It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Top of foot and ankle pain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Top of foot and ankle pain

Hello,
I have top of foot and "some" ankle pain. It hurts bad enough to not being able to walk.
My story: 6 months ago I had an ankle sprain.

Four weeks ago I started to have severe top of foot pain. (inclue one toe).
I went for a check with an orthopedist foot and ankle and had an x-ray.
x-ray was o.k with no problem.
(I also have ankle pain but it's not that much).
Orthopedist examined my foot and ankle and asked does it hurt and I said no. He said I don't have neuroma and my ankle is stable!.
So why do I have pain?

He said looks like I have some "irritation" there and that the pain will go away. So really, I started to feel o.k for a week and then I have the pain again. It's all the time, when I walk (I can barely walk) and when I sit.

What could that be? I asked him if that could be a stress fracture and the answer was no. What else could that be? Why do I have pain to the point I can't walk?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Top of foot and ankle pain

Why did you tell him it didn't hurt? and what do you mean by top of foot pain? Where on the top and is it like a sprain of more stabbing? I don't get a true sense of what's going on with your description/ How did you sprain it? What did doctor say about it then? We just need more info.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

I had pain extending along the length of my first metatarsil when I first started walking in regular shoes after coming out of the boot. It was because I was not putting the ball of my big toe down on the floor when I walked and it was straining the PTT tendon. Took a bit of rehab and being conscious of how I walked for it to go away. Orthopedics arch supports definitely helped.

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Old 12-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

pain is located mainly in metartasal area and in the navicular bone (if that's what it called). also "some" ankle pain. It feels like somebody is drilling in me. It's like a pressure pain but very bad, bone pain/deep pain.

Any ideas what could that be?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

Sounds more or less similar to the pain I had.

Have you changed your gait since you sprained your ankle? Started or stopped using any othodics? Shoes that wore out in a certain way while you were recovering from your sprain?

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello again, thanks for your reply!. Yes, definatelly, I have changed my gait big time.
In fact, my whole weight is on my other foot while walking (when I walk).
But it hurts even when I don't walk.

Again, my ankle is stable, but that doesn't mean much, right? but I have to thankful for that!.

So, this "drilling" pain, does it sound like a stress fracture?, like neuropathy? why didn't it hurt during the examination?

Last edited by nochange; 12-23-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Oh so you meant it wasn't hurting right then but usually does. it could be a stress fracture. They can be hard to see on xrays. You could also have some loss of cartilege in the joint. That's very painful.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

and what can be done about that?
so you mean it could either be a stress fracture or loss of cartillage in the joint?
well, I told the doctor and he insisted I don't have a stress fracture and he said no.

Is it better not to walk and rest my foot for couple of months (if it's a stress fracture?).
It hurts all the time, when I sit or when I walk.

also, I have to mention, I feel the navicular bone(if that its name) while walking or when I sit. I just feel that bone - what could that be?
Ibuprofen doesn't help that much.

Last edited by nochange; 12-25-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
vegdc
(female)

vegdc HB User

An x-ray won't reveal soft tissue damage. Did your doctor mention if an MRI could show anything?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
shawnb03
(male)

shawnb03 HB User

Yea. I would push you doctor for a MRI. Thats the only real way of seeing whats going on in your foot. Xrays sometimes have a really hard time seeing stress fractures and they cant see soft tissue damage at all.

When i went to my family doctor. He was not very impressed with the exam he did on my ankles. In fact, if it wasnt for my wife being there pressing for a xray and for a referral to see a foot doctor. I would still be in pain now with no light at he end of the tunnel.

Take control. Its your ankles, your body. If you are hurting, make the doctor do what you think is right.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #11
django115
Inactive
(female)

django115 HB User

Hi there

I agree with the above. It took me a long while to get a diagnosis, which was that I had an avulsion fracture and both lateral ligaments were destroyed. Avulsion fractures often don't show well on X-ray and ligament tears can only be visualised by MRI. Top of the foot pain is quite common with ankle ligament injuries. The pain is caused by the rest of the structures in your foot trying to compensate.

Press for an MRI and then see where you are at.

Good luck.

Closed Thread