It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Pain following PTTD surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Legs11
(female)

Legs11 HB User
Pain following PTTD surgery

Hi everyone! First of all I would like to say I have enjoyed reading posts related to my situation and have found Healthboard to be a friendly and supportive environment.

I developed ankle pain back in September while on vacation after doing a lot of walking. I work in retail sometimes 9 hours a day on my feet. I went back to work but soon realized I was going to have to address my problem with a foot and ankle doctor. I was signed off for six weeks and out in a boot for four followed by PT. Still had a problem with slight pain after standing for 4 hours. So my doctor said he thought I had a cyst which had not shown up on the MRI done six weeks earlier. He advised surgery. I had surgery to remove a cyst. However there was no cyst. He said I had a varicose vein wrapped around the tendon which he removed. He also opened up the sheath around the tendon and injected amnion and my own plasma platelets. Originally my doc said I would be non weight bearing for two weeks then in a boot for four. Then I would be able to return to work. At my 10 day check up following surgery he said I would be non weight bearing for four weeks followed by pt. Still on track for returning to work six weeks after surgery.

So .... At this time which is just over two weeks following surgery..... I have been in so much pain - burning and pinching. My whole foot and ankle/lower leg feels like it is on fire. I know there is no infection because it was checked out 10 days after surgery. I asked the doctor about the pain. He compared it to a limb going numb then getting pins and needles. Of course I would ramp that up x 100! He said I could feel this pain for six weeks or more! I am distressed and disappointed because there was no discussion prior to surgery about how painful this would be following this procedure. Considering I told the doctor I need to return to work after six weeks - my STD runs out after that - he did not prepare me for this discomfort. If I go downstairs to our sitting room I elevate and ice all the time. But the pain is worse. Best place seems to be in my bed. I elevate and ice all the time.

I have found it encouraging to read some of your posts. Very helpful regarding the scooter! And I laughed at some of the comments about falling off the scooter and the roto router stuff! Hilarious! I can relate and thank you for the giggle which I have really needed. Some of you have had far more extensive surgery than I have. But pain is pain and lack of mobility is also what it is. It's great that everyone can understand what it is like. I would love any comments about the pain I have been experiencing. Have you experienced the same? I realize I was naive prior to surgery. Now I'm in this place I would love to hear from anyone who has had this sort of surgery and their experience regarding how long the pain lasted.

On that note - hope everyone is warm and cosy - I live in the Philadelphia area and do not feel I am missing anything regarding the weather!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
proudgrma
(female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User
Re: Pain following PTTD surgery

I can relate to your discouragement. Although my PTTD surgery sounds quite different than your's I am experiencing more pain and swelling than I expected...or maybe it's just a rough day. My husband was supposed to drive me 2.5 hrs to have my cast changed out today. Because of (another) blizzard we couldn't get there. Your description from your Dr about a limb being numb and then feeling pins and needles is close, but as you said "X 100"! My foot feels so tight in my cast even though it's elevated most of the day, and it feels "crunchy". At least I don't have to go back to work. That must feel so stressful, and I'm sorry. What are you taking for the pain? I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to proudgrma For This Useful Post:
Legs11 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Chairlady
(female)

Chairlady HB UserChairlady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudgrma View Post
I can relate to your discouragement. Although my PTTD surgery sounds quite different than your's I am experiencing more pain and swelling than I expected...or maybe it's just a rough day. My husband was supposed to drive me 2.5 hrs to have my cast changed out today. Because of (another) blizzard we couldn't get there. Your description from your Dr about a limb being numb and then feeling pins and needles is close, but as you said "X 100"! My foot feels so tight in my cast even though it's elevated most of the day, and it feels "crunchy". At least I don't have to go back to work. That must feel so stressful, and I'm sorry. What are you taking for the pain? I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
To proudgrma and legs11- just wanted to update you on myself... I am now at 7 weeks post pttd surgery... The key to recovery is having your foot raised with two pillows!!!! And ice!!! today was a major break thru for me!!!! After being in the house for almost 7 weeks... I went out today on my own!!! I must of been crazy to do it!!! It was a really nice day today in Brooklyn... I heard the rest of the week is freezing.. So I took advantageous the weather... Went for hair coloring today.. manicure... Dr said gotta wait for a pedicure!!, then I decided to walk home.. Mind you I am only pwb and in a cam boot!! So with my walker I walked home.. What should take 20 min. Took me 1-1/2 hours!!!! Crazy I am!!! I came home and collapsed and raised my foot for 4 hours.. And put on ice for a bit!!! tonite my youngest kid had a play?a?had to go... Again I was crazy..my foot was in sitting position for almost 3 hours!!! crazy.. Came home to find my foot like a swollen sausage!!! I am back to raising my foot with pillows and ice!!!!!wow! think I over did it but good!!! Hope I will learn a lesson for the future!!!! Key to recuperation is don't rush the walking and elevate your foot!!! Chairlady

Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
proudgrma
(female)

Crazy? Maybe not, but certainly ambitious! I will be NWB until 8 weeks, so you're ahead of me. And, I would have to walk through about 7 feet of snow piled up on the sides of our driveway! The snow just never stops. It has been a brutal winter so far. Chairlady, take it easy for a couple of days before venturing out again!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Chairlady
(female)

Quote:
Crazy? Maybe not, but certainly ambitious! I will be NWB until 8 weeks, so you're ahead of me. And, I would have to walk through about 7 feet of snow piled up on the sides of our driveway! The snow just never stops. It has been a brutal winter so far. Chairlady, take it easy for a couple of days before venturing out again!
proudgrma- u bet grandma! i aint goin out again for awhile!!.. i paid for it dearly!! my pt is going to kill me.. staying in and keeping my feet up most of the time!!. wow i thought we had alot of snow!! in my house it is called the S word and its not allowed to be said in the house! so does that mean u have been home bound like me till now? are you going stir crazy? what do you do to keep yourself busy? if you are sitting all day on your tuffet and it is bothering you.. i bought a great cushion on ****** that was very helpful.. as well as a good back support for myself ..if you need any info on this let me know..btw where did you have your surgery> in michigan? it sounds like you are in a cast now.. for another week or so.. after that do you go into a cam boot..and then pwb? when do you start pt? have a great smiley day!! your time is getting real close.. each day passes is another day closer!! trust it was very difficult for me!!. by week 3 i cracked up.. but then i got ahold of myself.. and doing much better..will keep you posted .. chairlady

Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Legs11
(female)

Legs11 HB User

I am worried because I'm the one in our family who gets the health benefit. So if I lose my job we are in trouble. Taking Percocet for pain as prescribed by the doctor. Had stitches out this morning (ouch). Took two pain killers before the appointment compared to the normal ones. I'm trying not to take too many but it's tough. Last night was one of the worst nights. Woke up screaming in pain. The boot had fallen to the side in my sleep and I guess the weight and the metal piece were resting on the scar. It was the worst and such a shock to the system. My poor husband! Have to go back in a week to have stitches out of my toes, had bones spurs done too. My doc never told me it was going to be this long for the pain. Reading your posts it seems that is more the norm. Thanks for response. It really does help to "chat".

Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Legs11
(female)

Legs11 HB User

Quote:
Wow! Must be really hard being that far away from the surgery especially as the weather is awful. I hope the swelling eases off for you as I am sure that is what all this pain is about. My doctor took a look this morning and said I'm still swollen. They are arranging for me to use a Tens machine (?) it sends electrical pulses and supposed to help with nerve pain. Doc prescribed Percocet and I have tried to stick to the minimum dose. The upside to this morning's visit was that they gave me a shoe instead of the boot. Still have to be nwb for two more weeks then we will see. Also have to start moving my ankle around a bit. Too sore right now though after having stitches out. Hope you have a lovely day and the sun is shining for you!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
proudgrma
(female)

Last night was one of the worst for me. There was a mix up with my pain meds and another med. I couldn't fall asleep until 3:30am. But, I awoke to sunshine and blue skies. That did my spirit good! Now it's mostly cloudy and very, very cold....8 degrees. We're not sure the weather will be good enough to drive to my Dr's office tomorrow. I just want to get this cast off.

Legs11, it must be a real worry to be concerned about your health insurance. Are you able to take any extended time off and not lose coverage? And, what do you mean about a shoe rather than a boot?

Chairlady, I had my surgery done in Grand Rapids, Mi., and we live "up north" as we say here. I spend almost all of my day in a very nice electric recliner which has separate foot and back controls to it. Then my husband pushes a wedge under my feet so my feet are higher than my nose. So my tush does get tired and achy! I get up on my knee walker once an hour and go to the bathroom whether I need it or not! I knit a little, read a little and watch too much TV.

Till later, be well.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Chairlady
(female)

Quote:
Last night was one of the worst for me. There was a mix up with my pain meds and another med. I couldn't fall asleep until 3:30am. But, I awoke to sunshine and blue skies. That did my spirit good! Now it's mostly cloudy and very, very cold....8 degrees. We're not sure the weather will be good enough to drive to my Dr's office tomorrow. I just want to get this cast off.

Legs11, it must be a real worry to be concerned about your health insurance. Are you able to take any extended time off and not lose coverage? And, what do you mean about a shoe rather than a boot?

Chairlady, I had my surgery done in Grand Rapids, Mi., and we live "up north" as we say here. I spend almost all of my day in a very nice electric recliner which has separate foot and back controls to it. Then my husband pushes a wedge under my feet so my feet are higher than my nose. So my tush does get tired and achy! I get up on my knee walker once an hour and go to the bathroom whether I need it or not! I knit a little, read a little and watch too much TV.

Till later, be well.
proudgrma- wow it sounds just like me.. exactly what i was doing!. i too had an electric recliner.. not the back just for the feet.. that it put my feet all the way up and when i want to get off it literally puts me in a standing position onto the scooter!! couldnt concentrate on th books.. so basically occupied my time with netflix.. we dont have a tv...but a good friend of mine gave me her laptop and my son set me up with netflix... i find myself at least laughing at alot of the jokes from the comedy shows... a good laugh is what u need... yup.. i got two big pillows under my foot... an ice on top.. i bought a cushion for myself to sit on besides the pillows i sit on top of the recliner.. it is from ******.. the company is roho group.. the size i got was 18x18 .. put in gel cushion with this company name.. its not the typical gel cushion. it works with a pump.. and it has a cover. it cost $100. but i found it too be very helpful.for my sitting.. i usually pumped it every 2-3 days.. if you want a smaller size its a bit cheaper.. i found it to be a lifesaver!!hope you are having a pleasant day and your recuperation is going smoothly! chairlady

Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
Chairlady
(female)

proudgrma- btw forgot to tell you. i did the EXACT same thing with the scooter. for the EXACT same reasons!! chairlady

Closed Thread