It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

When did you start PT after PTTD surgery?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
proudgrma
(female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User
When did you start PT after PTTD surgery?

I am 6.5 weeks post op now and will see my surgeon next Thursday. I am so anxious to start pwb and PT. Did your doctor start PT as soon as you were pwb? How many of you did pool therapy, too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Peach86
(female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User
Re: When did you start PT after PTTD surgery?

I started PWB and PT at 6 weeks postop. I did not do pool therapy, but I think that's because the hospital I do PT at has anti-gravity treadmills. I was able to gradually transition to FWB without the boot, and then running, using the treadmill.

Good luck with the next step in recovery!

Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
proudgrma
(female)

Wow, running! I'll be very happy if I can just walk 2 or 3 miles without significant pain. You are an encouragement, thanks!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Peach86
(female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User

Yes, running! I was terrified that I would never run or play sports again; but, tonight, at just over 5 months postop, I played volleyball for 2 1/2 hours!!! I can honestly say that my nonsurgical foot hurts far more than the reconstructed one. I'm still weaker on my right side, but I can jump, walk on my toes, do a small single heel raise, and my balance has improved a lot over the last couple of weeks...My therapist likes to torture me by making me pick up things off the ground while standing on only my right foot. At this point, uneven ground is the biggest struggle for me.

It does get better...I think the 6 weeks of NWB were the most difficult for me because I felt like I was just sitting around waiting for my foot to heal. Once I started PT, I at least felt like I could DO SOMETHING about it Be faithful about doing your PT exercises, and you will see improvement. Sometimes it's very slow (and sometimes you feel like you have taken a couple of steps back)...I had to have a pep talk from my doctor a couple of weeks ago because I felt like I had been stuck at the same stage of my recovery for awhile. He told me that I probably just didn't notice the improvement because sometimes it happens very slowly and that it takes over a year to fully recover. Two weeks later, I am able to do MUCH more than I could at that point...My therapist even commented on how much I've improved recently It can be a struggle to stay positive about this LONG recovery, but the PTTD surgery veterans on this board have helped me know what to expect, realize that it's ok to have rough days (or weeks ), and stay focused on the end goal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peach86 For This Useful Post:
proudgrma (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
sinclair34
(female)

sinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB User

I started PT at about 8 weeks. Did PWB for 1wk before starting PT. I have to say that the most difficult stage for me has been the transition to FWB, and the first few weeks of FWB. On one hand, I was so happy to be up and moving, but at times the pain would take my breath away. I was getting discouraged at 12 wks, but have seen huge improvement in the last few days. yesterday was my 13 wk mark. I actually went to the mall and did some shopping yesterday!

My facility has a pool, but my therapist has not thought it necessary for me as I am progressing very well without it.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
proudgrma
(female)

Although I'm anxious to start pwb, I'm also concerned about the pain. The pain I have now is a distinct sharp feeling like a metal rod is pushing through just below my ankle bone on both the inside and outside. I've not heard others talk about this kind of discomfort, but I'm assuming it's typical. Nerve? Thank you for encouraging me in this healing process!

Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
sinclair34
(female)

sinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB User

I feel something similar on the inside under ankle bone, and I have pain on bottom of heel that is very intense. They did so much work in there and bone pain is the worst. The heel is where I feel it most when I have overdone it, even at this stage. Good luck with this next stage!

The Following User Says Thank You to sinclair34 For This Useful Post:
proudgrma (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
NCgirl96
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I started at 7 weeks, as soon as I went from the cast to the boot. At first they just did work on the scars and ROM exercises, I didn't start anything weight bearing for a week or two. I loved getting started with PT, I felt like I made so much progress and could see noticeable differences every time I went.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
BayAreaMom
(female)

BayAreaMom HB User

I didn't start physical therapy until THREE MONTHS after my foot surgery. I'm not sure why my podiatrist didn't recommend that I go in earlier, as I had expected, but I was doing quite well on my own; it wasn't until he saw that my ankle was still swollen and holding up my progress that he sent me to p/t. For me, p/t is just a simple massage along and under both surgical sites in my foot and it really something I could do on my own or have someone else do. Anyhow, that's where I'm at and I'm feeling better every day, even walked all over NYC for a week!

The Following User Says Thank You to BayAreaMom For This Useful Post:
proudgrma (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
Chairlady
(female)

Chairlady HB UserChairlady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudgrma View Post
I am 6.5 weeks post op now and will see my surgeon next Thursday. I am so anxious to start pwb and PT. Did your doctor start PT as soon as you were pwb? How many of you did pool therapy, too?
Proudgrma-i started pt at 6 weeks... When the boot was on.. It was alotbof stretching and massaging...now at 11 weeks the boot is off and i will start more pt excersizes.... I started swimming this week... A lot of walking in pool.... Tradin water too! I was allowed to start swimming weeks ago bit due to the weather it was too difficult to get there.. It wa a great feeling to get back in the pool!!! Now that i am out of the boot i am in a sneaker with an ankle brace... I too feel the pain on the outer part if the ankle it doesn't tickle!! Make hubby massage it every night!!! Yes the heel is also very bothersome and not a picnic.....but it all beats how was just a few weeks ago!! Have a wonderful positively postive evening! Chairlady

Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
proudgrma
(female)

7 weeks today! We leave tomorrow to drive to the city where my Dr is. We'll stay overnight and have the appointment early Thursday morning. I'm hoping for the go ahead for the next step in recovery.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Chairlady
(female)

Chairlady HB UserChairlady HB User

Proudgrma! Congrats to u!! I am here rootin for u!!! Have a safe trip!! Hope u will do well by the dr!! Keep us posted! Chairlady

Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
someoneguy
(male)

someoneguy HB User

I started PT @ 9 weeks. My instructions are PWB standing only, no walking. PT is pretty simple since I can't stand. Right now I'm just doing some ankle isometrics, range of motions and using a towel to stretch my calves.. they also massage my leg and use cold laser therapy.

I meet with my surgeon next week, at which point I will be 12 weeks out. I'm pretty comfortable PWB to wear I'm getting confident to go FWB, but this one time I reached for something while weight bearing and put almost full weight on my foot and the pain was soooo bad. I don't mind getting through the pain, I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
wellies
(female)

wellies HB User

I'm really enjoying reading about everyone's experiences in/with PT. I am one week and 2 days post op. I'm still in the surgical splint and for the most part, still just stuck sitting/lying around. I can't WAIT to start pt in earnest. Right now, I do three sets of 10 of the following : toe wiggling both sides, pushing each knee to the ground in turn, and my personal favorite, "butt squeezes" to a three count on each side. I do these religiously twice a day, but it doesn't really feel like it's doing much of anything, except causing me more pain. Pain=Gain? That's kind of my hope. It's very encouraging to hear about y'all being further along and even being able to RUN and PLAY VOLLEY BALL!
Thanks for helping me stay motivated. And good luck to all in your various stages of recovery/rehab.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wellies

Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
left foot
Veteran
(female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl96 View Post
I started at 7 weeks, as soon as I went from the cast to the boot. At first they just did work on the scars and ROM exercises, I didn't start anything weight bearing for a week or two. I loved getting started with PT, I felt like I made so much progress and could see noticeable differences every time I went.
NCgirl96---I started PT this week (7 weeks post-op today) and loving it! Like you, I feel like it is making such a difference already, after only 2 sessions. I love the feeling that I'm finally moving forward and seeing some results. I'm also doing some range of motion at home. It's great to be out of that cast and able to give my skin & incisions some TLC.

Closed Thread