It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 3 wk post op Calcaneal Osteotomy w/flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
    mkhkwk
    (female)

mkhkwk HB User
    3 wk post op Calcaneal Osteotomy w/flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer

I am22 days post op and am still on pain meds. I had my surgery in a surgical center at 7:30 a.m. and was home that afternoon by 1:30 p.m.. I came-to in the recovery room with significant heel pain where the screws are located. Apparently the nerve block didn't work. My surgeon prescribed oxycodone 5-325 every 4-6 hours for pain, and it didn't touch the pain. I was on the phone with surgeon 2 days post surgery and he prescribed 4 oxycontin to add to the oxycodone and it still didn't relieve pain. I was taking 2 oxycodone every 4 hours and then the oxycontin. He wouldn't prescribe more pain medicine. I ended up in the ER and they gave me morphine for an hour and sent me home. I truly believe that if they kept me in the hospital post surgery for pain management, I would've had a much better experience, and pain wouldn't be such an issue. Sadly, I did not do enough research and to find a good surgeon who would hospitalize after the surgery. My surgeon is very well-respected in Atlanta and I just did whatever he said. This is my first surgery aside from a C-section, and I had a quick recovery, so I really have nothing to compare this surgery. I kept my foot elevated above my heart for 2 weeks only getting up to use the restroom. The staples were removed a week ago and I got a new cast. I had significant pain that day from staple removal, and took the oxycodone 3x that day, with 800mg advil in between. 4 days later, I had very little pain, but the cast was too tight. I went in and they split the cast and wrapped it with an ace bandage. I was feeling much better and made outings 3days in a row and was out for about 3-4 hours and elevated my foot as I was able where I went. I decreased oxycodone to 2x day at 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Yesterday, my foot was numb, burning and freezing at the same time all day and last night. I slept with it not elevated and woke up with the feeling back. Unfortunately the feeling is pain in the arch of my foot. I took advil early and then in a couple of hours I had significant pain in my heel from the screws again. I took an oxycodone. I am very discouraged, especially after reading that many of the posts show that others only needed prescription pain med for a week post op. I have to dig to get any information from my surgeon about what to expect in recovery. Surgeon says it is very individualized. He hasn't said my pain is out of the ordinary, but he hasn't said much of anything in terms of the recovery other than I should be 100% in a year. I do not like taking the pain medication it makes me feel so foggy. Has anyone else experienced pain this far from surgery? I saw the x-rays, and Dr. says I am healing well, so I don't understand why I still have this degree of pain. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
    sinclair34
    (female)

sinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB User
    Re: 3 wk post op Calcaneal Osteotomy w/flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer

I am so sorry to hear your story. I am also in Atlanta. Who is your surgeon? I am at Perimeter Orthopedics.
    I was not supposed to be admitted either, but the anesthesiologist forgot my block so I woke up in misery as well. I was put on Morphine pump, and admitted. I went home the next night, but it took a few days to get pain reasonably under control. At 3 wks you are still in the war zone. I expect you will see improvement in a few days. I pray that you will.

The Following User Says Thank You to sinclair34 For This Useful Post:
    mkhkwk (03-05-2014)
    Old 03-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
    proudgrma
    (female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User

It sounds like you may be doing too much with the kind of pain you describe. At 3 weeks I was still toes above nose except for using the bathroom. You say you were out 3 days in a row for 3-4 hours. Although we're all different that sounds like a lot to me. At least I know I couldn't even consider being out at 3 weeks, except to a Dr appointment. At 8 weeks I still elevate most of the day and ice a lot and am rarely out of the house. You might try icing and elevating and backing off activity for awhile, and hopefully your pain will decrease. I hope you have much less pain soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to proudgrma For This Useful Post:
    mkhkwk (03-05-2014)
    Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
    mkhkwk
    (female)

mkhkwk HB User
    Smile Re: 3 wk post op Calcaneal Osteotomy w/flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer

Hi,
    I appreciate you sharing your experience. It's a blessing that I found this message board. I feel good one day and want to get back out into the world. I'll take heed and stay in bed. I have been in bed for 2 days after my premature re-entrance to the world, and feel better this morning. I have no one to talk to who has been through this surgery, and I think I am supposed to be better by now. I'm curious to know if you are still taking rx pain meds. I am taking advil and Tylenol, but really only get relief from the percoset still. I'm trying to only take one early evening and one around 11 p.m. that gets me through the night. I've gotten accustomed to my cast, so things are looking up. I'd love to hear how things progress with you. Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
    proudgrma
    (female)

Is there anyone at your surgeon's office you could talk to about your activity level and use of pain meds? It doesn't sound like you are taking excessive amounts of Percocet, but only your personal doctor could counsel you on this. In general, I think your pain level will be directly connected to how much your foot is down, how much activity you do, and how much icing and elevating you are able to do. This is a long process of healing and rehabilitation. My surgeon said 12 to 18 months before full recovery. Hopefully you have some people around you who can do most of the cleaning, cooking, etc around your house so that your foot can rest and heal. As for me, my biggest struggles have been sleeping at night and getting depressed. I just started partial weight bearing today, and it feels good to actually be doing something. I occasionally take a Percocet at bedtime if my foot is really aching. Hang in there!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
    mkhkwk
    (female)

mkhkwk HB User
    Talking Re: 3 wk post op Calcaneal Osteotomy w/flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer

I just want to report that I have been without pain for 10 days. During the 4th week, I took 2 Tylenol 3x day instead of percoset-- the percoset made me feel terribly anxious. I followed your advice and stopped doing everything short of rolling to the bathroom and kept my foot elevated above my nose until I had my cast removed at 5 weeks. I've taken 2 Tylenol daily since, just in case and feel pretty good. I am now in a big boot, and using crutches (I've only used knee roller until the other day). I'll start PT and partial weight next week. I am not pushing it, though, if I feel uncomfortable I am going to back off. I am concerned that the screws in my heel will hurt, but my mother always said "don't borrow trouble," so I'm trying to be optimistic. When my cast was removed there was a growth that the dr. said I should have biopsied, so I made an appt. The next day as I had my foot elevated and was resting, my son's school called me to tell me he had lice and needed to come home and get treated. So 1 day after the cast came off I drove to his school to pick him up and drove both of us to a lice treatment ctr. to have me checked and his lice removed since I wasn't physically able to do it (and didn't have a clue how to do it). It was a miracle, but I didn't have lice. Of course, my husband was out of town! The next day, I had the growth on my shin that appeared since my surgery removed. The dermatologist is having it biopsied, but thinks it is nothing. Needless to say, I am taking the day to rest and elevate. Happily, I feel ok today after all of the excitement. The best news is that I can drive if necessary, and the freedom that I felt being outside of the house in our beautiful spring weather has given me quite a lift. I hope that you are feeling better every day, too!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
    proudgrma
    (female)

I've been off the boards for a couple weeks, but I was happy to see your update. You've had quite an eventful time! Good to hear your pain is under better control. I am almost 12 weeks now and am wearing a shoe and walking with a cane. The past couple of weeks have progressed faster than I expected. I do pool therapy 2x/week and have land therapy once a week. My PT is pretty aggressive, and that scared me at first. But I have learned to trust him and am surprised how quickly I went from boot to shoe and walker to cane. I still have a lot of swelling when I'm up for awhile, and the pain gets worse in the evening. I am getting out a bit but not for long periods of time...only a couple hours and I'm ready to go home. I just made plans to fly to visit my parents at the end of May and am hoping the swelling and pain is better by then. Hang in there, it's just a long haul.

Closed Thread