It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• nonvisualized ATFL on mri

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
    odettaclarice
    (female)

odettaclarice HB User
    Question nonvisualized ATFL on mri

Hello,
    I'm writing because I have an ankle/foot injury from a dance class and am having a really difficult time getting my situation properly diagnosed. I got an MRI back showing moderately intense bone marrow edema in the posterior talus, but no fractures or osteochondral fragments. Deltoid ligament mildly sprained, then it says CF and ptf ligaments are intact, but ATFL "nonvisualization laterally." My doctor says, that doesn't mean anything. ??? I highly doubt that. The injury happened when I was doing a jumping combination in a dance class and got kicked hard as I was coming down, and I fell (badly) as there was a person blocking my path to the floor. I'm going on 4 weeks now, not so swollen, but my PT seems a bit mis-guided only because I have no proper and complete diagnosis/prognosis.

what does nonvisualized, not identified, possibly mean? I definitely went over the outside of my foot, no doubt.

thank you!
    Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
    Newleftside
    (female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User
    Re: nonvisualized ATFL on mri

I believe that means that the individual radiologist reading the the images was unable to see the ATFL laterally. This could be because swelling, infusion or other objects were blocking the view of that ligament, or it could be that the images themselves were just not clear enough, but whatever the reason the reader was unable to see the ATFL in the lateral view.

Surgery 3/13-Left ankle, Modified Brostrom-Gould
    Arthroscopic debridement, Synovectomy.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
    Re: nonvisualized ATFL on mri

I agree with NewLeftSide. I've had 2 reconstructive ankle surgeries and on my first one my CF was poorly visualized. Now that said, there are different reasons that it isn't visualized. Could be the angle, swelling, etc. Could also mean a significant tear. My reason was my CF was completely torn. Not saying that's the case for you. Your doctor should know what to do and will probably obtain another MRI should your symptoms persist in the weeks to come depending on his or her protocol. As far as your PT, your doctor should have given him/her your diagnosis for the time being at least enough to strengthen the ankle. Lateral ankle sprains are by in large rehabbed quite similarly. A red flag something more may be going on is when PT is over and you're not any better. I do find it interesting that you went over on the outside of your foot, but you have a mildly sprained deltoid ligament which is the ligament on the inside of the ankle. You said you were kicked and fell badly. Do you remember being kicked on the inside of your ankle or twisting it inwards too? Also what kind of doctor are you seeing? If not already, best kind of MD to see if an orthopedic surgeon board certified specialized in foot/ankle. Believe me, there's a difference. My first surgery was by a general ortho and my 2nd (which was less than 18 months ago) was by a foot/ankle ortho. The difference was night and day. Good luck and keep us up to date!

Closed Thread

Tags
    ankle, atfl, mri report interpretation, sprained ankle.