It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

After surgery on left ankle

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Airplane pilot
(male)

Airplane pilot HB User
Smile After surgery on left ankle

Hello,
I broke my left ankle on 12/20/2013 and had surgery done on 12/22/2013.
My ankle was repaired with 2 screws and pins. I have been in a hard cast
since then. My doctor ok'd me to drive 3 weeks after surgery as long as
I was not taking any meds. I've been using a walker and crutchers to get
around not putting any weight on my left ankle. I am scheduled to have
my hard cast removed this Thursday, 2/6/14, and replaced with a walking
boot. What can I expect? I own a Cessna 182 airplane and can't wait to
start flying again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
seventh sister
(female)

seventh sister HB User
Wink Re: After surgery on left ankle

I went through two surgery's so far for my left ankle. Sounds like yours isnt as bad as mine so it should be a bit easier. The first time you step on your foot it feels horrible.. remember you haven't put any weight on it and its been elevated so you should expect redness and swelling. The blood has to recirculate and it takes a while for the redness to go away, but it will.
Usually you have Physical Therapy to strengthen your calf muscles and all your tendons and joints in and around the ankle and foot. Easy, painful but you have to do them or your ankle will get stiff.
I didnt take the pain meds either but once you step on it, its a whole new ball game! It hurts worse then when you broke it at first.
I wish I would have read some message boards earlier on in my experience because there is lots of good advice and different stories that really would have helped me!

Oh and they will tell you its normal to have swelling and pain for a while, but I kept telling the PT and the DR it was really hurting. They said it normal. So I kept doing my PT like a good patient and didnt press the issue enough.

Now that being said, I broke mine all the way across all three bones. They had to put a plate, and screws, plus one called a syndesmotic screw in to help it heal which had to be removed before I could walk on it. So I was down much longer than you.

I became unable to walk hardly even with a cane. And now, know that it didnt heal all the way and when I did PT and my walking routine it worsened it. I now have no cartilage in my ankle and am looking at ankle fusion.
Listen to your body and speak up if it doesn't feel right!

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to seventh sister For This Useful Post:
Airplane pilot (02-10-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Airplane pilot
(male)

Airplane pilot HB User
Re: After surgery on left ankle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventh sister View Post
I went through two surgery's so far for my left ankle. Sounds like yours isnt as bad as mine so it should be a bit easier. The first time you step on your foot it feels horrible.. remember you haven't put any weight on it and its been elevated so you should expect redness and swelling. The blood has to recirculate and it takes a while for the redness to go away, but it will.
Usually you have Physical Therapy to strengthen your calf muscles and all your tendons and joints in and around the ankle and foot. Easy, painful but you have to do them or your ankle will get stiff.
I didnt take the pain meds either but once you step on it, its a whole new ball game! It hurts worse then when you broke it at first.
I wish I would have read some message boards earlier on in my experience because there is lots of good advice and different stories that really would have helped me!

Oh and they will tell you its normal to have swelling and pain for a while, but I kept telling the PT and the DR it was really hurting. They said it normal. So I kept doing my PT like a good patient and didnt press the issue enough.

Now that being said, I broke mine all the way across all three bones. They had to put a plate, and screws, plus one called a syndesmotic screw in to help it heal which had to be removed before I could walk on it. So I was down much longer than you.

I became unable to walk hardly even with a cane. And now, know that it didnt heal all the way and when I did PT and my walking routine it worsened it. I now have no cartilage in my ankle and am looking at ankle fusion.
Listen to your body and speak up if it doesn't feel right!

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Airplane pilot
(male)

Airplane pilot HB User
Re: After surgery on left ankle

Hello,
I had my hard cast removed yesterday and what a relief. I was fitted with a "Grid
Iron XR Walker" walking boot. I am limited to 20-30 lbs of pressure on my left ankle.
I still have to use crutchers or a walker until March 20th. It feels good to partially
walk on both feet. My ankle is still somewhat swollen and I removed most of the
dead skin that was caused by wearing the hard cast for so long.I used a non-bac-
terial soap. BTW-the screws and plate are still intact and there is still a little scar
tisue where the inciscion was made. I'm trying to adjust to using this walking boot. Any suggestions?

Closed Thread