It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Replacement vs. Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
    LadyKanner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
    Ankle Replacement vs. Fusion

Have any of you ever had a fusion that led to an ankle replacement? I am looking into getting a second opinion soon and want to see some of your feedback. I have had two fusions. The first one was broken by a student during physical therapy. I had it re-done in January of this year and have had nothing but pain since. I cannot even go grocery shopping without being in significant pain. I have even gone so far as to looking into clinical trials for ankle replacements. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
    LASassy (10-15-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
    jh745 (10-15-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
    bshorter30
    (female)

bshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB User
    Re: Ankle Replacement vs. Fusion

I have had neither but from what I have read it can be done. I'm only 32 and need an ankle replacement. I have put it on hold due to neck surgery. Good luck Hun!

Ankle replacement to come soon

Old 10-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
    suffering feet
    (female)

suffering feet HB User

Hi,
    I had a triple in January as well and have been in worse pain than before surgery. Sounds like you are going through something similar to me. Just wondering, if you don't mind sharing what is your surgeon saying about all the pain you are experiencing? Mine feels like the bone work is done and so is his part in my healthcare. Is your doctor recommending a ankle replacement? Hope you don't mind all the questions I just don't seem to hear much about people like us that seem to be the unlucky ones. I really am happy for you all that have had success, it is not an easy surgery or recovery to go through....

Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
    LadyKanner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I don't mind the questions at all. My surgeon is concerned about the pain I am having. I had me back in the boot and on steroids a few weeks ago but i had a reaction to the steroids. After the boot, he wanted me back in shoes but wearing orthotics. He thinks the reason I am having issues is because I am walking wrong to compensate for the pain I am receiving from the screw that protrudes out of the back of my heel and rubs the achilles tendon. In turn I am limping and putting pressure on the only joint that I did not have fused. The doctor has not said anything about ankle replacement but at this point I cannot see any other options that are going to make this any better. I found a clinical trial online by a surgeon at Duke university that performed both of my moms knee replacements. I would have to lose some weight to be considered but I am seriously considering it.
    January 2013
    Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
    Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
    Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
    Mr Blotto (11-02-2013)
    Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
    seventh sister
    (female)

seventh sister HB User
    Unhappy Re: Ankle Replacement vs. Fusion

I just had two opinions from two different Dr.s they are both suggesting ankle fusion because I have no cartilage in my ankle and the bones are healed wrong. . I had two ankle surgerys after a severe break. The fist was an Emergency surgery,June 10, 2013 to repair it and the second was to remove the syndesmotic screw that was supposed to help it heal inside.
    I dont have insurance either so its been a long road to try to get someone to help me.

Im worried about the outcome of the fusion, I am not looking forward to the recovery. I have been going through this since June 2013. I just want to walk again dang it. Did you ever have any relief from the fusion?

Im sorry to hear what you are going through! I know its hard being the one that doesnt have a typical outcome!

Closed Thread

Tags
    ankle replacement, fusion