It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
js63
(female)

js63 HB User
Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery

As a Canadian with public healthcare I would unfortunately be waiting multiple years yet to get flat foot reconstruction surgery in Canada. I have decided to go to the Ford Hospital in Detroit to get the procedure done. I am extremely nervous as I am only 20 years old and can barely walk due to severe knee/foot pain caused by my flat feet. I have been told I will have to have the tendons in my arch and under my ankle bone completely replaced. I need the surgery on both feet, but will be doing it on my right foot first (as it is in worse shape)

Wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect, how long I can expect until I can drive, how long until I can get around short distances (as I am a student), how long until I am walking normally, scarring from incisions, etc.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-19-2014 at 07:19 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to js63:
nicelady (02-19-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User
Re: Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery

Hi Jsanti!

I definitely feel your pain! I started looking for a surgeon when I was about 23 but had been in horrible pain daily since about 15! I finally had my first surgery last March when I 25.

I just had my second flat foot surgery and I can say without a doubt it is the best thing I have done! The first 3-5 days are the worst but it gets better quickly from there. It's hard and uncomfortable when you're finally released to start weight-bearing but it's not impossible.

In regards to driving, I had my right foot done first. You'll most likely be 6 weeks non-weight bearing (NWB) so during that time there is NO driving. After that you'll probably be in a boot for several weeks, and your foot will be quite sore and weak so driving is not recommended until you get some strength back. I think it took me about 9-10 weeks to start driving after my right foot surgery.

I wrote a post not too long ago with some tips on getting through flat-foot surgery, it can be found here: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/972594-what-ive-learned-after-two-flat-foot-surgeries.html

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask and/or message me!

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
js63
(female)

js63 HB User

Thanks so much TamiNicole !!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-19-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
Powerplay
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

I too had a procedure similar to Tami. My right foot was the problem foot and while I was non weight bearing for 9 weeks, I still drove using my left foot but I wouldn't recommend doing so if you are not comfortable and don't feel in control. My new ankle is perfect now with very little side effects. You are smart having this done now. Being young you probably will find crutches to be easy to get around - I am much older and found the knee walker to be my mode of transportation. You should be able to get back to school within 2- 3 weeks provided you can get transportation to and from. Good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
foot and ankle, surgery