It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

manuka honey to heal incision.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Tenajuk
(female)

Tenajuk HB User
manuka honey to heal incision.

Several friends have suggested using manuka honey to try to help my incision to heal. I'd been much the same since 2 weeks on & is now 9 weeks post op - nothing major -but there's just a final bit that's under 1cm that's failing to settle down & heal properly.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: manuka honey to heal incision.

I have read that Manuka Honey is even used in some Hospitals for wounds and there have been good results.
I have taken it for stomach issues and have also had excellent results.
You should read online how to apply it to wounds as that is important. I feel you have nothing to lose by giving it a try, good luck,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Tenajuk (01-29-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Tenajuk
(female)

Tenajuk HB User

Yes the dressings look good - I'd love to give them a try. But they are very expensive. This has already cost me £40 in dressings over the past 8 weeks - should be under the NHS but I get nowhere. It is very much a DIY healthcare system!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
seventh sister
(female)

seventh sister HB User
Wink Re: manuka honey to heal incision.

After my ankle surgery I asked the nurse if it was ok yo use Manuka and she said sure anything natural is fine, but not to use surgical creams? I did try it, but not sure if it helped or not. I feel like I maybe applied too much. I am going for a third surgery and am going to try the pre treated bandages.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Tenajuk
(female)

Tenajuk HB User

Well I did buy the honey but after ( with great difficulty ) finally getting permission to talk to the district nurse I stuck with Inadine dressings plus anti inflams and I added antihistamines for another two weeks and so by 11 peeks post op this finally healed.

The district nurse said sometimes she's seen people with plates fitted have this final bit that struggles to heal but not normally for quite so long. So it is just weird!

But all healed well in the end - and the honey has been great on toast!

The following user gives a hug of support to Tenajuk:
seventh sister (03-02-2014)
Closed Thread