It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Other foot going bad. Will I be able to start walking on new foot?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
left foot
Veteran
(female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User
Other foot going bad. Will I be able to start walking on new foot?

Is there anyone out there who's nonsurgical foot started going bad and causing you considerable discomfort while the other foot was healing? I think the tendon is bad in that one as well. How did you manage the PWB process and still save your other foot? Right now it's hurting but tolerable because I'm using the knee scooter, which doesn't put as much strain on it as if I were using a walker or crutches. However, when I start PWB in another week or so I'll have no other choice but to use the walker or crutches. I'm really nervous about how this is going to go if I'm supposed to be learning how to walk on my new foot but my other foot can't take a lot of pressure. Anybody been there?

Last edited by left foot; 03-20-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
TamiNicole
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User
Re: Other foot going bad. Will I be able to start walking on new foot?

Yup, definitely been there! It's not as bad as you think.

Once you start PWB, the biggest help for me was to practice transferring weight from one foot to the other. (Basically take one foot and put it about 1 step ahead of the other and just practice transferring weight from the back foot to the front. Alternate which foot is in front so you learn to push off from the surgical foot, and also what it's like to accept weight on the surgical foot.)

Plus, it's not like you're going to be running a marathon anytime soon so your other foot will not have it too hard.

Good luck!

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Old 03-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Powerplay
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by left foot View Post
Is there anyone out there who's nonsurgical foot started going bad and causing you considerable discomfort while the other foot was healing? How did you manage the PWB process and still save your other foot? Right now it's hurting but tolerable because I'm using the knee scooter, which doesn't put as much strain on it as if I were using a walker or crutches. However, when I start PWB in another week or so I'll have no other choice but to use the walker or crutches. I'm really nervous about how this is going to go if I'm supposed to be learning how to walk on my new foot but my other foot is not very strong. Anybody been there?
I agree with Taminicole. You probably have noticed knee and possibly hip pain too and that is because your body is not distributing weight properly because of the problem ankle. Once you are in PT you will notice much more mobility. You also need to work the muscles in your lower body at the gym. Your calf, on the bad ankle, has probably atrophied a bit too so ask your PT for exercises to build up the muscles. While you may have a problem with your left foot it will get better. While my surgery was different, I too started thinking my good foot was going bad so my doctor prescribed ankle brace to prevent the arch from falling on the good foot. Sadly, I never wear it as I find in annoying and sometimes causes a small blister and I should bring it back for an adjustment - one of these days.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
left foot
Veteran
(female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerplay View Post
I agree with Taminicole. You probably have noticed knee and possibly hip pain too and that is because your body is not distributing weight properly because of the problem ankle. Once you are in PT you will notice much more mobility. You also need to work the muscles in your lower body at the gym. Your calf, on the bad ankle, has probably atrophied a bit too so ask your PT for exercises to build up the muscles. While you may have a problem with your left foot it will get better. While my surgery was different, I too started thinking my good foot was going bad so my doctor prescribed ankle brace to prevent the arch from falling on the good foot. Sadly, I never wear it as I find in annoying and sometimes causes a small blister and I should bring it back for an adjustment - one of these days.
Thanks Powerplay, I asked my surgeon for a flat foot brace for my right foot this past week. I started PWB which is putting even more pressure on it, but I hope the brace will see me through until I can get to the point of distributing my weight more evenly. I agree with the annoying part though. This brace is so bulky I can barely fit it in my shoe, which is going to discourage me from wanting to use it.

Closed Thread