It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Strategies for Dealing With Pain After Calcaneal Osteotomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
    labradormoma
    (female)

labradormoma HB Userlabradormoma HB Userlabradormoma HB User
    Strategies for Dealing With Pain After Calcaneal Osteotomy

Other than ice, elevation, and pain pills, what tips do you have to reduce pain in the heel? It feels like every wasp on the planet has its stinger in the back of my heel.

Other than when the ice has made the area numb, it hurts. Right now I took a pain pill 2.5 hours ago and it is still hurting (actually there are periods between pain pills when it seems OK, but I think it is the ice helping). I have kept ice on the back of the knee, or right on the cast (with protection from moisture) almost continuously, with 3 or 4 stretches of several hours off over the past 2 weeks.

It seems to burn a lot worse when the pain pills are wearing off, usually about 4.5 hours after I take them. Right now I am taking one 10 mg. Norco and am 13 days post-op.

It seems worse now than a few days ago. I don't have a fever so I don't think it is an infection.

Is there any way when you elevate to keep the heel from being pressured? Somehow to sleep on your stomach with the cast hanging off the end of the bed? It is in a cast but there is still pressure on it.

The stitches stay in until Wednesday. Does it get a lot better after the stitches are out?

The soft tissue work is not giving me problems (yay!)

The first or second night, I did accidentally put a little weight on it when I got off balance in the middle of the night when going to the toilet, but I don't think it was enough to cause problems. My foot let me know that I had made a mistake!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
    RuthS
    (female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User
    Re: Strategies for Dealing With Pain After Calcaneal Osteotomy

I had to alternaet laying my casted foot on the inside and outside.
    Elevate realllly high. As someone else said, toes above the nose. I would use 3 or 4 pillows as needed. The higher the better it was.

The Following User Says Thank You to RuthS For This Useful Post:
    labradormoma (06-17-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, heel pain