It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Upcoming Peroneal Tendon surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
    Redhead54
    (female)

Redhead54 HB User
    Unhappy Upcoming Peroneal Tendon surgery

Hi. I'm new to healthboards

In short, MRI in September revealed I've torn both tendons in the right foot as well as having a partial tear in the anterior talofibular ligament (all damage done, I think, when I tripped over a shoe back in April). Having surgery to repair the tendons in a little over a month and just looking for info from someone who's had similar surgery as to what to expect post-surgery re: managing pain. Surgeon says I'll be in a splint for 2 weeks, followed by 4 weeks in a cast or boot and then will start PT at about 6 weeks. First six weeks will be totally non-weight bearing (I have a feeling that will be challenging).

Last edited by Administrator; 01-21-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
    LASassy
    (female)

LASassy HB UserLASassy HB User
    Re: Upcoming Peroneal Tendon surgery

Hey, Red. I didn't have your particular surgery, but had the same recovery protocol. Assuming you will be non weight bearing (NWB) during the splint and cast days, those days WILL be quite a challenge. Go to this link for the "stickies" on the recovery topic. Lots of useful info there. http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/
    It definitely pays to be prepared. It seems like forever at the time, but....

The following user gives a hug of support to LASassy:
    Redhead54 (11-19-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to LASassy For This Useful Post:
    Redhead54 (11-01-2013)
    Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
    ibabug
    (female)

ibabug HB Useribabug HB User

Hi!
    Just had similar surgery two weeks ago. Recovery sounds the same. Had temporary cast switched to fiberglass today. Stitches will still be another week. Just make sure you have lots of support! I am going to try going back to work tomorrow. I am pretty weak still and have a desk job. Mine is my rt foot as well sigh..... No driving. Everything takes an effort, requires tons of patience and lots of durable medical equipment!! Just yell with questions, ask now so you are prepared. 😜

Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
    BuzzKutt
    (male)

BuzzKutt HB User

Right tnkle Arthroscopy
    Lateralizing Calcaneal Osteotomy
    1st Metatarsal Closing Wedge
    Peroneous longus,and brevus repair
    As you see you will have some of the procedures I had. Do you have a high in step? I had the same damage to my tendons, but had my arch "lowered" and my ankle shifted to protect that outboard side. It's more hardware a plate a wedge and 2 screws but it's was worth it to protect the work. I guess the worst part of my recovery is the incredible boredom, there is only so much you can do. One thing that helped me was changing my nest areas every week. The variety helped. In fact the first 2 weeks I was on a couch in the living room, and when I moved to another area it made me sick to even look at it. So my wife sold it and replaced it. Another thing that helped we celebrated the steps with something, cupcakes, a special meal, etc. So I wish you luck as you are starting your adventure ! I hope this will help.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
    Redhead54
    (female)

Redhead54 HB User

Thanks. I think I do have a high arch - but don't have any idea if there's any plan to address that in surgery. I like the idea of celebrating small steps. Hubby and I are making plans to be ready for surgery - getting my 'sick bed' set up on the first floor, bringing down a tv and hooking it up to a dvd player with wifi access to Netflix. Have to go be 'evaluated' this week to see if HMO will authorize a wheelchair post-surgery (can't do scooter because my right knee is still too tender after meniscus tear surgery earlier this summer). Have no idea what their 'evaluation' will consist of. I'll just have to see what they say. Surgery is just a day over 2 weeks away. Trying not to get too anxious - it will be out of my control once they wheel me into the operating room.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
    Redhead54
    (female)

Redhead54 HB User

You have my sympathies. The prospect of no driving for at least 6 weeks (that's what my surgeon says) is daunting! Hang in there.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! I have had my peroneus longus repaired as well as my ATFL (along with 2 other ligaments and groover deepening). I, too, was in a cast and NWB for 6 wks and yes, it is challenging. As another poster said, definitely read the sticky on tips to get ready for NWB and how to get through NWB. They are life savers! As for pain, my doctor had me on Percocet (oxycodone) along with Vistaril (atarax). Vistaril is actually an anti-histamine, but when used in conjunction with pain meds, can potentiate their effects (make them stronger). It also causes drowsiness and helps you sleep better. I used Vistaril with pain meds after both my ankle surgeries and it made a big difference! I, too, started PT 6 wks in (2 days after cast came off) and was in PT for 3 months. My advice: do EVERYTHING the doctor tells you and EVERYTHING the PT tells you. Don't deviate or cut corners. Yes, it will hurt but there are meds for that and the PT has different modalities to control pain and swelling too. Just remember, this too shall pass! It does get better! When is your surgery? Should be coming up soon seeing that you posted on 10/28 that it is coming up in a little over a month? Let us know as soon as you're able how you're doing!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
    lauralei51
    (female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Redhead, as part of my ankle reconstruction surgery, I had my peroneal tendon repaired, along with about 4 or 5 other procedures. Definitely read the very beginning of this message board for tips on how to prepare for surgery and recovery afterward. Here are some things I did to prepare and some tips for coming back to the home on surgery day (mine was done as a day surgery, but I sure wished I had spent one night in hospital so I could stay on top of pain).

Get a little stool to for the bathroom to rest your splinted leg on when you sit on the toilet.(for a week after surgery, it hurt like hell to lower my leg. The blood would rush to my ankle and it would throb so bad, so it feels much better to elevate it a bit on the stool)

Shower chair/bench. I couldn't have showered without it. I had a sliding one, 2 legs in tub, 2 legs outside. I would get on it outside the tub, put a garbage bag over my splint & cast, and rest it on the toilet...or a stool, whatever. Then I would slide over on the seat, centering me in the tub. Also, a handheld shower head is a must...if you don't have one, get a cheap on you can attach to what you already have.

Knee walker. Couldn't have done without this thing from day 1 till I went into a walking boot. It went everywhere with me. Invaluable. I rented mine from a home health company my insurance accepted.

Homemade ice bags: Make 2, so you always have one in the freezer to switch out with the one you're using. You need 4 gallon size freezer bags as I double bagged. 2 bottles of Isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Pour 1 full bottle of alcohol into a bag, then fill it with water and pour that into the bag. Zip it closed, making sure the air is all out of the bag, then put that bag into another bag so it is double bagged. Repeat for other bag. Freeze both bags the first time for at least 12 hrs. Make sure you make the bags a day or 2 before your surgery. The alcolhol keeps the bags from freezing solid....it is slushy, so can be molded nicely..you have to ice behind the knee because of the soft splint and then the cast. These ice bags stay cold for a very long time. I used my 2 bags over and over for 2 months!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
    Redhead54
    (female)

Redhead54 HB User

Surgery is tomorrow (12/4). I'm about as ready as I can be. I'll try posting again by the end of the week (after surgery). On the bright side, I stayed healthy over Thanksgiving, so there won't be any last minute cancelling or rescheduling of surgery. Thanks for all the comments - very helpful - especially the "stickies" on getting prepared for the post-surgery period. Have my 'nest' mostly ready - will finish it up tonight!

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: Redhead54
    Hollywood48 (12-04-2013),ibabug (12-03-2013),loveoysters (12-03-2013),PesCav (12-03-2013)
    Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
    Redhead54
    (female)

Redhead54 HB User
    Smile Re: Upcoming Peroneal Tendon surgery

Hi all. Sorry for long lapse. I had my surgery on 12/4/13. Damage to tendons (peroneal brevis and longus) was more extensive than thought and I was in surgery for 3 hours. Surgeon, after some deliberation in the operating room, opted to try and repair (using brostrom:gould procedure) rather than remove (thank goodness). He also tightened up the ankle ligaments. Spent last six weeks non weight bearing in a splint and two different casts. All is healing well. Graduated to ortho boot on Jan. 14 and will enter formal PT next week. Still no driving (sigh), but surgeon said ahead of first PT appointment, that I can try partial weight bearing (as tolerated) with crutches. Let me tell you, these first couple of days my leg/foot is really aching! Not 'tolerating' partial weight bearing all that well. However - big plus - I can take boot off for bathing! Got my first shower with no cast cover last night. A little scary but also heavenly to get water on the leg and clean off some of the dead skin (yech).

Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
    jovack
    (male)

jovack HB User

hello red

ive got to have the same opp next month, reading how you have got on has put my mind at easy a little.

jovack

Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
    Redhead54
    (female)

Redhead54 HB User

Good luck to you.

BTW - just started PT today (ouch!) I know the exercises are necessary to regain strength and range of motion, but my goodness this first day of exercising has been painful. Doing lots of icing and elevating today!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-21-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    peroneal brevis, tendon injury, tendon repair surgery