It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Stress fracture and shoes

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
Ellie26794
(female)

Ellie26794 HB User
Stress fracture and shoes

I was diagnosed at a minor injuries unit with a stress fracture in my foot, and the only thing they gave me to heal it was the advice to rest it and stop running. This was 4 weeks ago and there has been no improvement. I was just wondering when it would be ok for me to start going to the gym again, and when can I start wearing shoes like my healed wedges? Does anyone have any advice on this? Doctors very unhelpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
twohands
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Stress fracture and shoes

If it's still hurting you so bad, then doing activities like going to the gym and wearing heels will likely make it hurt much worse, and may make it take longer to heal.

You can always call your doctor's nurse and discuss this with them as they can often give guidance or will talk to the doctors about your concerns and get back to you. The doctor may want you to return for a follow up appointment as well.

Did the doctor give you any advice about what type of footwear or insoles/arch supports to wear? Ask the doctor's nurse about this also. There are some insoles like SuperFeet and arch supports like Dr. Scholl's that can help your feet a lot in some cases, but again, get the guidance from your doctor's nurse about whether or not to do this.

Best wishes!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Were you put in a surgical shoe or boot? You should be wearing something like that for 6 weeks. And possibly wrapping the foot with an ace bandage.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
briasma
(female)

briasma HB User

I had a stress fracture on one of the small bones on top of the foot, and my podiatrist put me in an air boot/walking boot for several weeks. I would ask about that to get it to healed first, before wearing heels or running. In fact, for me, wearing heels all day is what caused my fracture. So I don't wear them anymore except for very short periods of time.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

I wouldn't expect the doctor's at a minor emergency clinic to give you any sort of good advice on what to do for a stress fracture. If you're still having pain 4 weeks later, you need to go see someone who specializes in foot & ankle, whether it be an orthopedist or a podiatrist.

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, gym, shoes, stress fracture