It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

What PWB is like for me

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
proudgrma
(female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User
What PWB is like for me

I've been PWB for a few days now, but I'm not sure what it really entails. I am using a walker and not able to use crutches because of an arm condition. I use my knee walker most of the time, but do "loops" around my house with my walker trying to do a heel-toe walking movement and bearing a small amount of weight. I start PT next week.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-26-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
wellies
(female)

wellies HB User
re: What PWB is like for me

Proudgrma: Although I am not even close to any kind of weight bearing (although i do get my first hard cast tomorrow, whoo hoooo!) I have had injuries in the past that involved transitioning from NWB to PWB etc. The first thing that I was allowed to do was stand. I had to crutch (no walking for me) but if I was standing stationary, I was to begin to experimient with putting weight on it. However, I didn't see a physical therapist and it wasn't a serious injury, so I am afraid I don't have much to offer. However, I will enjoy following this thread, not only for any info and advice, but also because it gives me something to look forward to. HA! PWB as something to look forward to. My, how far the mighty have fallen. (or in this case, perhaps not quite so mighty, but still scrappy as h e double hockey sticks) Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wellies

The Following User Says Thank You to wellies For This Useful Post:
proudgrma (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
shelleybutn
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

typically they say start with 50 lbs of pressure and add 25 lbs per week until you are full weight bearing. You can stand next to a scale and put your bad leg on it until you hit the desired amount to get a feel for how much pressure you should be putting on it. also, continue with doing the heel to toe motion so you get proper technique back. keep us posted how it goes.
Shell

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelleybutn For This Useful Post:
joni99005 (03-26-2014),proudgrma (03-11-2014),wellies (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
wellies
(female)

wellies HB User

shell,
awesome advice about the scale. I don't think of myself as one of the duller tools in the shed, but that idea would have completely escaped me. I'm adding that to my list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wellies

Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
proudgrma
(female)

I just got back from my first PT appt. Wow! This therapist is especially meticulous, but 2 hours of evaluating? Then he had me do some pwb using the parallel bars. He kept asking me to put more weight down, and it hurt like crazy....mostly my heel. I'm using a walker, and he wants me to wean off it in the next couple of weeks. I can't imagine. I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now.

The following user gives a hug of support to proudgrma:
wellies (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
wellies
(female)

wellies HB User

Proudgrma:

I'm so sorry to hear that you are discouraged and hurting. I have never been through any kind of major rehab like this will entail, but I did on one occasion tear some tendons/ligaments in my hand and I had to do 3 weeks of PT. I remember the first couple of appointments telling the therapist that if it hurt that badly to do what she was asking, then surely it must be causing damage. I later heard, from one of my friends, that some therapists intentionally push harder and ask for more than they think you can handle, especially at first. Something about this letting the idea "settle in" that this is going to be a painful process. I will say, I was really discouraged the first week, but by the second week, I was able to tell what pain was "bad" pain and what pain was progress pain. It is really important to be honest with your PT about that. He may be able to further explain what he is having you do. It might, also, not be a bad Idea to talk to your surgeon for a second opinion. Did your surgeon refer you to this therapist?

In the meantime, I'm so sorry that you are struggling, but I'm glad that there is a place where you (and all of us) are able to vent and process with a group of people who know so much about what you are going through.

I will keep you in my thoughts with love, strength, happiness and hope.

-wellies

wellies

Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Peach86
(female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User

When I started PWB (at 6 weeks postop), my surgeon told me that my foot would be fine if I just walked out of the office without crutches but that it takes most people about 2 weeks to reach FWB...My biggest concern was injuring myself :P The first day or so, I just touched my foot to the ground. Over the next couple of weeks, I gradually added more weight as I felt comfortable. I had quite a bit of heel pain as well...My therapist said it came from my heel not being used to bearing weight and the soft tissues being tight from being in the same position for 6 weeks. Each day, I would try to push myself to do a bit more than I was comfortable with around my house or office. Then, I would take it easy and use my crutches when I was going to be up for awhile. Some days were easier than others (and still are at 6 months postop )...Most days I looked ridiculous wobbling around trying to get my foot to function somewhat normally again...But, sure enough, right around 2 weeks after I began PWB, I suddenly began to be able to walk much better. Practice a little bit each day, but still baby your foot with ice and elevation when possible...PWB can be frustrating, but it's one step closer to recovery Good luck!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peach86 For This Useful Post:
joni99005 (03-26-2014),left foot (03-12-2014),proudgrma (03-12-2014),wellies (03-14-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
proudgrma
(female)

Wellies, thank you. I have slept very little the past two nights so fatigue may be part of it. It does seem aggressive to go from nwb to walking in a boot without any assistive device in 3 weeks. But, I've never been here before! It's a good reminder to be honest with my PT. I live in a smallish town, but I had my surgery in a bigger city. There are few PTs who treat foot reconstruction patients here. So, my doctor did not specifically refer me here, but they are well respected and have treated me before. I agree that I should contact my surgeon tomorrow and ask more specifics. I'd love to hear what others experience was when they started PT and the progression from nwb to pwb to fwb. I appreciate your encouragement and wish you well in your recovery.

Last edited by proudgrma; 03-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
shelleybutn
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

the transition from nwb to fwb is a painful process and dependent on the specific injury/surgery. 3 weeks isn't terrible for what you had done. I had a triple arthrodesis and was on a 50 lb start, then added 25 lbs per week. The first 2-3 weeks for my surgery was the hardest for pwb pain. Your tissues need to get used to working again.

When I started pwb, I had intense pain all around my ankle joint, especially when I took the weight off of my foot. It was weird. But normal. And it went away after I think 2 weeks. I also had a fusion done on four of my bones so had a lot of bone healing pain.

Hang in there, it will get better. day by day. week by week.

Last edited by shelleybutn; 03-11-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add more

The Following User Says Thank You to shelleybutn For This Useful Post:
wellies (03-12-2014)
Closed Thread