It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 13 weeks post op tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
    krazykitty425
    (female)

krazykitty425 HB User
    Smile 13 weeks post op tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis

I feel I have been getting no help from foot doctor. Hopefully someone here can help. I am 13 weeks post op for tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis surgery. I have recently thrown my back out because I can not walk right. I am walking on part of my incision. It feels like it is going to rip open, burns and this part looks different from the rest of incusion. My doctor is giving me ultrasound therapy on incision but it is not working. I asked to go to physical therapy but he does not believe in it. I am at wits end. Hurts foot to walk and walking makes my back feel better. I am not in any form of a cast. I am walking with sneakers that he recommended. No arch support because that is where incision is located. I am getting very depressed with summer here and I can not enjoy it. I do not see the doctor for 2 more weeks. Any advice or suggestions? I keep getting Vicodin for pain but I am afraid of getting addicted. Cabn not take Advil or anything in that family. Thanks for reading and hoping for some advice soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
    Re: 13 weeks post op tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis

If your not seeing one already, I suggest seeing a board certified foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon. Otherwise I'd probably get a second opinion if you feel your surgeon isn't listening to you or your not getting anywhere.
    (For me) PT isn't always a huge help. But I 100% believe that PT is needed after any kind of orthopedic surgery. Besides different exercises, they can also do ultrasound, icing, heat packs, and even pool/water therapy.
    If you don't want to/can't get a second opinion, could you possibly see your primary care physician and see if they would give you a referral to PT?

I wish you the best
    12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
    krazykitty425
    (female)

krazykitty425 HB User
    Question Re: 13 weeks post op tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis

Erie,
    Thank you for advice. Doctor is board certified. Had ultrasound therapy today for 5 minutes. That is what he considers therapy. Only done twice a week for 2 weeks. The ultrasound therapy is done in his office. He thinks patients are getting it for 15 minutes but he is not there. I had reconstruction surgery on other foot by a different doctor. Should have gone to him but my circumstances were different this time. I have thought of calling him but it would feel weird that i went to someone else. Since surgery was done with scope there is nothing that can be seen without the pictures that were taken. Can not have mri due to implanted device. On top of all of this, primary care doctor has limited hours right niw. She is 8 months pregnant. I am at a loss. I don't know what to do. Have limited support from friends and family. We all know our own bodies. I know this is not right. Have had a lot of surgery in past so i do know what to expect. Any other suggestions from you or anyone reading this?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

When I was in PT, I had ultrasound every time I went, which was 3 times a week. I don't feel like that alone would have helped my recovery. Though, I did notice that if we skipped a day, I definitely felt like I needed it.

Are the circumstances different, that you could still call your old OS? If you trust him, and you had good results with the other foot, I'd call the office and get an appointment. You might be a little embarrassed going to him after having someone else do the surgery, but you could explain why you chose someone else, if you feel you need to.

You are so right. We all know our bodies better than anyone else. And if you know something is still wrong, I would pursue it. Why should we constantly live in pain? I've had surgery on my right ankle twice now. The first surgery 10 years ago was a breeze. After this last surgery, 6 months later I still know it's not right. We fixed my torn ligaments and my ankle won't give out on me anymore, but the surgery has caused really bad tendonitis. It's my foot, and I have to be on it all day at work. No one else lives in my "shoes" so I feel like I need to search for the best answers out there.
    12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
    PesCav
    Veteran
    (female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Another PT advocate here, but not a huge believer in the sonogram therapy. My therapist used it a few times, but I personally think all of the work she did messaging and stretching my foot was most impactful, followed by balance and gait work. Pay for PT out of pocket if you have to, you need to get moving.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
    papa18
    (male)

papa18 HB User

How are you coming along?

Closed Thread

Tags
    foot, incision, post-op, surgery