It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Questions about tendon transfer surgery for foot drop?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
    thoward2
    (female)

thoward2 HB User
    Questions about tendon transfer surgery for foot drop?

Hello everyone! This is my first time ever on this site, so I'm not quite sure how to use it, but I'm going to try my best.

So first off, let me tell you about my foot drop. When I was about 6, first grade, I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis. After being in the hospital for a few months and several years of therapy I have made a full recovery, the only main problem left is my foot drop. I don't wear braces anymore, not because I don't need them, but they were kind of embarrassing during my middle school years. The foot drop does not cause any pain in my feet and I can walk fine, it just doesn't look that great considering I can't pull my foot up very much. I've been heavily considering tendon transfer surgery to make my walk a little more "normal".

Has anyone had this surgery with similar foot drop? A lot of people I've seen that have gotten this have newly developed foot drop and they have difficulty walking. Also if you have had it, would you recommend it? Do you think it would cause pain later on? I would also be moving the tendons that allow my foot to push down because they're very strong, how much would that effect my ability to push down?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
    PesCav
    Veteran
    (female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
    Re: Questions about tendon transfer surgery for foot drop?

Hi, I just had surgery along the lines of what you are discussing. So far, I think my decision to have surgery was a good move, time will tell. This surgery is not something to take lightly -- my OS assured me yesterday that even by big-city-foot-surgeon standards it is significant. The usual path forward is to try conservative approaches first. Have you considered an SMO or one of the new carbon orthotics for foot drop? Even after my surgery, which has aligned my foot structurally, I may need orthotics to give some power to my step.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
    slarocco
    (female)

slarocco HB User

I also have foot drop from a virus "Guillian Barre" which effect the nerves. However, I'm having surgery March 8th for a few things....tendon transfer, achilles lenthening and also the calcaneal osteotmy. My ankle turns out and is very weak, so that's why the calcaneal osteotmy. I'm hoping that it will at least give me some stability to my ankle. As for the foot drop the tendon transfer will help a little in my case. The nerves are extremely damaged so the surgeon didn't give me much hope for full recovery of foot drop. But I do know that some people have great success with the tendon transfer for foot drop and I'm sure there are people on this site that can give you their insight.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
    Gimp123
    (female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User

Have you made up your mind about having a tendon transfer surgery? I had my first one last June, unfortunately, my PT tore my tendon and has to redo it. It made me feel like I had won the lottery when I was walking for a few weeks, but when the PT tore it, I felt like I was robbed. .. Just have trust in your PT and tell him the name of the surgery procedure and what it entails. I'm still using my boot for walking outside, and the AFO while inside. I have 2 more months until my final appt with the OS and he'll give me the news that I nolonger need the AFO, boot, nor cane!!

If your sitting of the fence, I'd say do it. You'll be able to walk without thinking of lifting your foot - eventually get back to playing sports and dance.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
    Gimp123
    (female)

Have you made up your mind about having a tendon transfer surgery? I had my first one last June, unfortunately, my PT tore my tendon and has to redo it. It made me feel like I had won the lottery when I was walking for a few weeks, but when the PT tore it, I felt like I was robbed. .. Just have trust in your PT and tell him the name of the surgery procedure and what it entails. I'm still using my boot for walking outside, and the AFO while inside. I have 2 more months until my final appt with the OS and he'll give me the news that I nolonger need the AFO, boot, nor cane!!

If your sitting of the fence, I'd say do it. You'll be able to walk without thinking of lifting your foot - eventually get back to playing sports and dance.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
    slarocco
    (female)

slarocco HB User

I did have the tendon transfer, achilles lengthening, and heel adjustment. I am right now doing partial weight bearing with a walker. I'm still not able to lift my foot up to high, just a very little....is that normal? Were you able to lift your foot up right after surgery? I"m a little disappointed that I can only lift a little and hoping that as my foot heals I can get a little more range.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
    Gimp123
    (female)

Hi, as you do your exercises, you'll get stronger...your foot will move about 20 degrees (I think). My surgeon had a patient who was a basketball player, he still is, but is unable to make any jump shots. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
    slarocco
    (female)

slarocco HB User

Yes your response helps....20% is better than none. I do exercise 2 to 3 x's a day trying to lift my foot and giving myself a little massage as my leg is sore. My calf is really gone, so I'm hoping that will return as well.

Thanks,
    Sue

Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
    slarocco
    (female)

slarocco HB User
    Question Re: Questions about tendon transfer surgery for foot drop?

PesCav....what is the SMO or Carbon Orthotics for foot drop? I have never heard of them. Is this something new for foot drop instead of the AFO brace?

Reply Reply

Tags
    foot drop, tendon transfer