It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• My Lisfranc Timeline

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
    AtlantaLisfranc
    (male)

AtlantaLisfranc HB User
    My Lisfranc Timeline

I read a lot on internet when I first heard I had Lisfranc injury and learned a lot. So here is my timeline to help those of you in the same spot.

1 month: That's how long it took me from the time of injury until I had the operation. From getting an initial visit with a doctor, an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon , get an appointment for an MRI, get an appointment for the orthopedic surgeon to review my MRI, get an appointment to see a second opinion orthopedic surgeon that was more recommended, and then to schedule the surgery. Get the surgery as soon as you can, the longer you wait the less they can do. I walked around on crutches and had a hard boot around my foot for that month prior to surgery. I was not to put any pressure on it at all.

2 days before surgery: I had to stop working and sit at home and start elevating my foot above my heart so the swelling could go down before the surgery. Get used to this position. Itís how you are going to be for a while. Set up a table next to you with everything you could need. I put sheets on a couch and pillows on the end of the side arms of the couch. I ran extension cords to the table so I can charge things, have a lamp, and use my computer on my lap.

Surgery day: I couldnít eat or drink anything for 12 hours before surgery. Arrived at the Dr Office at 7 AM for a 9:30 AM surgery. They take you back and shave around your foot, give you some anti-nausea medication and put you to sleep. Next thing you know you wake up all dizzy and the surgery was done. Nothing to it. They numbed me down from the knee down so I felt no pain. I left the surgery location by noon. The wheeled me out in a wheelchair where my ride picked me up curbside. You will need to bring someone that is there the whole time. When I got home I was able to walk on my crutches with no problem. Then the laying on the couch continues with your foot above your heart/head.
    The foot is wrapped up with all kinds of gauze and wrapping that you canít remove and is rather bulky. You canít get it wet so you should have already purchased or made something to enclose your leg for when you shower. Make sure you have a chair to sit on in the shower ahead of time as well.
    You will pretty much be laying down for the next few days. When you stand up and lower the foot below your heart it will swell up and start to hurt. I was told to take my pain meds the night of the surgery so you are prepared for when your leg is no longer numb. You also need to take anti-nausea meds since the pain meds can make you feel ill. I didnít think the pain was all that bad as long as you kept it elevated. I had the surgery on Thursday and stopped taking the pain meds by Sunday. I stopped partially because I felt really loopy, disoriented and sick Saturday night from taking the pain pills and it was not a good experience. I felt it wasnít worth taking them anymore if I could stand a little pain. Iím not sure if I accidently took a double dose because I hadnít had that side effect before. Anyway, by Sunday pain was good enough just for regular over the counter pain relievers. Although those first few days when you lower your foot it will hurt like a SOB once your leg is no longer numb from the surgery.
    If you are by yourself be sure to have things you can make to eat quickly. You will not want to stand and cook anything for any length of time. Get this all prepared before the surgery such as meds, food, plastic bag for your foot, shower chair, aspirin, magazines etc. One other helpful hint is to have a cup with a lid if you have to transport liquids from your fridge to your couch using crutches. I also put a bench in my closet to sit down on when I get dressed. Donít attempt to drive or do anything important for those days. You think you are fine but the pain pills will make things not quite right.

4 days after surgery: I can do my work from home on a computer so I put my computer on my lap and started working again. I wouldnít have done it if I was still on the pain pills. I was still productive and kept my foot elevated. Slowly over the next week the pain will get a little less each day but you must still keep it elevated whenever you can.

10 days after surgery: The gauze and wrapping is removed and viewed my foot for the first time. It was super swollen and I had one large scar on top of my foot and 2 smaller ones on the side where the screws when in. At this time they removed the stiches and just put some large Band-Aids over the scars since the still need to heal.
    At this point you can now get it wet and shower which is wonderful. You will still want to sit in the shower and getting dressed for some time to come. At this point they put the hard boot on that foot and I was still to use crutches for a long time to come. You donít have to elevate it all day but you will still want to as much as you can.

18 days after the surgery: I started going back into the office using crutches and I just propped my foot up on a chair next to me. No real pain except the pain of a swollen foot. Still in the boot.

5 Weeks after surgery: I took the family on a vacation to Disney World. Donít let this injury stop your life. Adapt. I rented a scooter and we had a great time. The injury allowed us to use the fast pass lane for the disabled and everything there is handicap accessible.

6 Weeks after surgery: I started weight bearing on the foot with the help of 2 crutches. OUCH. Start by only putting the slightest amount of weight on it and add more as the week goes on. It feels like walking barefoot and stepping on a Lego that is on FIRE . Itís painful but you will be happy to be at this point. Endure the pain, you need to do it to get better. I am still wearing the boot at this point but I can take it off when Iím not walking on it. It gets better the more you do it and is pretty good after one week.

8 Weeks after surgery: Drop one crutch and only use one crutch while putting weight on the foot. Put crutch on the opposite arm pit of the injured foot so the weight is on the other side. Just like the previous week it hurts a lot on the first day but gets much better within a week. Endure the pain and force yourself to walk on it so it can get used to walking again.

10 weeks after surgery: Drop the last crutch. Only walking in the boot now. Freedom from crutches! It will feel like the greatest day ever. For me it was 4 months on crutches since the initial injury. The simple pleasure of being able to carry something with 2 hands is awesome.

14 weeks after surgery: I had another surgery to remove the screws from my foot. Again, early morning surgery, they put me under and I walked out by noon. You could use crutches for a couple days but I was walking in the boot with no crutches by the next day. Had to keep it dry again for another 10 day.

15 weeks after surgery: NO MORE BOOT! Free to walk again. Get a good sturdy pair of tennis shoes with cushion. Donít go cheap. I could walk again but with a pretty severe limp. You will be walking very very slow and it will hurt. People from the nursing home might tell you to move out the way so they can pass you but you wonít care. You can walk again. You canít stand on your feet very long, they will swell up and get tired quickly. You canít walk on them very long but you need to force yourself to do it so it can get better. Your limp gets better week by week. If you judge yourself day by day you will get discouraged, but if you think if you improved from 1 week ago or 2 weeks ago you will say ďYES, I did improveĒ.

20 Weeks after surgery: I had my last appointment with the surgeon today. Keep on wearing tennis shoes with support, probably no sandals for a while and force yourself to go on walks and increase your range as your foot starts to get back into place. Recovery is slow and seems like a lifetime but it does get better and keep your chin up. Iím a runner and he says that I still have about 3 more months until I get to that point. Right now I am going to the gym daily and riding the exercise bike for a half hour and the elliptical for 10 minutes. I also walk my dog for about a mile each night. I still have a little limp but I need to force myself not to do it. A lot of it is mental. That is where I am today when I write this.
    If you are starting the process the big tip I have is to try and do leg lifts and bicycle kicks, and rotate your foot in a circle or spell the alphabet with it every day if you can. I didnít do much and I gained a ton of weight and got a blood clot in the leg from being immobile.
    Donít let this keep you from living your life. I took pride in what I could do on my own and found ways to do it. Also get a handicap card for your car, it come in really handy. Just ask your doctor.

Get the best doctor you can. Ask around you will be amazed how many people have had foot surgery. Although if the best doctor has a 3 month wait find someone else and donít just use the first guy you see. This is too important for just anyone.
    My doctor was not a firm believer of physical therapy and people yanking and pulling on the foot too early. Thatís his opinion and itís working out fine for me. There are some posts on the internet of things you can do on your own that are helpful.
    Everyoneís case is different so donít compare yourself to this story. Level of injuries, age, health etc will make a difference. This is just my story to educate those that have no idea of what could be ahead for them.

Keep your chin up and good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
    AtlantaLisfranc
    (male)

AtlantaLisfranc HB User
    Re: My Lisfranc Timeline

6 Month Update:

I can walk without a limp but have some problems going down stairs and uneven surfaces. Still can't jog or run. I can do the Elliptical with no problem for an hour. It's the using the toes and front of the foot from jogging that stops me. Exercise bike is fine as well with no issues. Between walking, ellipitcal, and exercise bike I can still keep fit but I am still a ways away from jogging which is hard since I am a runner. I think I have full motion back but pressure from landing on the toes and front of the foot is still painful. Last month the DR said it not be until the 8th month that I might be jogging again but I am hopeful it will be before then.
    My foot is also very very stiff in the morning for the first dozen steps but then loosens up and I don't feel anything. Same thing can happen from just sitting in my office chair for a while or a long car ride.
    I have transitioned to my hard work shoes rather than tennis shoes and can wear sandles again. Barefoot is ok for a little ways but still sometimes sensitive.
    I still have done zero physical therapy and I seem to be progressing pretty good.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
    AtlantaLisfranc
    (male)

AtlantaLisfranc HB User

7 month update - Foot is still very stiff after a long period of not moving it. Trying to jog but with a sever limp due to pain but happy to start trying.

8 - Month update - Since I started to jog my foot has gotten better each week. As of today there is little pain with jogging flat roads. Uphill is a little struggle and I have a limp. I'm jogging 6 miles a day now. After about 2 week after of starting to jog something happened where all of a sudden it felt better. Perhaps since I didn't do physical theropy this was what I needed to loosen it up and break scar tissue. Not sure but there has been improvements week after week.
    I can't "Run" as in sprint but I can jog slowly. I picked up marathon running a few years ago so being able to start jogging is great. I feel as though I have turned the corner. Up angles or foot at a slant to the side is still not 100% jogging but no problem when walking. I'm wearing sandels but I'm still leary when I walk barefoot but after a lisfranc injury and months of no weight bearing it's expected to be leary of every step you take. A lot of it is mental and I need to train myself to trust my feet again.
    So in short, this update, I started limp jogging at 7 months and can slowly jog with little to no limp at 8 months. I just need to build up some leg strength since a lot of muscle was lost in the previous 8 months despite using other exersise equipment.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
    patish6
    (female)

patish6 HB User

I know no pt. But my pt just showed me how to do stairs. That was helpful. When going down have uninjured foot go first toe first. It decreases the rom and pain and also making you work through it properly without "cheating". And do you do toe and heel lifts? You can do sitting and standing. Tbh ive done pt and no pt and I much prefer pt. My learning curve is so much faster. I had no pt after breaking my talus and nwb for 6 weeks. That was agony. I would have much less pain if id done pt. Btw im not judging you but if youre a runner I could see pt that does athletes to be helpful. They help you figure out what muscles to work and strengthen to increase rom and decrease pain.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
    AtlantaLisfranc
    (male)

AtlantaLisfranc HB User

It’s now been 1 year since my Lisfranc operation and 13 months since the injury.
    Even at 11 months I had some pain in my foot like a bone was out of place and it almost felt like I had a rock in my shoe. Sometimes I thought I could feel it moving around and fall into place.
    Now at 1 year it feels pretty good. Walking has no pain with shoes on during the day. Sometime a little tender barefoot on a hard surface but nothing major.
    I started marathon training and have run over 300 miles in the past 2 months. For the most part I don’t feel any pain while running. Perhaps a little swollen after a long run. It’s still stiff and sometimes gives me pain if I sit around behind a desk at work and don’t move it around after a run. But I can’t complain. Pain might just be from running so much again and trying to get back into shape. I lost all leg strength and conditioning during this process and I am literally running a Ĺ speed I was before the surgery. I am going to run a marathon in 1 month and I think it will be OK. Stay strong if you are starting this process and just know that it does get better and it will take a lot of patience. Good luck to you all.

Closed Thread

Tags
    lisfranc, lisfranc frature, lisfranc injury, lisfranc surgery