilemma soon!

Happy healing!

Dits

Closed Thread