It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• The first thing I would do is...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
    vikkio
    (female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User
    Re: The first thing I would do is...

RuthS.. our teenagers are soo handy , aren't they???... Yeah, it was my teen who made me the "Vodka Spritzer in my Ice bag, all i was missing was a mint leaf!!, ur husband is an EMT?? ur KIDDINGG??? HAHAAHA!!! u r so... , no he is soooo sooo funny! that's why we marry them right? plus since he is in the Medical field I hear EMT's get great discounts on Cruises.... ( I love to cruise, I get no discounts ) , its the only place i can stick my kids in their play areas, even the teen, and they don't want to come out , and my husband and I get to eat, have fun. see shows, all the while, teh kids are having a Ball!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
    vikkio
    (female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User
    Re: The first thing I would do is......

Yeah,,, Animal, I learned that, Don't try to do too much... Assumptions are dangerous. They do think you can move mountains because you have stitches out . You are soo telling the truth, and we all have to be careful, because we don't want to overdo it and have to have another surgery. . Im sorry for all the responses, but I keep re- reading your threads , and i'm laughing , crying, choking with laughs and giggles, laughter is the best medicine, the funny part is ,we are all telling the truth !

Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #18
    ddill
    (female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User
    Re: The first thing I would do is......

I'm getting some serious chuckles out of all your comments but I may have the opposite problem where my husband wants to do everything--all wrong!

Yes, he is doing the laundry by putting everything in one load (dirty work jeans with my underwear), then uses as little water as possible and no softener.

He loads the dishwasher by putting everything face down so it only holds about three cereal bowls on the top rack, he says it is full so he runs it...but when he puts the stuff away no one can find anything as he rearranged where things go.

I made up some meals prior to surgery and put them in freezer so all he would have to do is put them in oven. He didn't think my directions were right so he bakes the meatloaf at 250 degrees (rather than 350) and I couldn't understand why it wasn't ready for four hours.

The living room needed vacuuming since I had spilled crackers so he got out the shop vac and used it for the entire living room, dining room and kitchen, swishing the nozzle back and forth about 2,000 times.

Oh well, he is trying and he does get me anything I ask for so I take the good with the bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to ddill For This Useful Post:
    vikkio (04-10-2013)
    Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #19
    TamiNicole
    (female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vikkio View Post
    hi TamiNicole, In my opinion..why don't you call your doctor to see if a smaller size would be better for you? I had an ossur aircast before my surgery, because it made walking feel better...and they gave me a medium, and my foot was sliding around like spaghetti , it was soooo uncomfortable. so i had to demand a smaller one, because , i kept asking, and they were saying... """ nooo, this is your size.." and i said well if it is<please proof that i am wrong, please bring me a small out and let me see how it feels on my foot, .." and they did , and it was perfect. The nurse was saying that they wanted me to have a little room inside so my foot wouldn't bump the front, but my foot never bumped the front or peeked out in a small, that's just my opinion. everyone's situation is different
    Got the smaller Ossur Aircast today! Was in the Dr's getting the dressings off and made her let me try on a small and wow what a difference it made! for the first time my foot isn't slipping around in the boot (or like you said "spaghetti"!)

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

The following user gives a hug of support to TamiNicole:
    vikkio (04-10-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to TamiNicole For This Useful Post:
    vikkio (04-10-2013)
    Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #20
    IrishAD
    (female)

IrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB User

This is definately an entertaining thread!!

My boyfriend has been amazing ( we live together) mostly!! So before this happened I did most of the housework and cooking, he took out the garbage and .....well, really thats all he did was take out the garbage.

So while he has been a great sport, he does everything wrong!! I try not to point it out, but some things just drive me crazy. He does laundry only once a week, so when I want my favorite sweats and they are not clean, and it takes 5 hours on a Saturday to get through all the wash, is drives me NUTS!! He also just leaves all my clothes in a laundry basket.....for me, he says he does it for me so its easier for me to get my stuff and its all in one place!! HA! Its balled up and wrinkled!!

He also only vaccums once a week, when I complain on a Saturday that it needs to be done. We have a large dog who in turns leaves very large fur balls all over our house. It drives me nuts!!!

On Saturday we were sitting outside on the deck, finally a nice day, and my dog was in the yard running, and she tore her ACL. You should have seen us pull up to the vet, they were probably looking out the window like WTH?!! Me with my crutches, and him with a now 3 legged dog in tow!! So now, he needs to take care of me and the dog!! So he needs to get my med, her meds, get her fed, get me fed, take her out and help her down the stairs, help me in the shower!! It's all really like a bad comedy!!!

The first thing I will be doing when I am able is to take a normal shower unassisted!!! I also can not wait to carry my own coffee cup!! I aslo cant wait to have a drink!! LOL

The following user gives a hug of support to IrishAD:
    vikkio (04-10-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to IrishAD For This Useful Post:
    vikkio (04-10-2013)
    Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
    RuthS
    (female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

Well I went to work yesterday for the first time since January 16th. This was actually a great time of year for me to have taken off so much time. Worked out well. Of course I came home, exhausted, elevated and iced my foot. They were all looking at me for dinner. Seriously???? You haven't starved over the last 11 weeks, one more night won't make or break you!!! (no pun intended)

I'm laughing at the vacuuming issues ... best I got out of my bunch was one son vacuumed the stairs with a dust buster. At least I had a lady come (my new BFF) for 2 hours once a week.

I see I'm going to have to do things in secret, keep a low profile, to continue getting help around here!

Can't wait to drive again! That'll be the best thing ever!!!!

PS- hubby is a volunteer EMT for our community, so no freebies of anything, and apparently no much help with my incisions either. I keep him since he washes dishes!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
    vikkio
    (female)

Yaay!! for you TamiNicole, Comfort is Priceless!! I'm so happy for you, I had such an elated feeling when I received my correct size boot, which was what I walked in for comfort before my surgery. My motto is never take" No" for an answer, ..(at least not the first time) .

I so love all these threads, I can't wait to sit home in front of my computer and get a warm smile and laugh(...wait a minute, im always sitting home in front of my computer!!! )
    I love the dishes thread, and the washer machine stories, thanks Ddill for your shopvac story, thats Real Love . Ok, my PetPeeve today is ..{no pun intended IrishAd. } phone calls, okay, what is so "ultra ultra hyperultra annoying and irritating to me are these phone calls that start like this.. ...

* Ring, Ring, Bbrraaring ,
    *( i answer) Hello?
    * Hey Gurl !! Whatcha Doin?????????
    ( Im thinking... What da "humdiggedydong" do you think I'm doing?? )

* me: I had that Early-Riser Stiletto Heel Aerobic Class this morning at 4am, so i'm a little tired, how bout you?

..... as we all have been sitting at home doing the same freak'n thing for the last couple of weeks, right?
    .. then when you don't answer the phone, my friends, family, they get offended, like... You can't answer my call? .. i think enough said on this topic. They call right?????? but they never come over? whats that all about????? LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to vikkio For This Useful Post:
    FlatFootArch (05-02-2013)
    Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #23
    RuthS
    (female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

TamiNicole ... great to hear the new boot is more comfortable. I didn't realize there were so many types of boots out there, I was only offered one.

Vikkio, you crack me up!!! I had people calling too (read calling.... also not visiting) and they'd ask, 'so whay'd ya do today?'. I would answer "I watched tv and ate bonbons all day". there would be a pause ... and I would say, no seriously watched tv and bonbons all day. What kind of answer did they expect??? ... Well I got up and went to the washroom and made it back alive! By the time I made it back I was ready for a nap. They don't understand the heroic efforts involved in that! No applause or fanfare heard for that accomplishment.
    I would sit there some days plotting ways to rig up mop and wash the fingerprints off the ceiling (remember I've got a housefull of teen boys!). It's some rite of passage when they can touch the ceiling somehow.

also love the dishwasher and vacuum stories. This thread is making it easier....

Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #24
    TamiNicole
    (female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

RuthS & Vikkio -- I still have another (third!) boot on its way. I started looking at the VacoCast's website & ******** page after EMTmomma's rave reviews and I decided to give it a try. Apparently it's like night and day from the aircast...

Plus, I'm going to have my left foot done at some point in the not-so-distant future AND I've booked a vacation for my husband and I that will be 3 nights in Rome and a 7-night Mediterranean cruise so having a comfortable boot will be imperative. (The trip will be almost exactly 3 months post-op)

Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
    hida
    (female)

hida HB Userhida HB Userhida HB User

Vikkio, I am 4 weeks out of my cast. The first thing I did was to soak my foot and scrape off all the dead skin and shave my leg....it was so satisfying

Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
    vikkio
    (female)

HEY EVERYONE !!! I have a revelation to make!!!! I believe all of our doctors know each other?? maybe they are best friends or something ... cuz, all of our incisions look about the same!!!!!!!!! GO FIGURE??? its a small world!! from Abu Dhabi to Canada to ChiTown!!! That musta been one Heckofa Party they all went TO !! LOL

TamiNicole, your in Abu Dhabi your supposed to be Gucci and Chanel shopping, not aircast shopping, LOL !! im jus kidding. i think ur like me, once I get going on something, I can't stop(until I have every color)...think the therapy hasn't kicked in yet..(GEt it !! Kicked In ?? ) HAHAA..pun was sooo intended! Also. I planned a cruise in September on the NCL Breakaway. I loove cruising!!.. on another note?? were you ever put in a cast? hard or soft? jus asking.. I'm currently in a neon pink hard cast!

RuthS ... You again, have me in "Stitches" , well im out , but.. u get it, Right? no, it was my Left foot...(okay, im getting supergoofy tonight! ) love d fingerprint thing, please keep em comming!! .. amazingly we are all speaking from true life experiences.

Z4hidap, so are you fully weight bearing now? how long were you in a cast?

Hey ??????? Where is Our REALITY TV show??????? I think we deserve one!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
    TamiNicole
    (female)

ACTUALLY my OS usually works for the "Greater Hartford Orthopedic Group" so it's very likely that someone in the NE might have had her! She only comes to Dubai every month or two. I was put into a boot when I got out of surgery -- no cast for me!

The UAE has soo many malls its very easy to get sick of them. Abu Dhabi has eleven malls with another two currently under construction. (And we're not talking small malls either, we're talking big enough to get lost in.) I don't even want to think about Dubai: going to the Dubai Mall (literally the biggest mall in the world and connected to the Burj Khalifa) is an exhausting experience because it's impossible to get to where you're wanting to go in a reasonable amount of time. First-world problems, anyone?

On the way back from the Dr's last week my husband and I stopped at the Mall of the Emirates (the one with the indoor skiing you see on the Travel Channel all the time; it also has the only IHOP in the country) and my knee scooter got tons of very funny looks. Most of them were confused like "what's a grown woman doing on a scooter in a mall"... it's not until they notice the giant boot that they look less confused.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #28
    hida
    (female)

hida HB Userhida HB Userhida HB User

Vikkio I was in a cast for 16 weeks!!!! I am full weight bearing in shoes in the house but still need crutches outside and going up and down stairs. My other big first has been taking standing up showers......no more sitting down.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #29
    Animal1968
    (female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Ok, was told yesterday at 12 week appt, you can start to go into a trainer.

Husband in evening.... Oh good you can go shopping now, and shall we all go out for the day to celebrate!

They just don't get it do they? Ha ha bless them
    At least now, I can start getting this house put back to the way it used to be.

As for the visiting, Yes everyone text or called, but only one visited! Before I went in promises of visits, cakes etc i thought I'd be fighting them off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #30
    Animal1968
    (female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Ok here is the funniest moment whilst on bed rest!

Delivery driver comes to house and runs back out of garden when my my dog came out, who would of licked him to death, hearing the commotion, I drag myself over to bedroom window, and shout it ok, he refuses to come back in, and says he will drop them over the gate.

Seemed like a good idea, till I realised husband and daughter out at work/school and weather looked dodgy. Needed to get the boxes with daughters birthday pressies inside.
    Mission begins
    Crutched to stairs, down stairs on butt and crutched to kitchen (completely exhausted at this point) grab plastic bag and start to go down garden path, one crutch misses path and goes into mud and I nearly go head first into floor, compose myself get to parcels and only one will fit into bag, tear other box and hang it on little finger ( hope you picturing this, cos I am in my pjs too) start back towards house, bag tears and box drops out, wanting to cry at this point! I keep going and manage to throw one box into porch, feel like I may die at this point, get another bag of same superior quality and go back and get other box, deliver to porch. Shut door mission accomplished!! Then manage to fall over step on way in.
    Drag myself up the stairs huffing and puffing and fall back into bed, heart sounding like it may break through chest wall. Then, literally 5 mins later my daughter comes in, finished school early, I could not believe it!
    Husband comes home later on, and says you have left marks all over the carpet....crutch in mud moment!
    I wonder what the neighbours made of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Animal1968 For This Useful Post:
    FlatFootArch (05-02-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal, funny, healing, laughter, recovery