It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

What kind of shower transfer bench would you recommend?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
proudgrma
(female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User
Question What kind of shower transfer bench would you recommend?

I am 3 weeks away from my foot reconstruction surgery. I think I have most of the equipment I'll need, but I am wondering about a shower transfer bench. Any advice on what features to look for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
ibabug
(female)

ibabug HB Useribabug HB User
Re: What kind of shower transfer bench would you recommend?

Got the large bench that fits in and out of tub!!! It is perfect. Don't forget the hand held shower wand as well. Tried to use my shower in my room but could not deal with the three inch step to get in. Tub worked better for me!
Gastrocemius recession
Haglunds excision

The Following User Says Thank You to ibabug For This Useful Post:
proudgrma (12-12-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Powerplay
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

I have a built in shower seat so all I had to do was bring my knee walker parallel to the stall and move my good leg in and then stand while holding on to the door. Once in I sat on the seat and showered. Since you dont have a built in seat just make sure the one you use is stable so you don't slip. You must have a leg cast cover

Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
loveoysters
(female)

loveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB User

It really depends on your shower or tub. I got a pretty standard seat that I use in my shower. I have a built in seat but it's a little bit too far back from where I get it and I was so unstable at first I didn't want to hop back. I opened the shower door back up with my walker and stepped in . The chair was right there. It's not a big shower but you really are shaky at first.
First few showers my husband helped me wrap the leg in the bag and get into the shower.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Peach86
(female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User

Make sure whatever bench you get has suction feet on the shower side so it doesn't slip around. I have one of the larger ones that has two feet on the outside of the tub and 2 suction feet on the inside...You can sit on the portion outside of the tub, lift your feet over the side, and slide into the shower. It has a back and a hand rail on the portion inside the shower as well. It is light and easy to move in and out of the shower for those who have two good feet I paid over $100 for it, but it was (and still is at 12 1/2 weeks post op) 100% worth the price.

Also, make sure you cover the bathroom floor in nonslip mats. Inevitably, some water will get on the floor making it VERY slippery with crutches...I slipped less than a week after surgery this way. After that incident, I COVERED the bathroom in mats and towels

Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
proudgrma
(female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User

So many good tips. Thanks so much!

Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
PesCav
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

I recommend you practice before surgery, and plan to sit facing away from the water stream. That first shower is gonna feel great!!

Closed Thread