It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Bah. Sudden Twinge?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
    Snowrunner
    Veteran
    (female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
    Bah. Sudden Twinge?

Hi all... So I've been walking GREAT for the past several days. My foot feels achy, but since my PT session Wednesday it has been way more flexible.

Today I walked at a fairly normal speed and felt good. In the afternoon, I was walking down the main hallway in my school when I had to stop short due to pain. It was in the sort of hollow spot between my ankle bone and the top of my foot... Closer to the bone than the top.

It was sudden and really sharp. I could stand on it but limped a bit. I sat down and just tried to stay calm. I wasn't terrible pain but it was sharp enough to give me pause. And my ankle has been aching since.

I'm not limping anymore but I admit to worry. I didn't twist anything and can't really describe what - if anything - happened.

I admit to being scared. I played it safe and didn't hit the gym. I was planning on a 15-20 minute stationary bike ride but didn't go and iced instead.

Ideas?

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
    ohitscourtney
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
    Re: Bah. Sudden Twinge?

Hmm maybe its just getting use to be worked again? It can take our feet a long time to get back to normal and maybe this sharp pain was a sign that its getting back to normal and everything working but, it being overused? That's the only thing I can think of.

If you are still really worried and this keeps up than I would place a call to your OS. Its always good to be on the safe side of things esp with our feet. But it seems like things are going well for you and your improving. So don't worry too much about it unless it keeps happening

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

1/8/15 Gallbladder Removal

Old 03-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
    ginger62
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Hey Snow, it sounds like what others have described when scar tissue "pops", which is supposed to be a good thing. I remember reading about it before my surgery. Maybe do a search? It hasn't happened to me, although I wish it would. I have a knot the size of marble on my ankle.
    Ginger

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I'm also wondering (since you didn't twist it or remember any injury) if it's scar tissue. I have a LOT of it in that area (which is the area of your ATFL) from 2 surgeries on my ATFL and about 6 wks ago, my PT was doing scar tissue massage on that spot (because I was having pain there) and he felt a big pop while doing it and it hurt a bit, but not bad...kind of like you described (except I wasn't walking when it happened) and I went on my way. I had dinner/movie with a friend that night and it got more and more painful and swelled up. I iced and it eventually went down. PT thinks he broke up some scar tissue. But like others said, it's always better to be on the safe side so if you're really scared (and it's okay to be!!), then I'd call your OS and let them know!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
    PesCav
    Veteran
    (female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Scar tissue pops, one more thing to worry about!!!!

Last edited by PesCav; 03-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
    Snowrunner
    Veteran
    (female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
    It's doing okay. My PT thinks its just everything loosening up. With my youngest getting really sick yesterday (he's in the hospital for respiratory stuff but should go home today) I walked a ton and fast. It's sore but ok I think. It was achy for sure last night.

I'm really hoping to make it to PT tonight.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Snowrunner
    ohitscourtney (03-14-2013),PesCav (03-14-2013)
    Closed Thread