It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Help after great toe fusion

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
AthleticJane
(female)

AthleticJane HB User
Question Help after great toe fusion

Hi - I am 5 months post op from a 1st MPJ great toe fusion that came as a big surprise. I was really into boot camps, dancing and cross training for 20 years and enjoyed every moment - it was only an hour or so a day so it was not what destroyed my joint, but this is a huge blow to my life and health now that I am so restricted. I am 41. I fractured the toe two years ago in yoga of all things ("flying" from crow to a plank I jammed it) and so they think maybe that started the degeneration due to the genetic shape of my metatarsals etc. At any rate I pray it is not a hidden auto immune thing. My question is this - yes I am following up with both my Dr and a new PT but I wanted to ask the real people on the boards who have lived through this or know others - if I have been trying to get back into my old routine with much modification and had been perfectly happy and fine but now about 3 weeks into it I have INTENSE pain and redness - on my toes pads - not the surgery itself - the surgery area feels fine - but on my 3rd and 4th little toes at the tip it HURTS and those tips of the toes are a bright red and also on the underneath of the big toe pad there is great pain and a bright red spot that looks atiny bit raised WHAT is THIS? And does this mean I must cease all activities in case it never goes away and does damage to an extent of causing bone spurs or is this paina nd redness on these new areas "normal" callousing -maybe this has to occur due to new wear patterns from the altered gait and I need to just tough it out. I have a high pain tolerance so when I say it is painful when I hit these portions of my feet - which is basically every step unless I am completely flat and only in socks - I mean it is a 9 or 10 out of 10 pain. What on earth does this mean? Does anyone have a similar story adn did it just turn into a normal old painless callous or is this something more dangerous? Meanwhile I have stopped all forefoot-ed pressure exercises until I sort this out and it BLOWS! So worried! Help!?!? Oops, one more detail - I had also been wearing one inch heels for a month with no problem and had just been playing around with 45 minutes here and there in 2 inch heels - is it the activity or the shoes causing this pain and redness in the other areas of the foot and if so do I tough it out or cease immediately!?!?! Help!?!?

Last edited by AthleticJane; 03-11-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spell check!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Help after great toe fusion

You're probably putting more pressure on an area of your foot that it's accustomed to. I'd check in with your ortho for suggestions.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
AthleticJane
(female)

AthleticJane HB User

It turned out to be a neuroma that developed as a complication - just as you suggested - due to the pressure changes perhaps permanently due to the gait changes post fusion or perhaps from the period of time when I was allowed to begin to bear weght but was rolling to put the pressue onto my outer side of foot - I have now learned to NOT limp post op or walk odd post op if you can help it because you can cause these complications that are painful and a set back. All of MArch and into April I couldn't move well due to the neoroma - after two injections it is better but now I just had the hardware removed so I am setback again with activity - hopefully after this recovery I can be active again. I am concerned however that I cannot find personal stories of post fusion athletic-types after 2-3 years - no reports on a jogger, for example, 20 years post op - even 10 years. I am only 41 so I am worried that I may be ok but only til 45 or so and that the rest of my life there will be a lot of complications - please give personal testimonials if you know someone active 20+ years post toe fusion. It is such a black hole of no info long term!

Last edited by AthleticJane; 05-14-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spell checker

Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There are some long term folks who post here every now and then. Also, Leyton Hewitt, a pro tennis player, has a fused great toe.

Closed Thread

Tags
foot fusion surgery