It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Partial Peroneal Brevis Tendon Tear

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
twohands
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Partial Peroneal Brevis Tendon Tear

I just found out I have this in my left foot after an MRI.

My orthopedic surgeon wants me to wear arch supports for the next month to see if that relieves my pain.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that this will resolve given time, or if this usually needs to have a surgical repair. Any thoughts on that? Any activities I should avoid to prevent this from getting worse?

Also, I have a huge ganglion cyst on the front on my ankle joint. Anyone have this get better without surgery?

I've been through 11 various surgeries over the past 5.5 years, and I'm all surgeried out! This includes a number of spine surgeries and a left ankle surgery to remove a bone spur from the front of my ankle joint and arthroscopic debridement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Hollywood48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Partial Peroneal Brevis Tendon Tear

I wonder how big your tear is? I know it's only partial. I had surgery for a shredded peroneal tendon and my surgeon told me that tendon tears don't heal really without surgical intervention bc there isn't much blood supply to them. There was a big difference in pain for me before my surgery and after my surgery in the peroneal region (I had a lot done including repairs of 3 ligament tears, the peroneal tendon tear and groove deepening for peroneal tendon subluxation). But if your surgeon thinks it can, I would definitely try all avenues and let surgery be a last resort. It just all depends on what you can handle functionally and pain wise. Good luck and let us know what happens! Oh did he say anything about placing you in a walking boot to let the tendon calm down and heal or a cast? I have heard of doctors trying that more for peroneal tendonitis, but I've heard it tried for slight tears too!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
twohands (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
twohands
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Partial Peroneal Brevis Tendon Tear

Hollywood,

Thanks for responding and sharing your information. I'm not sure how bad the tear is. I've called the center where I had my MRI twice, and both times they have insisted they can't release the radiologist report until 10 days after my MRI. Once I get the radiologist report I'll post it here.

At this point my surgeon hasn't mentioned a walking boot or cast. He wants me to wear the orthotics and document on a calendar each day how long I can wear them for, and mentioned he may eventually need to increase the arch support by quite a bit as my arches are falling. I'm only able to wear the orthotics for 2-4 hours right now as using them causes some pretty nasty pain below and behind the bottom of my fibula where the tendon problem is.

I'm really bummed out because I'm not able to wear them at all in some of my very favorite shoes. I'm also almost wondering if I need to purchase some shoes that are 1/2 size bigger as the orthotics are really causing my feet to get pinched in several places.

Closed Thread