It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Peeling skin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
    bwoman
    (female)

bwoman HB Userbwoman HB Userbwoman HB User
    Peeling skin

I'm almost 4 weeks our from a forefoot reconstruction with four incisions - along toes 1, 2, 3, and 5. I still have two hammertoe pins that will be removed on June 7 (Thank God...I can't wait!!). The rest of the hardware stays in.

Incisions are healing nicely. I'm walking pretty well in the boot and mostly without crutches. Occasionally trying a shoe for a brief period of time.

Here's my question: My foot still swells (oops...almost left a typo saying "smells" instead of swells!) if I have it down for very long. If it gets pretty swollen and purple, then the next day, a lot of skin peels off - almost like a peeling sunburn. I wash it gently and use a cream (but was told to be careful not to get much lotion around the ends of the toes with the hammertoe pins).

Do others get this skin peeling? Any idea how long it will continue to happen? Any suggestions for preventing it or helping it when it occurs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
    IrishAD
    (female)

IrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB User
    Re: Peeling skin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwoman View Post
    I'm almost 4 weeks our from a forefoot reconstruction with four incisions - along toes 1, 2, 3, and 5. I still have two hammertoe pins that will be removed on June 7 (Thank God...I can't wait!!). The rest of the hardware stays in.

Incisions are healing nicely. I'm walking pretty well in the boot and mostly without crutches. Occasionally trying a shoe for a brief period of time.

Here's my question: My foot still swells (oops...almost left a typo saying "smells" instead of swells!) if I have it down for very long. If it gets pretty swollen and purple, then the next day, a lot of skin peels off - almost like a peeling sunburn. I wash it gently and use a cream (but was told to be careful not to get much lotion around the ends of the toes with the hammertoe pins).

Do others get this skin peeling? Any idea how long it will continue to happen? Any suggestions for preventing it or helping it when it occurs?
    You are going to be swollen for a while. I had a different surgery, but for the first 4 weeks, having my foot down too long would cause it to blow up and turn purple. I would say that went away at about week 5 ish, i know its longer for some. My foot and ankle still get very swollen throughout the day though. I still get peeling skin 12 weeks out. What helped me the most, was using some sugar scrub on the areas that are far away from the incision. I still havent applied anything directly to my incision! My PT has used some lotion, but not me!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-12-2013 at 11:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to IrishAD For This Useful Post:
    bwoman (05-28-2013)
    Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
    Mr Blotto
    (male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User
    Re: Peeling skin

I had foot reconstruction last September (4 incisions, screws, pins, etc), and my foot got purple and swollen whenever I had it done for at least 3-4 months. I too had peeling skin....I felt like a snake molting its skin...eventually it stopped. I would rub my foot during baths to exfoliate once everything was soft from the water. Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    skin peeling, swelling foot