It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• when did you know it was time for flat foot surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
    l129
    (female)

l129 HB Userl129 HB Userl129 HB User
    Question when did you know it was time for flat foot surgery?

Hi everyone - for those that had surgery to fix their flat feet - how did you decide that it was the right time to do it? Was it primarly the level of pain you were in? or was it the impact on your routine?

I have had flat feet for my entire life and recently I was told I would have to have surgery on my left foot. It is VERY flat. My surgeon at Mercy Med took a ton of x-rays and showed me this 26 degree angle that should apparently not be there - it should be 0 degrees.

When I was in my 20s and 30s, I would have this occasional, randomly occurring pain in my left "arch". It was this very intense stabbing pain where the arch should be - it felt like a rubberband was pulled really tight and my foot would sort of lock up - sometimes I would walk on the outside of my foot for a day or 2.

By late 30s - this pain was no longer occurring and other than really tired feet if I tried to be on them for a few hours - it was OK. I knew to wear sneakers if I needed to walk any distance. Then my 40s came with some new symptoms.

In Feb 2010, I started a new job and it was very stressful, lots of hours and I gained 30 lbs in 2 yrs time (whereby I had never gained more than 1-2 lbs prior). So - I think this sudden weight gain was too much for my foot. In early 2011, I had developed this soreness in my left ankle that got continually worse in 2011 and by Dec 2011 I could put almost no weight on my left foot in the morning and would hobble down the stairs, primarly using the right foot. My husband convinced me to try PT and it was a godsend!!! I did PT in Dec 2011 and Jan 2012. It didn't fix it 100% but vastly improved. Turns out, according to the therapist, it was pain from the tendon and that was due to the way I walk on my left foot. I still have the slight soreness in the tendon but it's very do-able. Then, in Sep 2012, my right foot started hurting and it was never an issue. I had this sharp pain in the right heel.

The "new" issue with the "good foot" (right foot), really worried me and that's when my husband suggested I see Dr Myerson at Mercy Med - foot surgeon. Since I did so well with PT, I thought that would be the 1st course of action. But after taking a ton of x-rays and examing my feet, all concerns were with my LEFT foot (although my concern was with the right) and he said that I needed surgery on the left foot and the pain in my right foot was due to me favoring it over my left foot and I was developing plantar fascitis in my right.

Apparently losing weight, PT, etc. are not going to "fix" that 26 degree angle I have in my left foot. Apparently my bones are getting out of alignment and that is going to get worse with age.

Dr Myerson said that I don't need surgery immediately, but the longer I wait the greater chance that my surgery will become more complicated. I left my Nov appt with an AIRCAST brace on my left foot and if I put off surgery more than a few months, he wants me in a fitted, custom brace on my left foot.

When I was at my 1st appt in Nov 2012, I was told I would need surgery to tighten up my ligaments and the recovery was 6 wks non-weight bearing, 6 wks in a boot, 3 months PT.

When I was at my 2st appt in Jan 2013, I was told I needed 2 bone grafts to change the way the foot sits (one graft on the ankle and one of the top of my foot). When I asked about the ligament tightening I was told he may need to repair to the spring ligament. I was also told that recovery was 2 wks non-weight bearing (which was quite a switch from 6 wks), 6 weeks boot and 3 months PT.

So I thought surgery would be best to do before it does become complicated. However, after my 2nd appt, I went to google the info written on my surgery sheet and it appears that the "bone graft" really entails cutting 2 or more bones and inserting a piece of bone and most folks have a plate and screws in their foot.

So - now I am putting off surgery and totally freaked out. My physical therapist said I have the flattest foot he's ever seen and recommended I talk to a local podiatrist and come up with a list a questions to take back to the surgeon (my appt with the podiatrist is next week).

Sorry for this very long post but I am now struggling with the best course of action. I am afraid that I am in the beginning stages of my foot being on a downward slide and want the best surgical outcome if I am going to have to have surgery regardless; however I'm not getting on an operating table until I really understand what I am getting into.

In the interim, I am losing weight and doing my foot strenghtening exercises every day.

What's your story? Did your flat feet start out OK and get worse? How did you know it was time to have surgery? what questions are good to ask?

Thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest.

From my surgery papers - it appears I would get the following:

1.Lateral column lengthening (this appears to be where the bone graft is done - to the lateral column of the foot - often with screws/plates)
    2.medial translation osteotomy (is this the same as a medial translational calcaneal osteotomy? - cutting the bone to prepare for bone graft?)
    3.cuneiform osteotomy (cutting the cuneiform joint - to prepare for bone graft?)
    4.(Possibly) spring ligament repair - would be decided in surgery
    5.(possibly) gastroc recession - would be decided in surgery (fixing the tightness in the calf muscle?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
    NCgirl96
    (female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
    Re: when did you know it was time for flat foot surgery?

For me, the pain came on quickly and severely, as well as the fallen arch. However, I can look back on problems I've had going back to my early teens (I'm in my late 30s now) with that foot/ankle/knee that I now believe are all related to the deformity in my ankle that took either the arch collapsing completely and/or a more astute doctor to finally pick up on. I tried all of the conservative treatments over months, and the pain continued to get worse, until the doctor said my options were either surgery or live with it, but it wasn't going to get better. I went back several times hoping to hear something different. When it got to the point I was in a lot of pain all the time, just walking across my house was painful, I knew it was time. I was also developing pain in other parts of my foot, my knee, and my hip. I couldn't continue to live with the pain, and I was afraid of doing even more damage, so that sealed it for me. I had pretty much the same procedures as you 8 weeks ago. Since I'm not fully recovered yet, I can't say for sure it worked, but I sure hope so! It's a hard decision to make but for me I couldn't live with the pain, and it had changed my lifestyle so much, i wasn't okay with that, especially at my age.

The following user gives a hug of support to NCgirl96:
    l129 (01-28-2013)
    Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
    l129
    (female)

thanks for sharing your story. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress. The earliest I can have my surgery would be the very end of April. Still wrapping my head around it and gathering my info and questions.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
    PesCav
    Veteran
    (female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

So, the procedures you list sound pretty common for flat foot correction, which is prevelant on this board.

I also see Dr. Myerson, and at my first consult he confused me about how long I would be NWB, so you may want to get further clarification. In my case, I will go from a surgical cast to a walking boot, on Thursday. But -- I wont be able to actually walk in it until after the 6 week followup appt (hopefully). The boot is heavier than a fiberglass cast, but I will be able to clean my foot and message the scar tissue, so I think its a good trade off. Fortunately, I've never had a fiberglass cast so I won't know what I am missing.

As for when to have surgery, I found that my foot was holding me back from things I want to do. Will add that I waited 6 YEARS following my initial consultation with another foot surgeon.

Best wishes to you!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
    l129
    (female)

Thanks for the post. Reading your info on NWB makes sense. He said at the last appt that I'd be in walking boot after 2 weeks - but seems that is not necessarily saying I'd be NWB after 2 weeks. Mmmmm---that's a good question to ask. I realize every situation is unique but any chance he had you in a customized, special brace first? He was going to send me for that until I have surgery because he said he doesn't want my left foot moving around. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
    exdancer2
    (female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

I suffered for at least 2.9 years although I was told the problem had been there much longer. I tried everything I was told to try including 6 months PT, orthotics and a robust orthodic, taping, boot, rest, exercise...you name it I did it.
    I knew something was really wrong. I stopped being able to dance. Walking for more than 30 minutes hurt. I felt unstable balancing on my left foot. It was misdiagnosed and when it was finally correctly diagnosed and I was told it was, "serious and needed surgery sooner rather than later."
    I am 6 weeks post op today. It isn't an easy surgery but I knew I couldn't live like this any more. I wanted my life (and foot) back.

You should definitely get at least a second opinion and take time to process the information you are given.

The best advice I was given came from my cousin and a friend who are both doctors and from the boards. Choose your OS carefully and make sure they have done the procedures 300+ times min. The othe advice from a friend who is an OS and tried to talk me out initially was to go to the, "Professor of the Professors."

By the way, I also was born with flat feet. When I went to the OS who operated on me he said my left foot was "really,really flat."
    The MRI before surgery showed even more damage.

Sorry to have such a long reply but you aren't alone and will get great support from the boards.
    Good luck!
    Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
    Hachee
    (female)

Hachee HB UserHachee HB UserHachee HB User

My story is a bit different, but I was in pain for about 20 years. I sprained my ankle as a child which revealed an accessory navicular and had caused my arch to flatten out. I held out on surgery for a long time, although I had 2 dr.'s tell me that it wasn't going to work itself out (I believe I have a pretty high pain tolerance and would rather not have had surgery). I went through with all the conservative measures of orthotics and bracing, but none of that fixed the problem. I had quit doing everything. I used to dance, rollerblade, I had to quit nearly all activities, it had gotten to the point that even yoga was aggravating it! That was the last straw.
    The more research I did on the procedures and the prognosis the more I realized I should just do it. My husband was also very supportive of this, as he was also pretty active and with me being in pain we've both just sat around and got fat! This couple of months of inconvenience is going to (hopefully!) be worth it for my overall future health and well being! I don't want to sit and get fat! I want at least a semi-active lifestyle- I'm in my early 30's and I'm way too young to give up on the rest of my life for pain.
    Anyway... long story short. I had surgery on January 17th- Kidner and Gastroc recession. The past 11 days have been filled with ups and downs, but my pain level has only twice been greater than what it was prior to surgery. I take that as a good sign, but I'm still NWB for 4 more weeks.
    You know your body and your lifestyle, and you are the only one who can decide to go through with it. When the pain gets to be too much and interfere with your life too much... well then maybe it's time
    Sorry for my preachy ramblings... it helps me stay optimistic on my own recovery! I hope you find relief soon!

<3 Hachee
    ---------------

Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
    Missyluke
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

For me, my symptoms began gradually. My foot would be extremely tired after several hours on it and then I begin to experience a burning hot pain in my arch if I stood to long. At the beginning I had pain along the posterior tibial tendon but after a few months this subsided and the pain was located on the medial side of my ankle. After spending "quality"time in a cast, my pod wanted to recast me to give it more time. I finally had enough and said no - I wanted this resolved and after six weeks in a soft cast and hard cast had not fixed it, recasting it would not fit it either. He asked another surgeon to look at it and the MRI. This doctor had me try to do a single heal raise which I could not - he said the only option was surgery. I am now having problems with my other foot due to a work injury. This injury has started the whole flat foot problem. The workman's comp. ortho said it is a fine balancing act to decide to have surgery. He said when I can not take the pain anymore it will be time. But he also cautioned that the longer I wait, this reduces the options available to correct the problem.

The following user gives a hug of support to Missyluke:
    l129 (01-30-2013)
    Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
    l129
    (female)

"Missy" - this story sounds familar - while my surgeon said the surgery is not "urgent" for me but he cautioned that the longer I wait, the greater my chances of a more complicated surgery and possibly having to fuse bones together - whereas - that is not where it is now. I am not in much pain now which makes the decision tougher, pain is basically: a posterior tibial tendon that is a little sore each day (after re-habbing it with PT a year ago - it was so bad that I hopped on my right foot each AM), really tired feet if I have to stand or walk too long, and now my right foot is a little sore each day (which I am told is due to my left being worse). I know my surgeon is one of the top in the country but it's hard to listen to when it's not what I want to hear. However I do have this nagging worry that this is the start of it getting worse - which is why I went to see him in the 1st place. I am gathering some more info, getting a list of Qs and going to talk to my surgeon some more. Hang in there.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
    l129
    (female)

Red face Re: when did you know it was time for flat foot surgery?

valkyrie2 - if you are still out there - I had a post from you that I tried to respond to but cannot find your post now and my reply disappeared from the screen while I was writing it. So - I am not the most talented poster in the message board! Anyway - wanted to say thank you for your post and for the info on the cast cover and cozy. It sounded like your post-surgery was going well - that really gives me hope. If you are still out there - did Dr Myerson at Mercy Medical do your surgery? Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
    lauralei51
    (female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Hi there. I just had the exact same surgery you are being recommended to have, l129. My surgery was done Feb. 6th, so today is 3 weeks out. And I am doing really well. :-)
    However, it took me 2 yrs before I decided to do the surgery. I didn't start having foot pain until about 3 yrs ago. I just put up with it. Then my grown daughter had to have surgery on her foot...accessory navicular bone excision and PTT. I was describing the pain I was having in my right foot and she said it was the same as hers and that her doc told her it was hereditary. So I went to a podiatrist and they took xrays...yep, both my feet have accessory navicular bones in the arch. I asked him what I could do...he started talking about surgery and used scarey words like "fusion" or ankle replacement. This freaked me out, I had just had a knee surgery and I was so sick of surgery that I closed my mind to what he was saying, and told him I wanted to try orthotics. He said it sure was something I could try, and it might help a bit, but that it would not change the fact that my foot and ankle had structural issues that only surgery could fix.

For a while, the orthotics helped. For my right foot, it still is helping. But gradually, over 2 yrs time, my left foot got worse and worse. I couldn't go grocery shopping without wanting so sit down and cry half an hour into it. I couldn't cook Thanksgiving dinner without being in screaming pain from being on my feet in the kitchen all day. MOst of my pain was on the outside of my foot, the entire length and under my ankle bone (I had a tendon tear) and all over the top of my foot. I also always felt like my foot was unstable, like it would roll on me if I wasn't super careful. I finally went back to the doc in Jan. and said "I give up". I can't even walk my dogs half a block without wanting my husband to come pick me up in the car. I went to the doc knowing he was going to talk surgery again, and this time, I was ready for it. I was losing a certain quality of life that I am not willing to give up yet. I want to be able to walk my dogs, go shopping, go hiking, etc. He told me there was significant changes in 2 yrs, and that I could certainly try new orthotics but it would never change the fact that my foot was deformed and needed to corrected. He also told me if I waited much longer, I might end up with a fusion or replacement instread of him being able to reconstruct it. That cinched it for me. I left the office with a surgery date 3 wks from that day.

I know I made the right decision. At my post op visit, when the doc took my ace bandage and splint off, and xrays were looked at, my doc said I was healing exceptionally well. Even though I couldn't move my ankle much (because I was told not to), I could FEEL the difference even then...it felt tighter, different than the other ankle. I got a hard cast put on (lovely purple one) and I have to be in my cast till Mar. 27 (7 wks in a cast total) and then they take more xrays and take the cast off...if all is well, I get a walking boot and get to start doing parial weight bearing. I can't wait!

Now, I am only 3 wks out from having had the surgery, but my gut instinct is telling me it was a good decision, for myself. The accessory navicular bone caused my flat feet..but it was very very gradual. As a kid, it was always said I had weak ankles and I would sprain them all the time, but nobody ever caught the fact that I had those extra bones. In fact, all my knee issues are probably because of my feet. And my hip pain. Who knew? It all makes sense now.

Good luck with making your decision.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
    l129
    (female)

Thanks for that post. To you, and all the folks, that have had foot surgery, wow - you are so brave - hats off to you! So glad to hear your recovery is going well. I think many of us most go through the "I want to fix it myself" phase. While I have accepted the fact that losing weight and PT will not "fix" my particular problem, I have lost 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks and having that extra weight off of my feet feels great! Before gaining 30 lbs in just 2 years time, I didn't have an "every day" issue with my left foot, in fact, it was not frequent at all, then with the extra weight, the posterior tibial tendon is sore every day. So - I have to lose the weight anyway even though weight loss will not provide an arch I have never had. Sounds like you were in quite a bit of pain prior to surgery - so that's where I want to circle back with my doc since my "pain" is really that tendon soreness but I am worried about it tearing. Best to you and your recovery.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
    Pesher
    (female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Hi all,
    I waited 4 years to do this - and I saw 4 doctors, some twice, and interviewed them thoroughly. I tried everything, but I finally picked the Doctor in NYC who supposedly wrote the book on my procedures. I am happy that I did this - and I am protecting my other foot, so that I do not have this again. I probably had a predisposition for the problem, but a fall 4 years ago, and flip flops worn too often in the summer, caused my arch to collapse, and decision was made based on pain and inability to perform my usual daily activities. I am active, slim, with "bony " feet, and now at exactly 12 weeks today post op, I am wearing a cumbersome boot, doing PT out of the house (hubby is retired) and looking forward to April 9th, nearly 18 weeks post op, when I will be FWB and hopefully on a cane. The surgery is the easy part of this whole thing - it's the recovery that is hard. But this board is very helpful, and as you recuperate, you will find others in your same time line and you can share... it's hard to constantly call the docs and ask - but we all have some answers to start you off. Good luck -

Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
    TamiNicole
    (female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

I'm 25 years old and about to go under the knife for the first time in 11 days for my (very) flat feet. I knew I had to do something more than just orthodics when my husband and I were in Milan about two years ago on vacation and a short while after leaving the hotel, I was in tears I was in so much pain. I spent pretty much the rest of the day in the hotel room with my feet up and taking Advil... NOT how I wanted to spend my first trip to Italy.

My ankles have hurt me every day from the age of 13 or 14, and I got my first orthodics at about 15. I've had a few new ones made since then, but none really kept my pain to a manageable level if I did any sort of walking. As I got older, the pain was no longer just in my ankles, but in my knees as well. If I had been on my feet at all, my knees would be extremely inflamed the next day. What was concerning to me is that my paternal grandmother had both her knees replaced, and my dad had both his knees replaced at a young age.

I first started looking into surgery about a year and a half ago. I interviewed a few surgeons back in Texas but none of them really gave me the confidence to go through the surgery. I became very quickly discouraged and gave up. It took another year for me to take up the search again when I was no longer able to walk around our flat for any length of time barefoot. This time my search was half-way around the world where we are currently living in the Middle East.

I have found a wonderful American surgeon who consults with a hospital in Dubai and instilled so much confidence, I was ready to go under the knife that day. Unfortunately because of her limited time in the Middle East, it was another two months before I was able to schedule the procedure.

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

The following user gives a hug of support to TamiNicole:
    Pesher (03-14-2013)
    Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
    eis2484
    (female)

eis2484 HB User

I knew I was ready for surgery when I was having a difficult time going up and down stairs and even just walking on the treadmill for ten minutes. Like OP, I have had flat feet my entire life. As a result my knees are pointed outward, which puts more pressure on my hips and my back. At age 29 I should not be concerned about going up a flight of stairs or hip pain - I want my life back! I am also a patient of Dr. Myerson's and am very impressed with him as a surgeon. He did a great job of explaining the procedures to me and even wrote on my foot so I could see where the incisions would be visually. His team has been really helpful and I look forward to having the surgery this summer.

Closed Thread

Tags
    flat feet, gastroc recession, lateral column lengthening, osteotomy