It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Ankle Instability

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Lgibby24
(female)

Lgibby24 HB User
Ankle Instability

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with ankle instability about 5 or so months ago. I am only 22 years old but played basketball my whole life with numerous ankle sprains and me not allowing them to heal properly. Last doctor visit I was told I had some tears in my ligaments. Wasn't told the extent of them but was told to watch when I feel unstable to the most. Anytime I am going up on my tip toes I feel my ankle shaking, any streets that are not smooth it turns very easily, and any time I wear even the smallest of heels I instantly feel vulnerable. Already tried physical therapy and didn't see much different. They also told me I have begun to get tendonitis on the inside top of my foot.

I guess I am trying to get as much information from everyone who has gone through this, the surgery process, just any information anyone can give me please!!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Runner6
(male)

Runner6 HB User
Re: Ankle Instability

I have had instability in my ankles for years as well and tried bracing and PT. I ended up needing surgery for a tendon tear, so ortho fixed my instability at the same time. Now, for someone who is very active, it can be a long road after any ankle surgery. However, in my case, it was worth it. My right ankle is amazing. I never knew how unstable it was until it was fixed! I did PT and lots of rehab, but I was able to get back to everything I love to do and it holds up fine.

I'm not sure about the specific recovery for only lateral ligament repair tho. Maybe someone else can speak to that. I'm getting ready to have surgery on my other ankle next week for instability and peroneal subluxation. I will be NWB for 4-6 weeks and then partial, then full. Ortho said it will be around 4 months before I can run or do any jumping sports.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
danabarb
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Ankle Instability

I am a person who played years and years of tennis, biked and you name it, so have always been very athletic. However, my ankles have been so weak for years, I could not ice skate or ski and I thought it was something I was born with and just accepted it. A orthopedic man referred me to a man who made orthotics for me and those were worn for years. All of a sudden the weakness caught up with me because my feet, ankles, legs and hips were not working together and everything became weak. Fortunately, I found a man who majored in body mechanics and he has made my arches much much stronger (at one time, I had NO arch), he has strengthened my legs from the hips on down and what a difference he has made in my life. Many years before meeting him, I had bunion surgery, but if I had known him then, I never would have had the surgery. Bunions are caused by weakness in the hips, legs ankles and feet. I could see where my bunions were coming back about two years ago. Since this man has worked on me, my feet are nice and straight. I would stay clear of any podiatrist and orthotics, if I were you and would not let anyone cut into my feet until you have checked out, thoroughly, as to whether someone like the man I am referring to, can help you. Maybe rest will help you for one thing. Oh, I was also in physical therapy at two different places and NONE of those people were as schooled as the man who has been treating me. Orthotics just make the leg, hip and foot much much weaker. I speak from experience. Good luck.

Closed Thread