It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Hindfoot Varus... calcaneal osteotomy???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
    mr774
    (male)

mr774 HB User
    Hindfoot Varus... calcaneal osteotomy???

hey guys,

Great forum here, learnt heaps reading through previous threads. I'm hoping to get some advice on my condition. I have hindfoot varus, and that along with high arches causes my feet to roll slightly over and therefore strains my peroneal tendons. Its worse in my left foot. Im 29 years old and I never had any problems with my feet until about 3 years ago. I would get terrible pains down the outside of my feet and ankles and could hardly walk. After doing some scans it confirmed that I had really bad tendonitis in the peroneals (and some other tendons) and that I had hindfoot varus. I saw a surgeon and he said that the mal-aligned calcaneus was causing the tendonitis and he recommend a lateralizing Calcaneal osteotomy along with some other soft tissue work (Peroneal longus to brevis transfer I think). He said that the operation is fairly straight forward, but the recovery time was long. That I would need 4 weeks NWB, 4 PWB and then progress to FWB. At the time I couldn't believe I would need such drastic measures to be taken to correct this problem. Wanting to avoid this at all costs, over the past 2 years I have been stretching and strengthening my leg muscles, avoiding things that flare up the peroneals and have been seeing a podiatrist regularly. I've always had orthotics due to my high arches, but once I found out I had this problem we have been trying to combat the rolling of the foot by placing wedges on the outside of my orthotics. It sort of works, I don't get the terrible tendonitis that I used to, but I can feel that they are overused and I get lots of different aches in my foot and knees from the wedges. Sometimes I get good days, but most of the time there is always some pain going on somewhere and occasionally I get terrible pains.

This brings me to now. I just don't know if I should do the operation. At the moment I can walk and work which is the most important thing, but I never seem to be able to last days without pain and I avoid aerobic activity as I don't want to risk a flare up. I don't know if I should do the operation before my wife and I have kids, but at the same time its not the best time to do it this year as I don't have heaps of sick leave and I am due to get trained in a new area at work and I really want it. Plus Im worried that if I have this operation it could make things worse somehow?

I know everyone experiences are different so I would love to hear everyone's opinions. When do you think that I could return to work? How long before I'm up and about? Would 8 weeks be too early? Do you think I shouldn't consider surgery since I'm walking and working and just put up with the minor-mid pain? Im also worried that in the long term, I could develop Arthritis or get a stress fracture from the rolling of my foot. Has anyone got my particular condition and give me some advice? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
    mart9740
    (female)

mart9740 HB User
    Re: Hindfoot Varus... calcaneal osteotomy???

I am going through something similar right now. I went to my podiatrist a few months ago and found out I too was developing tendinitis. He explained to me about the three tendons on the outside of the ankle that are supposed to keep the ankle from rolling out, and eventually dislocating. One of my tendons tore over a decade ago, and my podiatrist also told me I would have to have surgery, but he wouldn't do it until the second tendon tears. Instead, he gave me orthotics to wear that push my feet into the neutral position, and a brace to help stabilize the wear of my ankles while hiking or playing sports for extra support. I am still ironing things out - my feet are almost pain-free while wearing my orthotics, but around the house I can still feel pain in my peroneals. If you are hesitant about surgery, you may ask about orthotics.

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, peroneal tendonits, varus