It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

ankle distraction

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
hardy
(male)

hardy HB User
ankle distraction

anybody undergoing ankle distraction right now or soon? Would love to share experiences...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
HildeW
(female)

HildeW HB UserHildeW HB User
Re: ankle distraction

Hello Hardy,
Are you in the frame right now, or will you be soon? I wish you good luck and little pain.
And maybe most important a lot of patience.
I am now 4 months out and still trying to walk without crutches. Improvement is steady but very slow.

Be well,
Hilde

The Following User Says Thank You to HildeW For This Useful Post:
hardy (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
hardy
(male)

hardy HB User

I am having my surgery tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to this whole experience from what I have been reading. Are you still having pain 4 months out?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
hardy
(male)

hardy HB User

Just as an update: I had my ankle distraction surgery Monday. They also debrided sine dead bone and the entire procedure ended up taking 4 hours (2 were planned). I have been having a lot of pain at the pin sites since then. Tuesday I felt very sick to my stomach and threw up a couple of times. Things started getting better Wednesday evening and we actually took a stroll through the hospital. Yesterday I was discharged with a lot of pain medication. As long as I keep my leg up and take pain meds I am fine. However, I am told that this will get better. I just hope it's all worth it in the end. Would be a shame to go through all this just to need a fusion right after.

Last edited by hardy; 04-04-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
otis736
(male)

otis736 HB User

Hardy, I am just over 6 months frame removal (October) with the original surgery taking place in late July. I was in the frame for 10 weeks. Something to keep in mind is that the Dr considers the start of everything once the frame is removed. While it is not an easy undertaking, I can say that I am in a good place today. I still have some pain, but this is mostly from mussel and tendons, my ankle joint feels great. I have not felt pain from a storm since July! I would say any pain I experience would be equivalent to a light sprain at this point, but each day it gets better.

I would be happy to share my experience with you and of course shed light on things you will need. (IE Gym Shorts, since pants will not fit over the frame). Make sure you do your stretching exercises. Trust me on this one, you might feel some pain but you will be happy you did in the end.

Rest up, stay positive and you will get through it. Just keep remembering that you 1 day closer to being back to normal. Each day you will find that it gets just a little bit better, but stay positive it does take a while.

Closed Thread