It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

hallux rigidus with bone spur plus PRP or stem cells

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
ivy047
Inactive
(female)

ivy047 HB User
hallux rigidus with bone spur plus PRP or stem cells

I have been diagnosed with hallux rigidus (accompanied by a bone spur, joint space narrowing and mild sesamoiditis). The pain came on suddenly (sharply) in September 3013 and progressed rapidly to constant aching and tenderness by November). Although the podiatrist says the arthritis is "mild", I am definitely concerned that I already have lost joint space. As I am only 45, with a number of additional biomechanical conditions in other areas of my body, its very important for me to avoid any surgery that could potentially throw anything else out of alignment.

I have been closely following success stories of PRP and stem cell therapies and am definitely encouraged by anecdotal evidence (from forums and testimonials, as well as patients I've encountered personally). It appears that with a skilled and experienced practitioner, PRP can kickstart healing, and stem cells can actually help grow back cartilage. There is one physician in Chicago (Hauser at Caring medical) who even treats mild bone spurring with injections of HCl (which helps dissolve it).

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any regenerative therapy for their big toe (or anywhere on the foot - all data can be helpful) and how they fared. Also please write if you are interested and considering it, as it will undoubtedly be helpful to exchange ideas and information. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: hallux rigidus with bone spur plus PRP or stem cells

I am not familiar with any of these procedures but have this condition in both great toes and have had both surgically repaired. I strongly suggest seeing an ortho who is Foot & Ankle Board certified. You can find one well versed in this by finding out who the Bulls or the Bears use for foot issue or any professional dance company in Chicago.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Tenajuk
(female)

Tenajuk HB User

I started with sudden severe pain in mine wen I was 21 and managed it through care & as it progressed used rocker shoes. I had surgery on both big toes to clean out the joint 18 months ago - by this stage I had lost most of the movement in both big toes and all in the worst one - so after the surgery the surgeon told me one was moderate one was severe so might need more work. One healed very well the other was too severe so I had a fusion 9 weeks ago. With the fusion the joint is set at a more natural angle than it was before.

Having had this for almost 30 years it was causing damage to my knee hip and lower back so it needed sorting.

Last edited by Tenajuk; 01-27-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
ivy047
Inactive
(female)

ivy047 HB User

I tried PRP injections into the toe joint and surrounding ligaments and there seems to be some minor improvement. Apparently I'll need a series of 6 every 4-6 weeks but its promising so far!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
toddwe
(male)

toddwe HB User

What is the name of the doctor who performed this? I am very interested in this therapy since I had a chilectomy that was a total disaster.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
ivy047
Inactive
(female)

ivy047 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwe View Post
What is the name of the doctor who performed this? I am very interested in this therapy since I had a chilectomy that was a total disaster.
I went to Dr. Hauser at Caring Medical in Chicago because he uniquely includes the HCl for bone spur dissolving. I also tried Dr. Magaziner in NJ. But there are other excellent PRP doctors in other parts of the country - if you let me know where you are located, I can try and recommend someone closer if you can't travel that far.

Closed Thread

Tags
big toe, bone spur, hallux rigidus, prp, stem cells