It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• The first thing I would do is...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
    vikkio
    (female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User
    Thumbs up The first thing I would do is...

Hi every body.... !!!!!!

As i sit, lay and twist here in my bed, I have noticed I have alot of ample time on my hands, ....and feet. , I was thinking to myself, "" If I look down right now,and see my foot out of my cast, what would I do????

I think The first thing I would do would be to thank God , secondly ....raid the refrigerator for goodies, thirdly jump in my stick shift Porsche Turbo and let the wind fly in my hair....

Meanwhile slammed back into reality, a nice cup of tea and breakfast would be nice.... ooh yeah!! getting the kids to bring me a whole roll of toilet paper to my bathroom, and not square pieces....

I'm wondering what would be some of the first things on others lists to do ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
    RuthS
    (female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User
    Re: The first thing I would do is......

I have to say it was an amazing feeling just being able to carry a cup of coffee to the table. I did use a HUGE bladder buster sized mug and filled it 2/3 so i had splash space.

I found a racing game on my ipad, Real Racing 3. A few days I played it for hours.... I can beat any of my teen sons on this game now!! That bothered them and kept me busy! Now they're ahead of me though. I can't wait to drive again, that will be so liberating!!

My husband and 5 teens sons have been 'ruling the roost'. It's aggravating when everything is "okay, I'll do it later...". I still have to see later! They just rolled their eyes at me for the last 2-3 weeks. They also learned to stay out of earshot. If mom yells in the dining room and no one hears does she really need help???? Or will some other sucker go to help?

Hang in there, you seriously need a sense of humor for this whole thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to RuthS For This Useful Post:
    vikkio (04-06-2013)
    Old 04-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
    Animal1968
    (female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Ha ha your not wrong about the sense of humour!

I played Hay day on my ipad, this kept me occupied, but it was hard to concentrate sometimes.
    Definantly the eye roll and tut under their breath once the novelty wore off.

The one thing I was looking forward to (apart from ever walk again :-)) was the shave and bath with my leg in it, it was my highlight, sad little person that I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Animal1968 For This Useful Post:
    vikkio (04-06-2013)
    Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
    RuthS
    (female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

Funny that, I was surprised at how I lost my attention span. Watched so many things but couldn't get through a book... and I'm a big reader. Knitted TONS, all my friends now need to have a baby! Taught myself to crochet from online videos.

vikkio (04-06-2013)
    Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
    vikkio
    (female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User

I never knew I could laugh at so many things, jus so I don't cry !! Ha !!!!!! Try Patience , out the Wahoo !!.. Hahaa.!

I have a husband and 2 boys, aged 9 and 13 ..wow, talk about testing the limits of gravity . This trio have evolved into something I have never seen before.
    .... but the BIG question is, , why did i prepare before my surgery by buying plastic cups and plastic plates enough to hold a cookout for the state of Maryland, .. but still, I have never seen so many dirty dishes in my life in the sink?????

They Lie !!!!!! they Lie to me all the time!!because "THEY " know that "I " can't get down the stairs alot, when I ask where is the rest of the "OREO ICE CREAM CAKE " they tell me .."Ooh its finished mom!! "", or ice cream?? "OOH , ITS ALL GONE!! ""

I couldn't understand this liquidation of my most treasured asset so soon, so as i "crutched (NWB), then butt hopped down the stairs ,( they are as many as you can imagine!! ) , luckily i have a wheelchair on the 2nd floor of the house , and Thank God I have a Supersized kitchen, so i wheeled myself around to the frigerator, (after my kids have been using it for their own entertainment) so I have to Re-adjust the settings... I open the freezer, and I see the Oreo ice cream cake with just one slither out, the one they gave me a week ago!! Yeah.. they have been starving me., RUTHs,Animal1968, U all have made me feel more"NORMAL" with my own feelings through this. Thanks, keep em comming... Im just sitting here.......

Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
    Animal1968
    (female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Ha ha your ice cream story made me chuckle as it was very similar to what my family did. My husband and my 14 year old daughter would go out shopping and little did I know, buy all these goodies..... Cakes, chocolate, crisps etc etc. the day I managed to crutch into the kitchen and see the goodies all over the worktops, I was like WOW!!!
    " how come I haven't had any like this brought up when I've been up in bed all day?"
    Their answer........you didn't ask?
    My lesson learned from that day forward I asked very specifically what I wanted, else I would just get the standard sandwich and crisps for lunch, ha ha( sorry not sure if that is what you guys call them)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
    RuthS
    (female)

When I was NWB, one day I spotted a chocolate bar on the top shelf of a kitchen cupboard. They thought I wouldn't know.... It took me 2 days of trying and the use of a walker and 2 crutches ( picture huge chopsticks!) to get the darned thing!
    Best chocolate bar of my life! I didn't even care who it belonged it!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
    vikkio
    (female)

Animal1968, so so funny, even though you are thousands of miles away... we are leading identical lives. . Are crisps potato chips or french fries?
    The funny thing is no one can never make a sandwich like you can right? like my son made me a sandwich... Oh my Goodness!!.... it had one slice of bologna on it and a sliver of lettuce( i hate bologna, we had like 5 different types of lunch meat in the fridge, like ham, turkey, etc..) . I just looked at it, and gave up. I said Thanks!! ...HAHAHAA!!! what kind of "ish" is that?? i kept trying to explain to him , to put mayonnaise on it, maybe more meat? a slice of cheese?? but ... then just gave up on it, and choked the sandwich down my throat, and What's up with the half cups of water I get???? I thought water was free, especially in my own house. And when I try to be specific as you indicated, I get weird glossy stares , especially from my husband, I have never used the word "please", and "thank you ", and " when you have time" soo much. If I miss the word "please" once, ....(the grammar cops come out and get me!!) my husband is like... "You can say Please ?". My life ... You gotta laugh at it .

Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
    vikkio
    (female)

RuthS , I love chocolate soo much!! so it was conveniently placed on the top shelf huh??? I'm just imagining them saying...("" oh, she will never find/get this...hehehee ")

Glad you got it. I know you savored every bite in your mouth. GOOD FOR YOU !!!

"FDL'S AND CALCANEAL OSTS UNITE!!! "

Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
    RuthS
    (female)

Smile Re: The first thing I would do is...

Just a note, that when I would yell for help or for a favor, all of a sudden noone could hear me..... when I once saw a spider too close to the blanket on my foot and yelled trust me they all came running and had the nerve to tell me off for crying wolf. ???? seriously??? the spider was RIGHT THERE!!!
    I found that when a victim came too close at the right time, I would say "I need 3 minutes of your time to help me", and it went down better.
    Trust me, my life felt like a Mr Bean meets Cirque de Soliel episode for about 8 weeks.

vikkio (04-09-2013)
    Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
    TamiNicole
    (female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User
    Re: The first thing I would do is...

I will say that since surgery, my husband has been a wonderful nurse. I just want to know that why/how after all this time with both of us working I was always the one making dinner and now all of a sudden he can do it?!

But back to the original topic -- first thing I would do is sleep in! It doesn't feel like I've had a whole night of descent sleep since the operation (stupid boot) and it will be great to be able to finally feel decently rested.

I'm sure my list of will grow as time goes on but seeing as I'm not even two weeks post-op (and the first week was pretty miserable) I haven't had too much time to go stir crazy. I definitely see it happening, though!

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to TamiNicole For This Useful Post:
    vikkio (04-09-2013)
    Old 04-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
    Animal1968
    (female)

Hahaha water..... Now we are talking, apparently " because I didn't ask" water was the only drink I got for 3-4 weeks, even though there was an abundance of different soft drinks and hot drinks. My daughter before the operation was I will make you a hot chocolate in the evening, best I got was a bottle of spring put on the bedside cabinet
    ! :-)
    Also how come before all this I was working full time, and cooking every night and everything else, but when my husband did it, he was saying, it's such a lot for just one person, as if he shared the load before.
    And BEWARE losing the crutches!!!!!!!............this in husband land means, she is ok now, and can do everything again, I am going back to my sofa!!!! Ha ha

Crisps here are your potato chips
    ;-) xx

The Following User Says Thank You to Animal1968 For This Useful Post:
    vikkio (04-09-2013)
    Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
    RuthS
    (female)

I'm just loving this! I too feel so normal now!!

I taught my 14 yo son to make me coffee everyday before he went to school.

Sooo true about the husbands.... he thought the day I went to have the cast removed and was given the boot it was his ticket to freedom. i didn't let them know I could wash dishes for as long as I could!

My husband is a volunteer EMT, you'd think that was a help too? When I asked him advice on my incisions and a pressure sore I developed I looked green and said he was 'going to barf'! Seriously?!?! He can defib someone back to life, and deal with a choking person this weekend (ended well!) and not look at my foot??? My 17 yo son ended up taking photos every day with my ipad so I could see it.

The following user gives a hug of support to RuthS:
    vikkio (04-09-2013)
    Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
    vikkio
    (female)

hi TamiNicole, In my opinion..why don't you call your doctor to see if a smaller size would be better for you? I had an ossur aircast before my surgery, because it made walking feel better...and they gave me a medium, and my foot was sliding around like spaghetti , it was soooo uncomfortable. so i had to demand a smaller one, because , i kept asking, and they were saying... """ nooo, this is your size.." and i said well if it is<please proof that i am wrong, please bring me a small out and let me see how it feels on my foot, .." and they did , and it was perfect. The nurse was saying that they wanted me to have a little room inside so my foot wouldn't bump the front, but my foot never bumped the front or peeked out in a small, that's just my opinion. everyone's situation is different

Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
    vikkio
    (female)

Animal, im cracking up over here!!!!!! im laughing so hard!! it hurts to be deprived, Especially when your used to being in control. RuThS ur stories have me in tears, and TamiNicole, my husband never made me anything in bed...(. well, not anything on the food chain, that's another thread) ... anyway , never cooked me a french fry, and I asked him, before i went into surgery .."why don;t you ever cook for me breakfast?' and his reply was " ... but Why?" you do it soo good!!.... okkayyy... but i must say , that every morning since i been home, he cooks me bfast in bed , .... dinner, ,well, usually i;m waiting till now, its 10:58, but hey.. you can't have it all !! LOL . i jus ordered pizza 3 hours ago, cuz d kids gotta eat also. but our guys get tired, TamiNicole, ... the smiles, turn to frowns and strange grunts ( they wont let you see or hear, but they do.. )

There is not one thing you all have not said that I have not experienced. ooh..
    My son, i told him to put ice in my ice pack... he does the weirdest thing, (he has done it twice already today...) he fills the ice bag up with water and puts like 3 ice cubes in it. I said '"" HEY , I AINT GONNA DRINK THIS!! I AIN'T OUTSIDE BY THE POOL!!! ITS FOR MY FOOT!!! .... Smh, kids u gotta love em!

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal, funny, healing, laughter, recovery