It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Recovery: PTT/Flat Foot 16 Weeks Post-Op

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Stylishboots
(female)

Stylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB User
Recovery: PTT/Flat Foot 16 Weeks Post-Op

Officially, it's 16 weeks tomorrow, but we'll call it good. ;-)

Since people said these were helpful, I thought I'd share where I'm at 4 months after my PTT/flat foot reconstruction surgery.

My swelling is almost gone - when I take off my ankle compression brace at the end of the day, my ankle is pretty normal-sized (only slightly larger than my right ankle). I'm no longer wearing a knee-high compression stocking, but instead I'm using a short, light compression sleeve for a bit of extra support. I don't always wear it around the house, just outside of home. This was like a switch flipped about a week and a half ago - the big swelling simply stopped.

I completely dropped using a crutch about a week ago, and I'd been using it less and less for about 2 weeks before that. I'm wearing non-lace-up shoes (sandals, even!) about half the time, alternating with the sturdier lace-up shoes. Today, I'm wearing slides, even (no back strap), and did ok on the 2 block walk to the on-campus cafeteria at work and back to my office.

My PT cleared me (FINALLY) for low-impact exercise. I started with a stationary bike, and couldn't be happier to have some activity! He's also suggested walking in the pool at the work fitness center, so I'll try to fit that into my schedule.

I'm able to complete most of my regular household activities now - this weekend, I finally ventured to the basement and did 6 loads of laundry. I can only haul the clothes baskets up 1 flight of stairs, though, before my left leg loses strength, so I need The Husband to carry them the rest of the way to the 2nd floor. I can grocery shop and run short errands, cook, wash dishes, vacuum, & dust. Long shopping trips and things like a day at the museum aren't quite there yet, but I'm getting close. It's another couple of weeks until our local farmer's market opens, so I'm hoping to be ready for that.

I still have a little bit of a limp, more pronounced when I get tired, but when I'm rested I can control it a bit more. I do notice my balance is not as good as it used to be, so I need to work on that (hopefully, back to yoga soon).

I can stand up on one leg to put my pants on, and no longer need much support to get in & out of the bathtub to shower. I can also quickly go up & down on tiptoes, but I can't yet sustain that position.

So, I guess that's about it - if you have any questions about my recovery, I'll be happy to answer them!

The following user gives a hug of support to Stylishboots:
flatfoot nomore (05-22-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Stylishboots For This Useful Post:
l129 (05-25-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
flatfoot nomore
(female)

flatfoot nomore HB Userflatfoot nomore HB Userflatfoot nomore HB User
Re: Recovery: PTT/Flat Foot 16 Weeks Post-Op

I'm right behind you in progress. My PT actually allowed me to go to the gym last Fri and I've been there everyday (Put on about 20# doing nothing for 8 weeks). My foot swelled like crazy last week and it was so weird that after the swelling went down I could walk without a crutch or cane. My walking is weird to but if the place you are going to use the bike has a treadmill do low (2mph) walking on it and watch how your doing it (that whole heel to toe thing). My walking has become a lot better in the last couple of days from doing that.

I have yet to place my feet in anything but my sneakers. I tried on my flats and sandals to see if they fit but was to afraid to walk with them on. Maybe in 2 more weeks

No laundry for me yet (Think I might keep it that way for a bit longer) I have no problems going upstairs but still need to keep both together going down.

Took my first shower standing today to felt good not to sit in that dang chair (Then I realized its warm outside and I need to shave my legs and needed to sit for that)

Keep up the good work I love reading your posts and seeing whats coming up
-Calcaneal osteotomy
-Column Lengthening w/ bone graft
-Achilles Lengthening
-Gastro. recession (Rt. only)

The following user gives a hug of support to flatfoot nomore:
Stylishboots (05-22-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
CBO1996
(female)

CBO1996 HB User

Congratulations! It is so encouraging to read about other people's success with foot surgery! I am only two weeks post op and being able to do chores around the house sounds like heaven. Warped, I know, but I have seen only my bedroom for the past two weeks.

Keep up the great work and happy healing!

The following user gives a hug of support to CBO1996:
Stylishboots (05-22-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Linda V
(female)

Linda V HB User

I am about to have the same surgery in a couple of weeks, so I was so glad to read your update. Most posts scare me to death, but yours certainly gives me lots of hope that it can be a fairly quick (in terms of this surgery) recovery. Thanks so much for the encouraging and informative update. I'm sure you are completely fine now and doing well. Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Linda V:
Stylishboots (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
daffy133
(female)

daffy133 HB Userdaffy133 HB Userdaffy133 HB User

What an encouraging post! I'm 2 weeks post pttd surgery and love to read about this kind of success.

Plus it helps set my expectations to something, ahem, more realistic than I seem to want to accept. Case in point: I tried doing some exercise my first week post op - with bad leg elevated and non-weight bearing - but I must have engaged that calf muscle unintentionally. Ended up hurting my calf and setting myself back considerably. It hurt to even rest my leg in the knee walker. Since then I've practically been confined to my bed with my leg elevated and iced. I barely moved at all until today. I had been doing great prior to that so it was extremely frustrating especially since I did it to myself. My doctor ruled out a blood clot and then sternly warned me against exercise until he sees me for my first follow up appointment.

The pain has subsided quite a bit, but at day 14 post op it is still not as good as day 5 post op! I did manage to do a little house cleaning this morning and was so happy about that. Hate feeling useless. Sweeping, mopping, cleaning the toilet and sink, a little vacuuming. Not the best job of it, but better than when I started. Felt good to be able to use the knee walker without it hurting a lot. I broke it up in segments and elevated my foot in between chores.

I'm trying to remind myself to take it easy now that I'm feeling better. If I want a great recovery like yours, I need to be patient and heal first. It's just so hard to do nothing physical, so these affirmations of the long term payoff really help. Should have read it before my cleaning spree! But luckily, no harm done today.

Best wishes for your continued success and healing!

The following user gives a hug of support to daffy133:
Stylishboots (11-03-2013)
Closed Thread