It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Questions about brodstrum ankle surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Karin67
(female)

Karin67 HB User
Questions about brodstrum ankle surgery

I am needing to have both the brodstrum procedure and micro fracture. I know I am going to have some pain but that's not an issue can work through that. My real question is how long I will have to be off work. I'm self employed. My surgeon said I could return to work in 3 or 4 days as long as I was non weight barring. So from you that have had this. Done what do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
django115
Inactive
(female)

django115 HB User
Re: Questions about brodstrum ankle surgery

Hi there

I had a Brostrom Evans Gould procedure almost 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty surprised that your surgeon has said you will be back at work so soon. I was 4 days in hospital, 2 of those I was IV pain medication and fluids. I still cannot move around too much without my foot swelling inside the cast and my toes going blue.

In my opinion you will need at least 2 weeks at home with your leg elevated for most of the time.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
angelee43
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Yep - have to agree. I had modified Brostrom-Gould, microfracture, and a few other things done. NWB for 3.5wks. 2 Nights in hospital. 10 days in splint with foot elevated "toes above nose" - really helps with the healing process. Then into fibreglass cast for 2 wks (NWB) - still needs lots of elevation but can do this sitting instead of laying down. Then into ankle brace with runners - and takes 1 to 2 wks to FWB without crutches (I did it in 6 days) - but you are still very slow, can't walk far etc.
Best of luck!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-11-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Karin67
(female)

Karin67 HB User

Thanks for your relies. That's what I was thinking from what I had learned from the internet info. Will just have to delay repairs till I can be off of it. Hoping I can get the ankle stable enough to wait it out. Also thinking a second opinion would be good. Cause he said it would be out patient surgery??

Old 01-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
angelee43
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

yes, get a second opinion and then decide what is right for you. It can be done as out patient but I felt more comfortable staying the 2 nights especially with the pain control and it was my first surgery ever

Old 01-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Erie0385
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

I have had 2 different brostrom surgeries in 10 years and both of them were outpatient. My first one was easy and I think staying overnight would have been a bit much. This time I had a tendon harvest to fix my tore ligaments. My nerve block didn't work and it was suggested that I could stay overnight. I did not, and went home. It's not insane to be sent home same day. If that is discussed, I'd ask the surgeon if pain management is inadequate, is it possible to stay a night.
Good luck!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
1168phil
(male)

1168phil HB User

On 11/20/13 I had a modified brostrom and microfracture procedure. It was outpatient, I was in the hospital TOTAL about 6 hours. My surgeon said he would clear me to return to work after 7-10 days, and I work in a library. A lot of moving about. It's actually good to be up and moving after surgery so long as you don't bear any weight for a while. Each person is different as to what they can tolerate, and each doctor different with how they do post op... But I felt fine to use my knee scooter and be back to work after 8 days. Just keep it elevated as often as possible and the pain won't be bad at all.

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle surgery