It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Update: 10 year old daughter, flat foot surgery two weeks post-op

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
hairhome
(female)

hairhome HB User
Update: 10 year old daughter, flat foot surgery two weeks post-op

Hello all,

Tried to post a quick update earlier, but I don't think it worked. Daughter is two weeks post surgery. Got "cast" taken off yesterday, and was placed in weight-bearing boot up to her knee. As Tami Nicole suggested, it was a good idea to hang on to the pain killers. She made it through the day yesterday with extra strength Tylenol and the ICEMAN machine (that is a great machine) helped as well. Only one dose of the oxycodone at night - but hadn't needed any oxy in 10 days before that - yet makes sense she needed one last night. Today her best friend came over and kept her company, they played and it took her mind off of her foot ....best friends are good medicine too. Another good friend is lined up for tomorrow. Xrays yesterday showed the implant has good placement and the doctor showed me how he does this type of measurement for the implant's placement. She also has a nice arch now in looking at the xray. Can't bear to put any weight on the foot, but it's pretty early yet. Will have wheelchair brought to school and tucked away in a vacant classroom for the teachers to access if she tuckers out later in the school day from the crutches. Can't get her to consider the scooter - at least not yet. Next appt in 4 weeks.

Last edited by hairhome; 01-04-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: inaccuracy

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: hairhome
Babsnfla (01-05-2014),carol443 (01-05-2014),loveoysters (01-05-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
peaceoutaly
(female)

peaceoutaly HB User
Re: Update: 10 year old daughter, flat foot surgery two weeks post-op

Hey there! I am 20 y.o. and just had surgery in July - full reconstruction, all metatarsals were cut, re-shaped and straightened along with two tendons being tightened and the implant being placed at my ankle joint. I was non-weight bearing for about 2.5 months and had a walking boot for an additional 2.5 months. It was a very tough recovery. She is very lucky her school is being so cooperative about the surgery, that's very helpful. I wish her a good recovery! The crutches are tough, stick close to her the first day on them so she doesn't fall and hurt the foot - made that mistake! Duct tape is great for decorating crutches!! LOL

Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

Glad to hear she's on the mend!!

It's not easy to get back on your feet, but make sure she does get a few steps in everyday. The first week walking is the worse but you have to push through it.

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
hairhome
(female)

hairhome HB User

Funny you should mention duct tape - my daughter 'blinged' up her crutches with duct tape a few days ago, and then the padding (under the arms) has little ducks on them for extra padding (though they seem more decorative than anything else). So she calls her crutches her "duckies."

Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
hairhome
(female)

hairhome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiNicole View Post
Glad to hear she's on the mend!!

It's not easy to get back on your feet, but make sure she does get a few steps in everyday. The first week walking is the worse but you have to push through it.
Hi TamiNicole (and others with subtalar arthroereisis and gastroc recession),

While I believe you had more done re: surgery than my daughter, if I'm not mistaken you also had the subtalar arthroereisis and achilles lengthening?

My daughter starts PT later on today. As she just got the cast off on Fri and is now in a WB boot to the knee and we're still in the early stages - I wanted to ask, did you find that you initially felt like walking on the outside of your foot?

She only takes off her boot for a shower or to go to bed, but I noticed that when she stands (briefly), she holds her foot up a little, so that the outer side of her foot is touching the floor, with the sole of her foot facing her other foot (hope I presented a clear-enough picture..?). I figure it's because her foot has just been corrected, and things are a bit tight in there so that it feels more comfortable.

Without putting any real weight on it, I asked her to slowly tilt her foot down towards the ground. She did it and touched the ground. She said that it hurt, yet there were no tears or anything, so I would venture to say that it was really uncomfortable but not excrutiating.

I figure in PT, they'll work on this, and encourage her to fight through the uncomfortableness to slowly move towards more weight bearing? Would you agree? Does that track with your experience? We go back in 4 weeks for a follow up with the doctor, but I'll call him just to ask the question as well.

On a kind of funny note, when I picked her up from school yesterday (she made it through the day with no requests to go to the office for pain killer, nor any requests for the wheel chair) she mentioned that her underarms were sore, no doubt due to crutches. I asked her to show me how she was using them, and she was totally holding up her foot, even with the boot, putting no weight at all on the foot, like she had when she was NWB. I reminded her that she's allowed to put some weight on the foot and to use the crutches to help, but not totally support all of her weight, and walked her through a little demonstration. She said, "OHHHHH like this?!" I can do that now? She admitted it was less wear and tear on the underarms.... So I reminded her that she doesn't have to walk all day on the foot, but that she should be taking some steps on it, with the crutches to assist.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
loveoysters
(female)

loveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB User

Hi Hairhome,
Great to hear your daughter is doing so well. It's important to start with the PWB when they say to because it helps with the healing. It's uncomfortable but the nerves, muscles, etc all need to learn to start working again. Just guide her to not apply more weight than she can tolerate.

I had the same strange feeling on the outside of my foot. My foot was fully reconstructed and I had never stepped on the outside. It was very weird and uncomfortable at first, and I was very worried it wasn't right. However, I no longer even feel that as my foot is adjusting very well. Most of the area I am working to get into proper working order is by big toe. It's still difficult to get the muscles to move it. I'm 13 weeks post op tomorrow so I am still in the early stages of full recovery so I'm not concerned about it. I'll just need to keep the PT exercises going every day.

Good luck to your daughter! She'll be great in the end.
LO

Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
hairhome
(female)

hairhome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveoysters View Post
Hi Hairhome,
Great to hear your daughter is doing so well. It's important to start with the PWB when they say to because it helps with the healing. It's uncomfortable but the nerves, muscles, etc all need to learn to start working again. Just guide her to not apply more weight than she can tolerate.

I had the same strange feeling on the outside of my foot. My foot was fully reconstructed and I had never stepped on the outside. It was very weird and uncomfortable at first, and I was very worried it wasn't right. However, I no longer even feel that as my foot is adjusting very well. Most of the area I am working to get into proper working order is by big toe. It's still difficult to get the muscles to move it. I'm 13 weeks post op tomorrow so I am still in the early stages of full recovery so I'm not concerned about it. I'll just need to keep the PT exercises going every day.

Good luck to your daughter! She'll be great in the end.
LO
Hi loveoysters - so nice to hear from you! I feel like she had/has great care (experienced surgeon), but there is that nagging feeling of, is this right?....is this okay?. So it helps to hear from someone who has been thru this and is further along in the process. I have tried to prepare her for PT starting today. She's been before, and the experience was very pleasant, but she hadn't had surgery. So it was a whole different experience with probably little to no pain. I told her to be prepared for it to be uncomfortable, they're going to push her - a tear or two might be shed....and that's it hard work to get to where she wants to be, but that she CAN get there. I think I need to find the sound track to the olympics.....

Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
loveoysters
(female)

loveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB User

You're such a good mom! She'll do better than you think at PT, but it's a perfect time to add back the Tylenol about an hour before she goes in. It helps a bit. I've heard stories all over the map regarding PT not hurting to extreme pain. My experience has been as I expected it to be, hard work but very tolerable. My foots tired afterwards but not like some I've heard about. I did have a substitute therapist during the holidays and she had vise grip hands and was very painful. I was very happy she wasn't my main therapist.

They work you into the exercises over a period of time and depending on where you are in your recovery. Your daughter is still in the early stages so they'll move her into it slowly.

All my best.
LO

Old 01-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

Hi Hairhome!

I certainly had a really hard time putting weight where it was supposed to go when I first started PWB. It took quite a while for me to actually get the ball of my big toe on the ground when I took a step. (A lot easier in the boot at first than it was bare foot, though!)

It all takes time to essentially learn how to walk again: you are using completely new muscles, tendons, etc. in new ways with every step so it's definitely a process. Has she started PT yet? My therapist was great at stretching and massaging my foot out so I could get the alignment I needed.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
hairhome
(female)

hairhome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveoysters View Post
You're such a good mom! She'll do better than you think at PT, but it's a perfect time to add back the Tylenol about an hour before she goes in. It helps a bit. I've heard stories all over the map regarding PT not hurting to extreme pain. My experience has been as I expected it to be, hard work but very tolerable. My foots tired afterwards but not like some I've heard about. I did have a substitute therapist during the holidays and she had vise grip hands and was very painful. I was very happy she wasn't my main therapist.

They work you into the exercises over a period of time and depending on where you are in your recovery. Your daughter is still in the early stages so they'll move her into it slowly.

All my best.
LO
Thanks for the encouragement! She is doing better by little bits each day. She now puts some weight on the boot with the crutches and even ventures a few steps (to get a book or something very close by) without the crutches. There's less of holding her foot in such a way that it she appears wounded. She moves it around now absentmindedly - like when she's watching TV, the way anyone might move their foot. She's protective of it a little less. Physical Therapy went very well....gentle movements, like doing the letters of the alphabet with her ankle. She also does a calf stretch. We lucked out and the therapist assigned to her was great. Very smart and personable, and my daughter took to him quickly. All he had to do was ask her what her favorite "animal" was, and she delivered a soliloquy on her love of sharks, each type of shark, how the shark can be identified, facts about sharks....whew! Uh did I mention she loves sharks? Once it was clear that she was doing okay, I went back and sat with the peanut gallery. She was a little sore afterwards so I put her on the "ICEMAN" machine and gave her two tylenol and she was good to go for the rest of the evening. Good advice re: tylenol in advance - thanks!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to hairhome:
loveoysters (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
hairhome
(female)

hairhome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiNicole View Post
Hi Hairhome!

I certainly had a really hard time putting weight where it was supposed to go when I first started PWB. It took quite a while for me to actually get the ball of my big toe on the ground when I took a step. (A lot easier in the boot at first than it was bare foot, though!)

It all takes time to essentially learn how to walk again: you are using completely new muscles, tendons, etc. in new ways with every step so it's definitely a process. Has she started PT yet? My therapist was great at stretching and massaging my foot out so I could get the alignment I needed.
Hi TamiNicole,

wanted to mention that PT went really well. I can see the improvement in small increments day by day. She's still naturally favoring the foot, but definitely less than just a few days before. If she takes off the boot at home (before shower or bed), I see her testing it a little on a soft rug, naturally having a sizeable limp and just going a step or two but she's curious about what it feels like. Right after the cast was taken off, she wanted me to lightly wrap her foot before she went to sleep at night to 'protect it' and I noticed the last two nights, she fell asleep with nothing on her foot, and she's sleeping naturally, feet together, tucked into her body with seemingly no discomfort.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
TamiNicole
(female)

Thumbs up Re: Update: 10 year old daughter, flat foot surgery two weeks post-op

wooohooo! Go little Hairhome!!!

Last edited by TamiNicole; 01-09-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
hairhome
(female)

hairhome HB User
Re: Update: 10 year old daughter, flat foot surgery six weeks post-op

Hi There ,

My daughter appears to be doing well with her recovery. TamiNicole: She also quickly stopped needing her crutches - like you mentioned during your experience. On her first day back to school (Jan 6) she had both crutches. By the third day, I noticed she just kind of had them at her sides but wasn't really using them. The day after that she used one, and then by that Friday, no crutches. So far so good with the PT, helps that we got a really personable guy, and they have a good rapport.

After school once we get home, she takes off her boot and will walk short distances without it. Only at home. During those times, I've noticed that she is no longer holding her foot quite as gingerly, though she’s naturally favoring it. But during these instances, I definitely see snatches of her gait improving, but these are only for small increments of time. She still tends to walk a bit on the outside of that foot…must still feel weird, I’d imagine. One thing I noticed - and chalk this up to being 10 years old...one day she went upstairs (was wearing the boot) to get something before we left for an errand. I was waiting downstairs, and I heard this galloping sound...she was heading down the stairs with a sense of purpose...I won't call it running so maybe I'd classify it as a modified gallop. I thought, "sheesh –guess I have to assume it doesn't hurt to do that!

We were in the store over the weekend, getting supplies from a craft store for a project, and she got a little tired. I find that her hip will hurt (no doubt from the way the boot throws off your alignment) if she overdoes some walking. She’s getting around school fine; it's only short steps from one class to another.

Next follow-up appt is Feb 7th. I don't want to rush things, but I find myself thinking....'hmmm, wonder what she'll be like recovery-wise in April? I keep it to myself....knowing she has to heal in her own time, so I don't want her feeling pressured to heal. Yet I know it’s tough to be on the sidelines as a kid. She will be missing a ski trip that the middle school is doing for a full day next week, and I know she’s bummed. Yet all in all she’s shouldering this recovery well. She’s still upbeat and goofy, singing songs around the house…so that’s good.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
TamiNicole
(female)

I'm so glad she's doing so well!! That's fantastic news!! (And also must be a HUGE relief for you!) The hard part is over now, so take a deep breath and relax!

The Following User Says Thank You to TamiNicole For This Useful Post:
hairhome (02-04-2014)
Closed Thread