It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Calcaneus fracture - cracking noises during nwb movement/pt

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
    Mokumer
    (male)

Mokumer HB User
    Calcaneus fracture - cracking noises during nwb movement/pt

Hi everyone, I fractured my calcaneus into multiple pieces on may 13 and was subsequently operated on it on may 24 where it was put together with 3 screws. Thereafter I was in a cast until yesterday and the surgeon told me to perform nwb movements to increase flexibility and ROM, and to stretch by pulling on the foot using a towel. Formally PT will begin 4 weeks from now...

1. I have since started spelling the alphabet in the air with my foot and heard cracking noises. Not many, really one louder noise every once in a while almost as if internal scanning is breaking/cracking. Is this normal?

2. I just got back from the doc yesterday and have not yet had the chance to get the elastic towel to stretch my foot (into a right angle). Therefore I started stretching by using my hands to gently push my foot back, pain allowing (although I do apply a bit of pressure, as when stretching prior to running etc.). When doing so I heard a crack also and felt some pain. Is this normal? Is there any chance that I may have fudged something up? I have been uber careful so far and would hate to screw up. Also doc said that ankle with the screws in it could take a bit of a "bump" so suspect its ok, but wondered if anyone has experience with this?

I realize I may be overly paranoid, but have read such mixed feedback regarding heel breaks that I want t make sure i didn't mess my recovery up and would appreciate any experience or insights. Plan on asking the doctors the same tomorrow if possible, but hope someone can help me here.

Last edited by Mokumer; 06-13-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
    Re: Calcaneus fracture - cracking noises during nwb movement/pt

I really don't remember. Lots of weird stuff back then. PT is extremely important. Needs to be done alot.

Problem with pain, is another person doesn't know if you are just sensitive to pain, or there is an issue. Either way, you are going to have a bit of pain during the recovery, and it will go up with use.

Obviously if there is alot of pain, you can't do. But I also think lots of people hold themselves back too.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
    Mokumer
    (male)

Mokumer HB User

Thanks Zerk! Fully understand that pain is really relative and therefore the gauge of whether something is ok can be really difficult. That being said I can take pain fairly well and the pain was like a jab/pop that went away quite quickly.

Are at least the cracking noises typical during PT? Am trying to figure out whether the cracking noises should be a cause for concern?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

You do get weird pops and pain, but not often. I think the cracking news, is not unusual though.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
    ghn999
    (male)

ghn999 HB User

Hey Zerk. How long did it take for your heel to heal. I broke my calcaneus heel on March 26, 2013 in Las Vegas. It was a freaking head on collision. I am now walking now but in alot of pain walking. It suck, but i want to now how long is the healing process? Just wondering.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
    IrishAD
    (female)

IrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB User

I had a completely different surgery, but my ankle cracked alot in PT, she told me it was normal, sometimes is could be the scar tissue breaking up.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghn999 View Post
    Hey Zerk. How long did it take for your heel to heal. I broke my calcaneus heel on March 26, 2013 in Las Vegas. It was a freaking head on collision. I am now walking now but in alot of pain walking. It suck, but i want to now how long is the healing process? Just wondering.
    I too was in a head on collision. My foot was the least of it at the time, but the worst of it now.

Around 4-5 months I was doing stuff, using a cane, maybe a walker at times.

Around 10 months I was back to my normal life, pain was getting better. This is a life changing event. I do everything I want to do, but there is moderation, and pain with use.

They say healing process is around 12-18 months to get as good as you will get. Maybe some small gains after that, as you get stronger. Around 8-10 months I had a good idea what was what. ROM didn't get better after that, but pain did.

PT is very important you need to do it every day, not just at the visit. i was doign ROM stuff around 6 weeks, and lots more once I was weight bearing at 12. Some folks do partial at 9. But I broke the leg on the other side.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
    ghn999
    (male)

ghn999 HB User

Thanks for the info Zerks. How did you pay for your bills? I was thinking of canceling physical therapy because it suck. I am tired of going there twice a week. I think I can just do physical therapy at the house. LOL. Did you get anything for the head on collision. I am waiting on my settlement on my accident. Hopefully I get enough to cover my life.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I got very little from the insurance company, most if it went to medical bills, and the other person didn't have alot of insurance. Your under/un insured motorist coverage should be more.

Unless you got hit by a big company with lots of insurance, you are probably not going to get a lot. I was hoping to get enough to atleast pay my house off, so I could fall back on that. Nope.

Mine was work comp so that helped. As for PT, if you can't afford it, you should cut back and maybe go once every other week. You have to do the stuff at home not just the visit. But you will need new exercises and someone to gauge your progress.

But I wouldn't quit PT cause you are tired of going. If you want to recover from this, that is not the mindset to have. This is a long recovery. Some people make it and some don't. The severity varies, but I think it is the effort they put into it. You are going to have to suck it up. Yes there will be some pain.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
    ghn999
    (male)

ghn999 HB User

Hey Zerk. Thank again for the great info. Your right I shouldn't give up. I wish this never happen but I have to deal with it. The person that hit me died and he is from a wealthy person. I hope I get something out of it. Are you walking with a limp? What about sports. Can you play anything without getting hurt?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The person who hit me died, they were not from a wealth family, and I wasn't going to go after them. Most people don't have alot of assets other then there home and retirement, which a court is not going to give you.

I limp sometimes, when sore. If I don't pay attention when tired. To be honest I don't really care. I don't care what people think.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Sports are not likely, atleast for me. Quick moving activities don't go well. There was someone here who jogged.

The injury varies from person to person. it can be tough for some people to get back to work, and some do fine. Really depends on how well they recovered and the job. I have long days on concrete and gravel, which is bad, but I can sit a bit. If you have a job where you stand all day, or lots of ladder work, IMO it is doubtful. But some people can.

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneus (heel bone) fractures, cracking joints, physiotherapy