It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Nine Months Post-Op PTTD (just a little overdue)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
    Stylishboots
    (female)

Stylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB User
    Nine Months Post-Op PTTD (just a little overdue)

Hi everyone - just stopping by to give a short update on where I'm at, 9.5 months post-op.

Earlier this month, I flew for the first time since surgery (not because I was avoiding it, just because it was my first opportunity). I wore compression on my ankle and that helped keep swelling down. I had a week-long vacation that averaged 15,000 steps (roughly 7 miles in my stride) per day over the course of the week, which my foot handled pretty well. I took ice bags along and used elevation and ice every evening before bed, which helped manage any aching or swelling that cropped up. My biggest challenge was not the walking, it was any sort of long-term standing on concrete surfaces with no support (nothing to lean against). If not for that, the achiness probably would have been less.

In normal day-to-day activity, I can tell that my strength continues to improve and the swelling in my heel is less than it was even a month ago (it's not really visible, but if I push on the heel, it feels squishy inside, if that makes sense). I do wonder if my calf muscle will ever match the non-surgical side again - I don't feel self-conscious about it or anything, but now that we're in tall boot-wearing season, the difference between them is VERY clear to me!

As for shoes, I'm currently wearing flat-to-1"-heel boots, oxfords, and I've found a couple pairs of sturdy (and insanely expensive) flats that accommodate my orthotics and provide good support. I've worn heels (2.5") only once, and my ankle tired very quickly, so I haven't tried again.

Long story short: at 9.5 months post-op, there's no longer much accommodation I need to make for The Foot. The one "normal life" thing I've avoided is mowing the lawn (uneven terrain is still a bit tough), and really, I'm ok with not doing that. ;-) Up next: attempting to get back into doing yoga. I'm not sure how the barefoot thing will work out, but I miss it and need the activity. Fingers crossed!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Stylishboots
    mnags (10-26-2013),vikkio (11-03-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
    LASassy
    (female)

LASassy HB UserLASassy HB User
    Re: Nine Months Post-Op PTTD (just a little overdue)

Congratulations on your progress! I am 18 months out from flatfoot reconstruction and, like you, unable to stand still for very long and have problems with uneven terrain. I even got stopped by a policeman who saw me walking over broken concrete to my car. He thought I was a potential DWI. Couldn't walk heel to toe either, but he let me go after I showed him my scars. True story.) Anyway, what brand flats did you get? I am so tired of oxfords and sneakers.

The following user gives a hug of support to LASassy:
    Stylishboots (10-23-2013)
    Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
    Stylishboots
    (female)

Stylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB User

Hi LASassy! OMG, I always hope no one's watching me cross the lawn in front of our house, with the way I wobble as I go. Too funny. I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has trouble with just standing, though I'm sorry you do!

The flats I've been wearing are Dansko and Orthaheel - oddly, both styles are named Olivia. I also have a pair of Mary Janes from Taos, style name Stepstone, and a very casual/sporty pair from Ahnu, style name Gracie. Hope that helps!

Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
    punkin77
    (female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User

Do you have a sensation of having a rock in your shoe under your heel? I have so much trouble with my heel still at 8 months. Can't walk barefoot, walking on the outside of my foot in shoes, which I can tell from the wear pattern. Going for second opinion on the 31st because my surgeon has no idea what is wrong. I will ask about the scres, bone non union or spur, reaction to nickel in the screw, plantar fasciitis, or something else? Wish I knew.

The following user gives a hug of support to punkin77:
    Stylishboots (10-24-2013)
    Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
    Stylishboots
    (female)

I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble, punkin77 - my heel doesn't seem to have any issues, aside from the last bit of swelling & the ongoing lack of skin sensation on the bottom surface. When I have any pain, it's general aching from swelling. I was told not to spend much time barefoot, but I'm completely fine to shower or walk short distances (bedroom to bathroom, for example) without any shoes. My around-the-house shoes are a pair of Spenco flip flops (they have built-in arch support). I hope you find an answer & some relief!

The following user gives a hug of support to Stylishboots:
    patish6 (10-30-2013)
    Old 10-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
    l129
    (female)

l129 HB Userl129 HB Userl129 HB User

Hey Stylishboots! So glad to see your post. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the progress - always good to hear. I always liked reading your posts when I was preparing for my surgery and like to see your progress now that I am 5 months behind you with surgery.

I am 4 months post op now. Things are really going well overall.

I was freaking out a little recently over my PTT area feeling a little sore, esp since I only thought my PTT was a pain level of 6 of 10 when I had surgery and it was ruptured (thus my FDL tendon transfer)- so any pain or soreness there post op really worries me. I went to a podiatrist on Friday and it was suggested that I may want to get Sigvaris compression socks. I don't like the tightness on my feet but found that compression just from the ankle to the top of the calf really does help. I find that when I stand for a while (even 10-15 minutes) it bothers me more than walking.

Did you wear a compression calf sleeve or socks earlier on? Did you have any tenderness/soreness with the PTT area? I think the compression sleeve may be the answer for me.

Thanks so much for the info on the shoes. I have sneakers for most of the time but also can now sometimes wear Dansko Edda (a Mary Jane style).

Keep up the good work - thanks for keeping us posted!
    Cuneiform Osteotomy
    2 bone grafts
    Gastroc Recession
    FDL Tendon Transfer to PTT

The following user gives a hug of support to l129:
    Stylishboots (10-31-2013)
    Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
    Stylishboots
    (female)

Hey there! Glad to hear you're doing well post-op as well. I did wear a compression stocking, starting immediately upon getting rid of the boot, graduated to a short compression sleeve (Zensah) after about 8 weeks, then wore that for another 8 weeks or so. I sit all day at work, in a cube where keeping my foot elevated was not easy, so it helped keep some of swelling down. I've worn it intermittently since then, but keep one of the Zensah sleeves in my purse, just in case.

I do get occasional soreness in the same spot in my PTT where the tear was (and usually freak out a bit), but as long as it eases with rest, I don't get too concerned.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stylishboots For This Useful Post:
    l129 (10-31-2013)
    Old 10-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
    l129
    (female)

l129 HB Userl129 HB Userl129 HB User
    Cool Re: Nine Months Post-Op PTTD (just a little overdue)

Thanks for the reply. I just recently ordered the Zensah shin/calf compression sleeve and also got one from Tommie Copper - can't wait to try them. So cool that they come in colors - so I got mine in pink! In the interim, I continue to wear the piece of compression stocking that I got from the podiatrist and it is feeling much better.

Best of luck to you for continued healing success!
    Cuneiform Osteotomy
    2 bone grafts
    Gastroc Recession
    FDL Tendon Transfer to PTT

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: l129
    Dancing Cat (11-13-2013),Stylishboots (10-31-2013)
    Closed Thread