It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Released for limited weight bearing

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Alwayz Alice
(female)

Alwayz Alice HB User
Released for limited weight bearing

I had surgery on 12/3/13 for a tri break and dislocation in my left ankle. I now have a plate and seven screws in my ankle. I was seen by my surgeon yesterday and told that I can start "light" weight bearing while using my walker with the boot on for the next 3 weeks and then I can do the same without the boot. I tried to ask questions such as how much/how often and the surgeon was vague as far as I am concerned. I am hoping I can find some folks that have been through this that could offer some of their experiences and/or advice on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alwayz Alice For This Useful Post:
Airplane pilot (02-10-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User
Re: Released for limited weight bearing

Put as much weight as tolerated: it will probably be uncomfortable, but not so much weight that it is painful. I'm sure you'll find that the amount of weight tolerated will increase day by day.

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to TamiNicole For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Airplane pilot
(male)

Airplane pilot HB User

I transitioned to a walking boot last Thursday. I was in a hard cast since December
20, 2013. My Dr. limited my PWB to 20-30 lbs with a walker or crutches. What is
the best way to judge 30 lbs of pressure? I had surgery for a broken left ankle. My
last xray indicated that the 2 screws and plate are stilll intact.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

Do you have a bathroom scale? Put weight on the foot until it reads 30 lbs.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Airplane pilot
(male)

Airplane pilot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiNicole View Post
Do you have a bathroom scale? Put weight on the foot until it reads 30 lbs.
Thank you. I tried the bathroom scales and 30 lbs is not much. I weigh 192 lbs and 30 lbs
is barely enough to balance.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
TamiNicole
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplane pilot View Post
Thank you. I tried the bathroom scales and 30 lbs is not much. I weigh 192 lbs and 30 lbs
is barely enough to balance.
How long before your doctor said you can increase the weight? If you can add more weight without it being painful, then I don't see what the problem is. (The # of pounds is just a guideline, anyways.)

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
wellies
(female)

wellies HB User

I too am wondering how to judge how much weight is too much or enough. As I am sue many of you can relate.. having lived with this stupid foot for so long (complete rupture of PTT and torn achilles (PTTD) I have discovered that I don't really have an accurate pain gague anymore. I have just recently been told by my doctor that this problem has gotten much worse than it might have if I had taken this step sooner...but it's amazing how much pain the body can slowly row accustomed. When you say "discomfort" does that include a small amount of pain?...or does "pain" mean something comperable to your earlier, very acute, post surgical pain....

I'm not sure if I said any of that clearly...but if you followed it, I'd love some advice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wellies

Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
wellies
(female)

wellies HB User

I too am wondering how to judge how much weight is too much or enough. As I am sue many of you can relate.. having lived with this stupid foot for so long (complete rupture of PTT and torn achilles (PTTD) I have discovered that I don't really have an accurate pain gague anymore. I have just recently been told by my doctor that this problem has gotten much worse than it might have if I had taken this step sooner...but it's amazing how much pain the body can slowly row accustomed. When you say "discomfort" does that include a small amount of pain?...or does "pain" mean something comperable to your earlier, very acute, post surgical pain....

I'm not sure if I said any of that clearly...but if you followed it, I'd love some advice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wellies

Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
wellies
(female)

wellies HB User
Angry Re: Released for limited weight bearing

grrrr. sorry about double post.... my "quick reply" seems to be non-functional.

wellies

Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
Airplane pilot
(male)

Airplane pilot HB User

I'm uncertain and confused about the 30 lbs limit on my left ankle. Does it mean with
or without the walking boot? I am now able to climb a flight of stairs (slowly) with
crutches but descending is somewhat scary.

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle fracture, ankle movement, walking boot, weight bearing