It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Flat Foot surgery - to Celebrex or not to Celebrex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
    l129
    (female)

l129 HB Userl129 HB Userl129 HB User
    Question Flat Foot surgery - to Celebrex or not to Celebrex

I would love to hear from the folks out there that had flat foot reconstruction surgery or a surgery that involved an osteonomy. I have read several posts and conflicting articles on the internet involving Celebrex (Cox 2 inhibitor).

There are several sites (and the "sticky note" list on this site) that says that taking a Cox-2 inhibitor NSAID such as Celebrex for three days prior to surgery can improve post-op pain control (and that Cox-2 inhibitors do not thin the blood as other NSAIDs do and are usually allowed in the week prior to surgery). In addition, some studies have shown that continuing to take a Cox-2 inhibitor for a week or so after surgery can help prevent surgical adhesions and lessen scarring.

My surgery would be at Mercy Medical in Baltimore. Per a "Welcome booklet" that I was given by the surgical coordinator, in the booklet it says there are pain meds to AVOID. It doesn't say anything about meds PRIOR to surgery but states that if you are undergoing a bone surgery (osteotomy/fusion/arthrodesis) you are NOT allowed to take any nonsteroidal/anti-inflammatory meds FOLLOWING surgery unless otherwise instructed because it inhibits bone formation. The list this given includes Celebrex, ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, etc. The list also includes Vioxx which I believe they pulled from the market years ago.

Did you take Celebrex? Thoughts?
    Cuneiform Osteotomy
    2 bone grafts
    Gastroc Recession
    FDL Tendon Transfer to PTT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
    TamiNicole
    (female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User
    Re: Flat Foot surgery - to Celebrex or not to Celebrex

Don't know about Celebrex specifically but I was forbidden by my OS to take any sort of NSAIDs. If you do any research on bone healing and NSAIDs its pretty well documented that they have an adverse affect on bone healing and growth. (Something to do with the inflammatory reaction being a necessary part of the bone healing process.) So... I would want to make sure the drug has completely cleared my system before going in for surgery.

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Last edited by TamiNicole; 05-06-2013 at 07:53 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to TamiNicole For This Useful Post:
    l129 (05-06-2013)
    Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
    Stylishboots
    (female)

Stylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB User

Like Tami, I was forbidden to take any NSAIDs in the two weeks prior to my surgery through six weeks post-op, because of the adverse effects on bone healing (aside from one daily aspirin for the 6 weeks post-op, for clot avoidance). I'd definitely have a talk about this with your surgeon to weigh the pros and cons.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stylishboots For This Useful Post:
    l129 (05-06-2013)
    Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
    BrandiB73
    (female)

BrandiB73 HB User

I'm glad I read this! I'm 3 weeks from surgery (3 weeks and 2 days...but I'm not anxious) I take Aleve & ibuprofen for pain/swelling.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
    wooconley
    (female)

wooconley HB Userwooconley HB User

My surgery has been scheduled for 4weeks and 2 days from now. I wasn't told anything about not taking NSAIDs before then but I remember all surgeries before now I was told none for at least a week. I'm planning on stopping on my own and taking only Tylenol and Lortab (which has Tylenol). I've got strict instructions for AFTER surgery though. Can't remember the details.

Surgery done June 5 2013
    R partial excision calcaneal,
    Achilles tendon repair,
    FHL fasciotomy,
    AMNIOX

Closed Thread

Tags
    celebrex, foot surgery, nsaid